Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A local gun and pawn store has the Ruger LCP for $219.95 + tax. I'm not sure if it's Gen1 or Gen2 - asked the guy over the phone and he said he wasn't sure but they're new...him not knowing worries me a little bit.

I'm currently pocket carrying a Bauer .25 ACP but looking to move to something more powerful and reliable while still pocket carrying.

A couple newbie questions:

- This is my 1st gun purchase in 20+ years so what should I be looking for to make sure this gun is legit and brand new?

- Does anyone have a link to a good picture showing the difference between the Gen1 and Gen2 so I can check to see which model it is before I buy it?
From what I've been able to find out the sights are a bit larger on the Gen2.

- Would you consider the LCP Gen2 (or Gen1 for that matter) a great purchase for $220?

Thanks for any advice!!!

BCubed

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
They were all the rage Black Friday for that price or lower so chances are very good it is recent production.

If you really want some power in your pocket, look at the LCR357 :D But at least twice the cost, and then some probably

·
Registered
644 Posts
I have an older Gen 1. It was pre-recall, and has the diamond etched under the hammer. I have not handled the new ones, but I did find this (with pictures) to help you out.

Ruger's Updating the LCP (2 PHOTOS) - Guns.com

How do you tell if it's brand new? Well, mine has significant wear on the frame slides when disassembled. The bluing on the barrel is slightly worn. A new gun should still have the "goop" on it, and probably in a plastic bag on the inside of the box. If you know anything about the pawn shop, it should help you to know they're not trying to lie to you. And him not knowing what "gen" they are shouldn't be too much of a concern. You'd be surprised how many people working with guns don't know much about guns. And, even if they do, there are so many different makes, models, generations, and even variations in the guns (especially Ruger!) that's it's a full time job just trying to keep up with stuff.

The price seems solid to me. I would say if it is a gun you want, jump on it. Save $25 on the side for a pocket holster and run some rounds through it and you should be good to go. You'll be surprised just how good of a shooter those little guns are.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Simple way to tell what Gen it is. If their is a dash in the serial number = Gen 1. If not = Gen 2. The trigger is better they say on Gen 2. Ruger dropped the price by at least $100. I saw them online for $199.00 during the crazy days sales (Holidays). I suggest the Gen 2 for the better trigger. I think it's a darn nice deep concealed carry pistol!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Regardless if it's Gen1 or Gen2 for that price. If it's still NIB that's a great price. You wouldn't be disappointed with either.

I've got a Gen1 and have never seen a need to "up-grade". Sights are better for sure on the Gen2, but I actually prefer the long trigger pull of the first gen. Seems more appropriate for a pocket carry mouse gun. With some careful application of brightly colored nail polish, you'd be surprised how well you can see the VERY minimalist sight on the Gen1.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Not to complicate things, but you may also want to take a look at the LCP Custom. I have a generation 1 LCP, and the LCP Custom is kind of making me want to upgrade. I especially like the improved sights, & I don't think they'd adversely affect concealability much if at all. The MSRP is only $10 more than the plain Jane LCP. Ruger® LCP® Custom Centerfire Pistol Models

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've had an lcp since they released, upgraded from a key Tec p32. I hate shooting it but I love carrying it. Never had an issue with it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've had an lcp since they released, upgraded from a key Tec p32. I hate shooting it but I love carrying it. Never had an issue with it.
I think that's a pretty general consensus. They are definitely not a fun range gun, but for the size and with modern 380 ammo, it's really hard to beat for the price/size as a self defense gun if pocket carrying.

And yes, low $200's is what you should pay for it. Ruger dropped the MSRP on this gun around black friday and they were selling at $199 a lot of places online. Prices went up a little after as the lower prices resulted in most places selling out.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
If anyone is interested, Kentucky Gun Co. has 500 of the LCP Customs in route & the price is $219.99 & free shipping to your FFL.:cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just purchased an LCP for the wife to carry with her. Couldn't be happier with the quality and price can't be beat. Paid $225 for it in purple. She's happy which means I'm happy lol. The no safety factor did make me a bit nervous at first but when it comes right down to it they are not going to make something that is prone to firing without pulling the trigger. I think it will be perfect for her.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hi, Hope you dont mind if I jump in here with a relevant question, but I have a Gen 1 with the dash in serial number. However, no diamond behind hammer. So whats yup with this diamond etching ? Has mine been recalled and I did not know ? It works fine.....

·
Registered
99 Posts
What are the first 3 numbers of your serial number... only the 370's were recalled. all following were good to go.

Note the 370's with no dash were not subject to the recall as they are Gen 2.

·
Registered
99 Posts
What are the first 3 numbers of your serial number... only the 370's were recalled. all following were good to go.

Note the 370's with no dash were not subject to the recall as they are Gen 2.
Mine is a Gen 1 with a 375 SN. Apparently by this time they had stopped marking them with the diamond to show that the issue had been fixed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought the LCP custum from Ky. Gun Co. on their black friday sale. 215.99 and free shipping. Just had to pay a 15 FFL transfere. I love this gun. I have 300 rounds through it with no issues. I carry in my back pocket daily. I thought the improved sites on the custom we be easier to to aquire and it think they are judging from my range time. I would highly recommend this gun.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts