Ruger Forum banner

Does your LCP max have problems?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just upgraded to one from my Original LCP. All I can say is I should have waited a year until Ruger worked out the kinks or upped their QC. The slide stop does not work. Unless I push upward on the mag. It does not go into battery about 25 percent of the time. Have to slap it in.. The other 25 percent. The nose of round jams on the feed ramp or the top of the breach. It's a mag problem. They are junk. The ramp and bore could use a good polishing. I wiped it down with some oil as soon as I brought it home. There was rust slightly forming on the barrel surface rust that could not be seen unless you shined a bright light on it. Same on the inside of the slide where the barrel breach rubs it. Horrible finish job. Needs to be really lubed up. The hammer spring scratches against the mag. Caused a pretty good gouge on it. I'm in the process of talking to Ruger's warranty department. So not worth buying right now. Seems hit or miss with these. Anyone else having issues?

·
Banned
258 Posts
I know the Ruger forum had a lot of failures to lock back. From what I understand they had a bad batch of magazines. Not sure the recoil springs are calibrated correctly. I had many problems with a LC9S, and it turned out that Ruger redid the recoil springs and it ran fine. I had a SR22 that I bought when it first came out. All kinds of problems with the slide. Sent it back twice and then they replaced the gun and it runs like a top and very reliable. All my other Rugers run great. I have had many LCP's. The Gen 2 (Not LCP ll) was the best they made IMO. Still have one. Do not shoot it very often, moved on to other pocket guns. The LCP's I owned all went down from cracks etc. However they were great at shooting just about anything.
Good Luck, It may take some time, but Ruger will eventually make it right.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had rust issues. I ended up scrubbing the slide barrel with a brass brush and tons of clp and barricade. Need to stay diligent or the rust comes back. Ruger did send me a new magazine due to the spring issue in the mag. Other than inferior metal treatment and rust the gun works great. I just wish they charged a few dollars more and did a real finish on the slide / barrel

·
Registered
658 Posts
Seems like the entire LCP lineup is pretty hit & miss. The three that I had were all bad; One .380 LCP II & Two .22 LCP II’s

·
Registered
608 Posts
My LCP Max runs fine. When you say "The slide stop does not work. Unless I push upward on the mag.", do you mean that it doesn't lock open on an empty mag when cycled by hand, or do you mean that the slide stop lever does not work? If the former, that has been noticed by most. If I rack the slide vigorously with an empty mag, it will lock back. Mine has never failed to lock back on an empty magazine when shooting though. I don't see it as an issue as I always drop the magazine and then cycle the slide and use the slide stop lever to lock it open.

I have not experienced the failure to go into battery or the rust issues. Mine has not been ammo picky either. I have fired Winchester (both JHP and ball), Perfecta, and steel cased Wolf through mine. I've only had one failure to feed issue and that was within the first 10 rounds if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The OP's reported problems have been repeatedly posted here and also on other forums I frequent. His issues are NOT "outliers" or just some random dissatsfied new owner. This is beyond troubling. Ruger seriously needs to get their pistol manufacturing act together imo. I don't think I'll spring for another Ruger when my LCPII wears out unless these kind of reports become less frequent. Seems like a crapshoot on what you're gonna get at this time.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Mine has functioned fine, however I’ve only fired 1 box of fmj through it.

I do believe it’s lighter recoiling and easier shooting than my first LCP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mine has functioned fine, however I’ve only fired 1 box of fmj through it.

I do believe it’s lighter recoiling and easier shooting than mine first LCP.

My "failure to lock back on empty" started showing up after a couple of boxes of FMJ and about 15 rounds of my SD ammo.

The mags I bough work fine UNTIL they break in after 2-3 boxes.

Frankly, I don't REALLY care about the lockback, but I like everything I own to actually work as designed.

The odds of a private citizen like myself firing 11 rounds and still being in the fight when the lockback occurs are so small that it's not worth considering.

Biggest problem is now I can't 100% trust the tools I'm using.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just upgraded to one from my Original LCP. All I can say is I should have waited a year until Ruger worked out the kinks or upped their QC. The slide stop does not work. Unless I push upward on the mag. It does not go into battery about 25 percent of the time. Have to slap it in.. The other 25 percent. The nose of round jams on the feed ramp or the top of the breach. It's a mag problem. They are junk. The ramp and bore could use a good polishing. I wiped it down with some oil as soon as I brought it home. There was rust slightly forming on the barrel surface rust that could not be seen unless you shined a bright light on it. Same on the inside of the slide where the barrel breach rubs it. Horrible finish job. Needs to be really lubed up. The hammer spring scratches against the mag. Caused a pretty good gouge on it. I'm in the process of talking to Ruger's warranty department. So not worth buying right now. Seems hit or miss with these. Anyone else having issues?
My LCP Max had the fail to go fully into battery. About 3 times per mag using three different mags. It would be about 1mm from going fully into battery. I sent it back to Ruger and they replaced the slide and barrel. I have another 200 rounds since it came back and zero malfunctions. My only problem is hitting low POA vs POI. I installed Lasermax green laser and sighted in the laser at 7 yards. Using laser only,good groups one handed.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
I have 2 of them. One has 595 rounds downrange, and the only problem is that it doesn't like feeding Fiocchi FMJ. They just stop on the feed ramp, and whacking the slide completes the chambering. First range trip 9 out of 100, second range trip 2 out of 50, third range trip 1 out of 50. No problems other than that.

The second one has 435 rounds. One failure to lock back on empty.

I like 'em.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree Ruger needs to upgrade QC. My LCP Max barrel exploded after 29 rounds. I took it to my gunsmith and stated barrel had a manufacturing defect That should have been caught by QC. This is unacceptable. I got minor cuts from shrapnel in my face. Thank God I was wearing safety glasses.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just ran 50 rnds through my max, Hollow point and three other brands including flat nose and have had zero problems so far. Well, besides shooting low and has a 8# pull. Which is ridiculous on such a light fire arm. New rear sights and lighter trigger springs are in it's future.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I agree Ruger needs to upgrade QC. My LCP Max barrel exploded after 29 rounds. I took it to my gunsmith and stated barrel had a manufacturing defect That should have been caught by QC. This is unacceptable. I got minor cuts from shrapnel in my face. Thank God I was wearing safety glasses.
Did you send it back, were you compensated?

Factory ammo or reloads?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Also agree. And it's not just Ruger. The never-ending quest to reduce cost in materials, engineering and manufacturing while increasing profits is impacting many manufacturers. My wife's S&W 380 EZ has been back to the factory to correct a recall and is still unreliable (regardless of ammo selection) to the point I do not trust it as a HD weapon for her. It has been replaced with a revolver and will be liquidated. I also have past experiences with multiple Taurii, other Rugers (SR22 and now LCP II in 22lr), and even my brand new Steyr pistol experienced an out-of-battery slide lock up with a live round in the chamber on its first outing. I have ordered an LCP II Max, and can only hope it is a "good one"...which in itself is a sad thing to have to say.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just ran a box of Fiocchi FMJ without any issues. It's hard to put 10 rounds in in the mag bare handed. If you do, I had problems getting the mag locked. Shoots low (30 ft) or that could be me. Would like to have a different rear sight (eyesight not that great anymore. Otherwise, no issues.
Road surface Gas Circle Font Recreation

1 - 17 of 17 Posts