Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished her up. CDI bottom metal. 5rd Magpul AICS Mag. EGW Ruger no 1 Picatinny barrel rib. Bushnell Trophy 2-6x Pistol Scope. A2 Flash Hider. Weighs in at 7lbs.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Big Badass Cartridge

I hope you are a big guy, with Grizzly bears to shoot. With a brief search I found this:

"Though the cartridge has great merit, it has never attained tremendous popularity. This is due in no small part to the rather vicious recoil produced when firing the cartridge...

The .350 Remington Magnum is a fairly powerful cartridge, but the magazine length of the rifles it is usually chambered in does limit its ability to use longer, heavier bullets with higher ballistic coefficients. Still, with certain bullets and handloading, it is a capable 500+ yard big game cartridge. Its premier use, though, is more as a "brush gun", basically defined as a short, handy rifle that is more easily maneuvered in environments where shots are likely to be closer, and opportunities appear and disappear quickly. At reasonable ranges, the .350 Remington Magnum is capable of taking any game on the North American continent effectively and humanely. It would also be suitable for many African species, though some African nations have a .375" (9.53mm) or .400" (10.2mm) minimum caliber requirement for dangerous game.
"

·
Registered
257 Posts
Did you cut the barrel back like you had said you wanted to do in your previous post?

I am not a fan of the scout scopes but it does look like nice set up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hope you are a big guy, with Grizzly bears to shoot. With a brief search I found this:

"Though the cartridge has great merit, it has never attained tremendous popularity. This is due in no small part to the rather vicious recoil produced when firing the cartridge...

The .350 Remington Magnum is a fairly powerful cartridge, but the magazine length of the rifles it is usually chambered in does limit its ability to use longer, heavier bullets with higher ballistic coefficients. Still, with certain bullets and handloading, it is a capable 500+ yard big game cartridge. Its premier use, though, is more as a "brush gun", basically defined as a short, handy rifle that is more easily maneuvered in environments where shots are likely to be closer, and opportunities appear and disappear quickly. At reasonable ranges, the .350 Remington Magnum is capable of taking any game on the North American continent effectively and humanely. It would also be suitable for many African species, though some African nations have a .375" (9.53mm) or .400" (10.2mm) minimum caliber requirement for dangerous game.
"
I'm 6'5" 230lbs. The rifle isn't hard to shoot, but a box of shells through her and you'll be feeling it the next day. I shot a 200lb black bear with it this fall at 20 yards. With 200 grain spitzers I'm pushing 3000fps, but I prefer my 280 grain lead round nose for plinkin.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you cut the barrel back like you had said you wanted to do in your previous post?

I am not a fan of the scout scopes but it does look like nice set up.
I left it it 22", just threaded the muzzle for the flash hider. There were no benefits to cutting her down, yeah I'd lose a pound probably but I'd also lose 500 fps. So with a high power scope she can be a 400+ yard gun, but in this setup she is built for the 100 yards or less hunting situations I usually find myself in.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I'm 6'5" 230lbs. The rifle isn't hard to shoot, but a box of shells through her and you'll be feeling it the next day. I shot a 200lb black bear with it this fall at 20 yards. With 200 grain spitzers I'm pushing 3000fps, but I prefer my 280 grain lead round nose for plinkin.
So you are a big guy like both of my sons and one of my brothers. I got cheated in that. I am 5' 10" and 165 lbs. As a result, I mostly shoot varmint rifles. 30-06 is about my limit, if I am going to shoot more than a few rounds in a day.

I used to have a Weaver 4X28 Scout Scope on a 357 lever gun. I think it is a great scope for quick target acquisition. I was less impressed with the Rossi lever gun and sold the whole rig to a friend.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So you are a big guy like both of my sons and one of my brothers. I got cheated in that. I am 5' 10" and 165 lbs. As a result, I mostly shoot varmint rifles. 30-06 is about my limit, if I am going to shoot more than a few rounds in a day.

I used to have a Weaver 4X28 Scout Scope on a 357 lever gun. I think it is a great scope for quick target acquisition. I was less impressed with the Rossi lever gun and sold the whole rig to a friend.

that one is a beaut! I have a marlin 1894 in 357, never put a scout scope on it but have played around with some scope and peep setups and always end up reverting back to the factory sights.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Where is the balance point on that rifle with the front scope installed? I always thought the extended magazine on a rifle is a hindrance for carry. I carry my rifles at my side often through the woods while hunting, and the rifle balances on the bottom metal of the magazine. Perhaps it balances just forward of the box magazine with that setup.

Neat looking rifle!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Where is the balance point on that rifle with the front scope installed? I always thought the extended magazine on a rifle is a hindrance for carry. I carry my rifles at my side often through the woods while hunting, and the rifle balances on the bottom metal of the magazine. Perhaps it balances just forward of the box magazine with that setup.

Neat looking rifle!
Balance is just forward of magazine, it does limit the elbow carry but wasnt much of an issue for me. I have a frame pack I haul all my meat out on so i use a sling and hook it over the frame, carry the rifle weight with my hips instead of shoulder. I'm hiking upwards of 15+ miles in a day to get away from road hunters so its definitely the most comfortable way to go.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts