Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was really considering getting a new Ruger M77 Hawkeye Compact in .223, but after finally finding one in a gun store and shouldering it, the stock was so short it felt like a youth model to me and I am not a big guy. Have any owners of compacts found that the stock is too short for them also?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I don't own one but yes they are short. Even though it's a light caliber, you might be able to find a recoil pad to extend it about an inch.

The barrels are also finely tapered so they are subject to drifting point of aim due to heat or at least my buddy's was. Might have been the stock improperly touching the barrel but seemed like it was heat. Beautiful rifle.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I have one of the Model 77 MkII compacts in .260 Remington, and I don't have any problem with the stock. I'm 6'4'' with long arms, and it fits me nicely. And it's one of the most accurate rifles I own, generally it will put 3 shots touching each other a 100 yards. The very light barrel may start to walk them a bit if you fired long strings of shots, but how often do you even fire 3 shots when hunting? Now if I could just lighten up the trigger a little..... I'd but one again, that's for sure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have 1 and I use a limbsaver slip on pad. It works fine. I have shot it without as well and honestly I think it is a personal choice. If you consider shouldering the gun with your hunting clothes on it may not be as short as you think.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I thought the Compact was a good idea but didn't quite fit what I wanted. In addition to the short stock I'm not a fan of the short barrel. My choice was the Ruger Compact Magnum in .308 (20" bbl) which is in between the Compact and the regular Hawkeye (both bbl and stock.) It works for me. If .308 is not a suitable caliber for you then the compact would work better (or you could just shorten the barrel of a regular Hawkeye to whatever you want.) Years ago a couple of my favorite black timber Elk guns were regular Mark IIs with barrels cut to 20". Another plus for the RCM is the slightly better wood and Satin Blue metal

It is better in the woods to have a slightly short stock than a long one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
223 Compact Laminate

I guess it depends how big you are. I have a Compact Laminate in 223 and a Predator in 223. Both work for me but I am only 5'8". I like the compact slightly better than the predator. You need to throw the gun up to your shoulder a few times and see how it feels. If after several tries you don't like then move on or get a thick butt pad. The compact is a special purpose rifle for use in brush or as a truck gun that is easy to handle in tight places. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Think about it...if you're hunting deer - you'll likely be wearing a heavy coat.
But with a heavy coat, then you want a somewhat shortened length of pull.
On my 77RL tang safety .270, just removing the recoil pad proved to be perfect...so I installed a Neidner butt plate on it...but in the end...it all depends on how you plan to use the rifle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts