Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an LCPII that came with an extended 7 round magazine which also provides a longer grip surface. It seems like the extra round is able to fit because of the grip extension that allows the mag spring to drop into it providing the extra room. Since the pistol also came with a Flush Floor Plate for the magazine as well, assumed this can replace the extended grip, providing a shorter grip profile and returning the mag to 6 rounds. However, the flush floor plate provided does not seem to mount properly and do the job. I have searched the internet and cannot find anyone explaining how this is intended to work or how to convert the magazine from extended to low profile. Am I missing an additional magazine component to do this? Maybe this is not the intention of Ruger, but then I am confused as why Ruger would provide the flush floor plate if I cannot use it. If anyone could explain this to me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,
Joe

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Keep the extended mag as is and buy a standard 6 round magazine.

The extended magazines make my LCP a much more comfortable gun to shoot and barely decreases concealability.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,242 Posts
Keep the extended mag as is and buy a standard 6 round magazine.

The extended magazines make my LCP a much more comfortable gun to shoot and barely decreases concealability.
^^^^^ Yep. Problem solved. The six round is for pocket carry and the longer one is your backup mag / range mag.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Chances are good that if you get into a situation that you need to draw your CCW, it will last less than 5 seconds and you would only be able to get off 3 to 4 rounds anyway. So a 6 round magazine will be more than enough.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the suggestions folks. I intend on purchasing additional magazines both 6 and 7 rounds. However, what I am really after here, is why is Ruger giving us the flush floor plate if it is not good for anything and is the 7 round mag able to be converted or not? The manual has nothing related to this and nobody seems to know at this point. I have asked the question of Ruger as well and waiting for a reply. If I get an answer I will post for whoever might be interested as well.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I didn't know the 7 round mag came with LCP II. It didn't come with the Gen 2s. Mine came with a 6 round mag with 2 floorplates, flush and pinky extension. I can't say if the floor plates can be interchanged on the 7 round mag.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
OP, did you buy this new or used?

Not sure if anyone will have an answer as to the interchangeability of the floorplates. Likely uses different springs and floorplates between the 6 and 7.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update --- I contacted Ruger and explained the situation. They confirmed there is no difference with the body of the 6 round vs 7 round magazine. The grip extension is what drops the spring down to provide room for the 7th round. In addition the floor plates are interchangeable and the flush floor plate should install onto the magazine after removing the extension. They determined there is a defect in the mag or a part is missing and they are sending me a replacement. I hope this helps anyone else that might have had this question or trouble.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update #2 -- I received the replacement magazine from Ruger and it still suffers the same dilemma and does not work as designed, so I will be contacting them again since I believe they have missed something here. According to them the magazine body is the same and interchangeable from 7 to 6 rounds by just changing the floor plates from the extended to the flush. However this is not the case. The reasons why are entirely to difficult and long winded to explain, but if anyone is seriously interested I may take the time to upload some pictures that might make it easier to describe and prove. I am certainly going to try to explain this to them. Either way I will likely just purchase a separate set of 6 round mags but I would like to make them aware so maybe they will fix the issue for future buyers or at least start shipping them with both magazines or adequate parts to do this properly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update #3 -- BLUF, the 6&7 round magazines are identical and interchangeable but, you need to replace the spring assembly as well as the floor plate. The springs are different lengths as well as having different lock plates. Ruger only supplied the flush floor plate with I my purchase, along with the 7 round magazine. So it was a NO-GO from the Get-Go. They made good on it though, and sent me some parts free of charge.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts