Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my first Hawkeye recently and they've changed the action screw types (for the better) from flat head to an allen/torx type slot. Does anyone know which of the Brownells Magna-Tip bits I need?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry, this is posted to the wrong forum. It should probably be in either Maintenance or Ruger Bolt-action...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. Do all three action screws use the 5/32" Allen bit? On my Mark II there were two different blade bits required.

Thanks.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
I had a Hawkeye predator that had torx on one set of rings and Phillips on the other. Bought NIB too. Go figure.
Got that right... Like I said, I never say never... For the action screws on Mark II's, it was more common to have an allen cap bolt under the floorplate on the stainless models, more common to see a slotted head bolt under the floorplate on the blued, phillips caps happened for the trigger guard screws, but less often than anything else - it never made sense which would be which...

The allen tip is a 5/32", all 3 the same size. I haven't seen a Hawkeye yet that didn't have 3 allen tips for the 2 action screws and the trigger guard screw, but like I said, I never say never with Ruger...

I wouldn't be in love with phillips head ring screws, but I suppose in all fairness, that's about the only appropriate application for one.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Azar BTW welcome to the Ruger Forum looks like you have your question answered. What part of Utah are you from???

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After asking the question I figured I was being a bit stupid about it since I have both Metric and Imperial hex key sets and could try and see what fits first hand.

There are indeed two different sizes on my Hawkeye. Front action screw is 3/16" and rear action screw / trigger guard screws are 5/32".

I've ordered the bits from Brownells.

Thanks for the feedback, it is much appreciated.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
gqucool,

Northern Utah. You?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was a bit surprised taking the action apart. Ruger had the middle screw turned down tight! It took ~32in/lbs to get it moving. It was the tightest of the three. The front action screw took 30 in/lbs to get it out. The rear action screw took <10 in/lbs to get it out.

After removing the barreled action from the stock I cleaned off the old grease/oil from the factory. It was very gummy & tacky. It was almost like old Breakfree CLP that had gummed up. Didn't seem quite like a preservative grease or anything. I wasn't sure what to make of it.

I re-assembled it with 65 in/bls front, 15 in/lbs rear, and <10 in/lbs middle. So far she is shooting quite well.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts