Ruger Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends, I bought an LCP I a month ago. So far, I like it a lot and it’s perfect for a small pocket pistol.

I’m at round 167, as of today:
  • 50 rounds FMJ Winchester
  • 107 rounds FMJ PMC
  • 10 rounds Critical Defense
So far, all slow aimed shots have functioned flawlessly. However, with three magazines with rapid fire the gun jammed at about the 3rd round. FTE I think. This happened with both FMJ ammunition brands, but not a mag of critical defense. I read the LCP needs a break in of 200 rounds. Is that true? The Winchester FMJ has a flat tip. The range attendant said it could be the mag springs.

Hood Bumper Carbon Automotive exterior Rectangle

·
Registered
693 Posts
I posted elsewhere with a pic of my LCP after it returned from factory service. I was not having the same problems as yours, but it came back with a heavily polished feed ramp. It has worked fine ever since. You mentioned the Winchester FMJ's. Mine were truncated at the end, almost like wad cutters. I could see how those might hang up on feeding.

·
Registered
94 Posts
On this I would more suspect the extractor.
You say rapid fire?......is it possible that with this rapid fire that you may possibly be loosening your grip a little?
If you try it again- and pay special attention to keeping a firm grip....wonder if it would misfeed?

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Honestly, I would shoot it more to see if it gets better. Less than 200 rounds through the gun, no issues with critical defense ammo, I think the gun just needs to be run more. Particularly the Winchester is going to be a lighter loading, especially if it’s white box. Shoot it more and you might find it to break in a little more and it will function better with everything. Might just need a bit more break in.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You say rapid fire?......is it possible that with this rapid fire that you may possibly be loosening your grip a little?
If you try it again- and pay special attention to keeping a firm grip....wonder if it would misfeed?
I thought of this, and while I did pay attention to this need with aimed shots, it's possible I didn't do so properly with rapid fire. I was attempting a few drills with two to center mass, one to the head with the target. Maybe I need to master it and break it in first.

Honestly, I would shoot it more to see if it gets better. Less than 200 rounds through the gun, no issues with critical defense ammo, I think the gun just needs to be run more. Particularly the Winchester is going to be a lighter loading, especially if it’s white box. Shoot it more and you might find it to break in a little more and it will function better with everything. Might just need a bit more break in.
Yea, that is my plan for the moment. It was Winchester white box for sure. Although, it did the same with PMC.

I posted elsewhere with a pic of my LCP after it returned from factory service. I was not having the same problems as yours, but it came back with a heavily polished feed ramp. It has worked fine ever since. You mentioned the Winchester FMJ's. Mine were truncated at the end, almost like wad cutters. I could see how those might hang up on feeding.
Yes, they are truncated almost like semi-wadcutters. But, PMC round nose FMJ had the same issue.

·
Registered
812 Posts
This may be completely irrelevant, but I've found in both my recent gun purchases that I need to clean the chamber really well out of the box, as I couldn't get my dry fire laser in the chamber until I cleaned it.

Not sure if that could explain it being different for slow vs rapid shots, but just in case it helps.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This may be completely irrelevant, but I've found in both my recent gun purchases that I need to clean the chamber really well out of the box, as I couldn't get my dry fire laser in the chamber until I cleaned it.

Not sure if that could explain it being different for slow vs rapid shots, but just in case it helps.
Thanks for the insight. I'll make sure to clean it really well including the chamber before my next range session. I really want to make this thing work, even if I have to send it back to Ruger. I'm not there yet, because as I said the gun seems to be firing fine in slow fire mode.

Interesting side point. Some ranges don't allow rapid fire. This situation has demonstrated that hypothetically, someone only going to such a range would not discover this error, but then they could run into an issue in a self defense situation?

·
Registered
187 Posts
These super small 380 pistols tend to need to be very clean to run well. I sometimes notice reliability issues after only a few boxes of ammo. 167 rounds would certainly be the point where many 380 pistols would start gumming up.

I'd also tend to think that if the gun is only malfunctioning during rapid fire that there may be an issue with grip/technique.

On these small pistols it's easy for your hand to inadvertently interfere with the slide. It's also easy for your grip to loosen up since there isn't a whole lot of real-estate to grab onto in the first place.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
These super small 380 pistols tend to need to be very clean to run well. I sometimes notice reliability issues after only a few boxes of ammo. 167 rounds would certainly be the point where many 380 pistols would start gumming up.

I'd also tend to think that if the gun is only malfunctioning during rapid fire that there may be an issue with grip/technique.

On these small pistols it's easy for your hand to inadvertently interfere with the slide. It's also easy for your grip to loosen up since there isn't a whole lot of real-estate to grab onto in the first place.
The grip part may make sense with the difficulty in retaining the grip during rapid fire. I'll focus on that next time.

As far as cleaning, I cleaned it after the first 100 rounds. Then it had the rapid fire malfunction in the next 50 rounds, as well as a few times in the first 100 rounds. I'll clean it again though before my next visit.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
I responded in the other thread.. I'd send it back to the mothership.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I thank my lucky stars I got a good LCPII three years ago when they were made in Prescott AZ. With replacement recoil springs at about 1000- 1200 rounds and recently using it sparingly at the range (I generally only put about 25 or so rounds through it each range trip now that I'm proficient with it), it has never had any failures or malfunctions at all. Lots of reported problems with the LCP line -- I guess I got one from a good batch. I pocket carry it with confidence that it will do the job needed.

·
Registered
104 Posts
This is my take. No offense OP but to me these malfunctions might be shooter induced. It might indicate it just needs a bit more breaking in. During rapid fire I guess it will naturally not have as solid of a “brace” to push against.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is my take. No offense OP but to me these malfunctions might be shooter induced. It might indicate it just needs a bit more breaking in. During rapid fire I guess it will naturally not have as solid of a “brace” to push against.

That may be true, but if it is it’s solely due to micro size. I’ve tried diligently to not limp wrist. I don’t have this issue with other semi autos including shooting some other small guns. But, in my next visit I will focus in on this. I’m amenable to your point being possible because it didn’t jam in slow fire.

·
Registered
104 Posts
That may be true, but if it is it’s solely due to micro size. I’ve tried diligently to not limp wrist. I don’t have this issue with other semi autos including shooting some other small guns. But, in my next visit I will focus in on this. I’m amenable to your point being possible because it didn’t jam in slow fire.
Yeah that fact is just weird it doesn’t do it then. It may not be something you are doing wrong or poor form. I think it is physically impossible to provide as solid of brace for it during rapid fire. It may be indicative of it needing just a bit more wearing in. It’s on the brink of working fine. If it doesn’t get better I’m pretty sure Ruger has really good customer service. Hope it gets worked out.

·
Registered
550 Posts
If it functions properly with slow fire there is nothing wrong with the gun or your ammo. If problems develop during rapid fire it's you.

Reactions: mndoggie

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah that fact is just weird it doesn’t do it then. It may not be something you are doing wrong or poor form. I think it is physically impossible to provide as solid of brace for it during rapid fire. It may be indicative of it needing just a bit more wearing in. It’s on the brink of working fine. If it doesn’t get better I’m pretty sure Ruger has really good customer service. Hope it gets worked out.

The problem is they are tiny. It’s not easy to keep a solid purchase on it during rapid fire. I do not have limp wristing problems with any of my other semi autos.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts