Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am seriously considering one of these in 22 magnum as a pocket pistol for woods hikes and general plinking. I read the trigger pull was heavier on the rimfire models than the centerfire models to ensure ignition and is about 12 lbs. Anyone out there have one or ever fired an LCR that can give a favorable report? Sounds like it could make a good back-up piece and will go well with my R/A compact rifle. Saw one for $460 the other day. Thanks for any replies.

·
Banned
650 Posts
Even with the Gold Dots and other pistol loads the 22 mag will only stop small animals. I would not want to defend my dog from a pack of coyotes with a 22 mag revolver. If you are not in big bear country capacity is important. Think about a G19, G23, E9 something that shoots a bunch of times and puts some energy on the target. A 22 mag rifle is good woods medicine, it has range and over 300 ft lb of energy. A 22 mag gold dot from a 2" barrel is like a 22 rifle. If you have big bears or moose/elk you need something that starts with at least 4 and ends with magnum. If you just have normal size pests you need something to stop a man because you may very well have to stop some freak out in the woods.

Moreover, if you look at the dimensions of a pocket revolver it is just as big as any of the pistols I listed. When I go in the woods and other places I do not have to conceal my gun I have a pocket holster for my G19. About an inch of the gun sticks out of my pocket. In winter clothes I can pocket carry the G19 completely concealed. Plus you can easily put night sights on most semi autos. Last you can get ammo a lot easier for a centerfire. I just bought a 1,000 rounds of 380acp ammo for $249 shipped to my door. It would cost close to $400 to have 1,000 22 mag gold dots delivered. 380 ammo is usually more expensive than 9mm or 40 cal. Right now www.TargetSportsUSA.com has free shipping on bulk ammo orders.

·
Registered
330 Posts
My wife takes a lcr 22mag around the place with her, walking dogs etc. easy for her to fire. We like the round, Henry rifle and other 22 mag revolvers we enjoy. I was bush hogging today and I have a smith 442 in my pocket. 38 is fine for me in snubbie not so much for her. I Don't want shot with either.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
You're correct about the stiffer trigger pull because of the stiffer hammer spring. The hammer has to crush the brass case with rimfire, not a thin skinned primer.

.22WMR for woods protection? From what? Rabid deer flys??

I think you're under gunned there, buy A LOT.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Mine is being replaced just waiting on the shipment to arrive, I didn't like the way the trigger was responding so I sent it back to Ruger, no questions asked they just called and said they were going to swap it out. The spring rate is somewhere between 14-18lbs, mine felt like 20lbs so it's pretty stiff. That being said, I like the 22WMR, don't sell that little round short it has some pop to it, I have no problem carrying it, not sure what you're going to shoot in the woods other than a snake, most animals are going to run first so... :) Get the Gun, just be aware the ammo is not cheap.

·
Ruger Connesewer ;)
444 Posts
Even with the Gold Dots and other pistol loads the 22 mag will only stop small animals. I would not want to defend my dog from a pack of coyotes with a 22 mag revolver. If you are not in big bear country capacity is important. Think about a G19, G23, E9 something that shoots a bunch of times and puts some energy on the target. A 22 mag rifle is good woods medicine, it has range and over 300 ft lb of energy. A 22 mag gold dot from a 2" barrel is like a 22 rifle. If you have big bears or moose/elk you need something that starts with at least 4 and ends with magnum. If you just have normal size pests you need something to stop a man because you may very well have to stop some freak out in the woods.

Moreover, if you look at the dimensions of a pocket revolver it is just as big as any of the pistols I listed. When I go in the woods and other places I do not have to conceal my gun I have a pocket holster for my G19. About an inch of the gun sticks out of my pocket. In winter clothes I can pocket carry the G19 completely concealed. Plus you can easily put night sights on most semi autos. Last you can get ammo a lot easier for a centerfire. I just bought a 1,000 rounds of 380acp ammo for $249 shipped to my door. It would cost close to $400 to have 1,000 22 mag gold dots delivered. 380 ammo is usually more expensive than 9mm or 40 cal. Right now www.TargetSportsUSA.com has free shipping on bulk ammo orders.
Mauser - I have to completely agree with Old Crow on this one - for whatever my opinion is worth! As much as I like my Ruger's - I keep one G19 by the Furzsack and one upstairs (please don't laugh at my $19 holster - it holds an extra mag!).

That said - I foolishly bought a used G42 - and it's sitting back in Smyrna now - so even Glock's can have problems ... :(

Attachments

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Just me, but I won't own a DA only 22 revolver. Single action for sure, not DA only. The triggers are not for me. I had a Taurus (I know, I know) that I could barely fire because the trigger was so heavy.

I now own a Single 10 and a K22 Masterpiece. I find myself firing in SA with the K22 most of the time.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for replies. The LCR was just a consideration. We often learn a lot concerning the quality and functioning of a certain firearm on the forum. Again appreciate the feedback.

·
Banned
650 Posts
Mauser - I have to completely agree with Old Crow on this one - for whatever my opinion is worth! As much as I like my Ruger's - I keep one G19 by the Furzsack and one upstairs (please don't laugh at my $19 holster - it holds an extra mag!).

That said - I foolishly bought a used G42 - and it's sitting back in Smyrna now - so even Glock's can have problems ... :(
I have a holster similar to yours, mine is a Blackhawk. I can use it IWB or OTW. For $20 it is a very versatile holster. I can adjust the rention strap to fit a P95 or a G19.

I carried a P95 for a long time. I started shooting IDPA matches. We used to have a good crowd, around 60 shooters per match. I wanted something beside the P95 so I started borrowing pistols at matches. I shot the best times with the Beretta 92fs but the 92fs is to big to conceal. The next fastest gun was the G19/G17. I shot about the same times with either Glock. I did not want a Glock. I tried sig, traded a G23 for a custom XD with a 5" barrel. I ended up buying a G19 gen 4. Now I have gotten used to the Glock I shoot it way faster than the Beretta. I am usually about a second behind the match winner with the G19. We have several grand masters and a national champion so I am shooting way faster than average.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Thanks for replies. The LCR was just a consideration. We often learn a lot concerning the quality and functioning of a certain firearm on the forum. Again appreciate the feedback.
On another note, how's that RAR compact? I got a 22LR on layaway at Bud's. Anxious to pair that up with my Single 10.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Got one for my wife a few weeks ago she likes it. Yes the trigger takes practice but if she likes it that is what counts. She wanted the gun for ccw it is much better than throwing rocks, and I don't care what others think of a 22 mag.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On another note, how's that RAR compact? I got a 22LR on layaway at Bud's. Anxious to pair that up with my Single 10.
Glad to give positive feedback on my Compact 22 mag. hunter 49. I could not be happier with the accuracy of mine. Plus the rifle does not seem chintzy and I much prefer the satin higher gloss bluing on the rimfires. Think the hi-viz sight is a nice touch but slapped a scope on mine as my eyes have seen better days. Makes a very nice light rifle to carry. Got a Marlin 925 but the Ruger gets more rounds put through it these days. Think you will like it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The LCR in 22 Magnum is a great little revolver. The tiger though heavier than a centerfire LCR is still smooth and precise. There are so many good handgun loads in 22 WMR such as Gold Dots, PDX1s and Critical Defense, that this chambering is a lot more versatile now. I highly recommend this revolver.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The LCR in 22 Magnum is a great little revolver. The tiger though heavier than a centerfire LCR is still smooth and precise. There are so many good handgun loads in 22 WMR such as Gold Dots, PDX1s and Critical Defense, that this chambering is a lot more versatile now. I highly recommend this revolver.
Glad you like it. Got my butt kicked by some for this thread but hey whatever floats your boat.

·
Banned
650 Posts
It is a great little revolver for someone that is recoil sensitive or has a physical handicap that prevents them from using a larger caliber. But the OP asked about the gun for hiking in the woods. He did not complain of any handicaps that prevent him from shooting a larger caliber.

If I found a 22mag LCR at an estate sale for $100 I would buy it and shoot it. But I wouldn't take it in the woods to defend myself. Nor would I pay $369 for a new 22mag LCR. He could buy a 9E for $300 and have a much nicer gun for woods defense.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
General plinking...probably not, the WMR ammo is about the same price as 9mm. I think one of the Convertibles would be a good combo, 22LR for just shoot'n cans and the 22WMR for a little more punch. The longer barrel would increase the rounds effectiveness, just need a holster but those are easy to come by...

Ruger® New Model Single-Six® Convertible Single-Action Revolver Models

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
It's great you ask about a gun and everyone tells you what they think about everything else. At least you didn't get the welcome aboard great place.

·
Dog Soldier
1,782 Posts
I'm a fan of the .22. Magnum. I've killed hogs and coyotes with the cartridge Everybody to there own!!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I like my LCR 22 Mag. I have critical defense rounds in it. It is a fun little gun to shoot. It makes a nice back up gun.

·
Registered
783 Posts
All this talk of the LCR .22 mag, and I broke down and bought one. Dang internet impulse buying! Davidsons gallery of guns and cooling off period should get it to me in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to trying out this round.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts