Ruger Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
@sitka - for the M77 MkII’s and Hawkeyes, SOME mag boxes will be free floating with just a bit of relief work in the two notches at front and back, where the box “sandwiches” between the action and the trigger guard, and action and the floorplate base. SOME magboxes will need the edge relieved all the way around to eliminate contact against the floorplate when closed. Just look for the contact points, and relieve where it needs it. You’ll be able to tell very easily. It’s also a non-critical fit area. Sure, you can take off too much, but it’s pretty hard to do so, and you have to take off a LOT too much to cause any issue.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thank you, I have already been looking at it and think I know how to do it, but I want to shoot the rifle first before altering annything.
Hope that I get the rifle basix trigger monday or thuesday next week and that I can try her the next weekend.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The rifle is at my woorkplace but as I remeber it was the two notches that I have to take some material away from.
I have already tried the rifle without the mag box, and then the floorplate jingle a bit, or maybee I should say it rattle.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I ordered two replacement spring from eBay, which I have tried. Not god, the trigger itself is the problem. I tried to cut the replacement spring, but it still to heavy.
Then I tried whitout any spring but wasent much lighter then either.
The original trigger has to bee worked at a gunsmith or someone who know how to deal with it, it doesent have any creep, and thats fine but I think its to heavy.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
But you still haven’t shot it yet?........

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
No I havent. I am a commuter and havent been at home for a while but planing the next weekend if its not only raining.
Back at the farm home I have a Sturdy bench and a 100 meter shooting range.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The LC6 remains to have a positive sear angle, as have all of the M77’s triggers, which is why the trigger still feels heavy even when fired with the trigger spring removed. Pulling the trigger is fighting the striker spring, so there IS a limit to how light a trigger spring swap can actually make the trigger feel.

It CAN be modified to have a neutral sear angle, but it’s not really a kitchen table gunsmith type job.

Aftermarket triggers are out there, however, and all of them are a significant improvement over the factory LC6 trigger.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I will respond when I have install the rifle basix trigger, and after shooting her.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Just for fun I shimmed the rifle today to see if I could free float her.
Toke an old creditt card and placed one part of it under the tang and two just behind the recoil lug.
It went just fine and now the magasin box rattle, the feeding of cartrides was also as before, but still I havent shoot her.
I have heard that if a rifle with presure point is free floated is also has to be beded, unless it will spread all over the target, so I dont know if this will work in practise.
Time will show.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Now I have tried to shoot her. Fabric ammo 130 gr norma golden target, very usual in Norway.
I am not absolutely sure yet how she perform, shoot 40 rounds over 2 hours to not heat upp the barell.
I have tried with the action shimmed, as it left the fabric and so far the most sucsesfull, without the magasin well.

My last attempt was best, this was whitout the magasin well, the front screw gorilla thigth, the rearmost pretty tight and the one in the middle just a little bit more than finger tightened.

Shoot 3, 3 shoot group with measured 30-21-20 mm at 100 meter.

Maybee I should file of the magasinet a bit and replace it, this is a NON reversible opperation so I have to be sure before I do it.

Will shoot more tomorow, the last 10 golden target and maybee some handloads.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Now I have install the rifle basix trigger, it breaks at 1150 gram or so, crisp.
There is not possible to go any lower or the rifle can slam fire if taken a forceful cock.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Now I have install the rifle basix trigger, it breaks at 1150 gram or so, crisp.
There is not possible to go any lower or the rifle can slam fire if taken a forceful cock.
So that’s about 2.5 pounds?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Yes, maybee not that light but a huge improvement for me.
The trigger is also wider than I am used to and placed more to the rear.
On my other rifle the trigger is in the middle of the trigger guard so this is placed better on my finger.
Its feel for me lighter than 2,5 lbs, but I have to admit that a 2 lbs would bee even better, but I am afraid of slam fire.
Anyway when cocking and unloading the rifle I always place the safety in the midle position.
You cant pull the trigger, but can opperate the bolt.

I have also filed of the bottom of the magazine, so it rattle a bit and have done the outside of the rifle with 3 coats of car wax.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
All of my V/T’s are at 2.5 pounds and it’s not an issue. Personally I would recommend anyone going under 2.5 it it’s a hunting ring.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Sold the gun, I will continue with my CZ 550 American also in 6,5x55, there is something with brno/cz.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts