Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys

I just got the ok from the wife to order a new rifle!

I am going to get either a Ruger M77 Predator 6.5 Creedmoor or a Savage Model 12 VLP DBM 243 Winchester.

I know the Savage will be a tack driver and have an awesome trigger, but the more I shoot my hunting buddy's Ruger M77 MKII 7 Rem Mag the more I like it. That 7 mag will consistently shoot 3/4" 5 shot groups at 100 yards with Hornady SST and it is bone stock.

Anyway, back to the point - do any of you have a Ruger M77 Predator? How is the trigger? How is the accuracy?

And last but not least, would you buy the Predator or the Model 12?

Thanks!
3screw41mag

·
Registered
92 Posts
I was in a similar position a couple weeks ago.

I read some things about Savage bolts having the ejector pin jammed back into the bolt face. One person claimed it was due to Hornady's Superformance Ammo being over pressure, but a brief Google search turned up quite a few more instances of the same problem, and I couldn't find anyone else attributing it to ammo.

That was enough for me. I couldn't find much of ANY info on the Ruger, but documented problems with the Savages along with my own personal stigma against them, I settled on the Ruger.

My .308 has the same trigger as the Predator (on paper), and I can tell you that on my gun, it's awesome. Brief pull up and a light, clean break.

... and I guess that's all the more I can really contribute here, lol, being different guns and calibers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm also looking at the 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm either going to get it in the Preditor or the M77 Target. I'm not even looking at any other make. Not many reports on the Preditor so no news is good news. We had one at our gun shop and we all really like the gun. I was going to get the 223 but it sold before I could get to it.

·
Banned
558 Posts
If most of your shooting is from a bench, the target model with the heavy, beavertail stock is great. If you are hunting, and have to actually carry it, the ergo's of the sporter style stock fits the bill more betterer...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It will be shot from the bench a good bit, but it will also be my long range coyote calling rifle so it will get toted across hay pastures a lot!

I think I am going to go with the Ruger Predator in 6.5 Creedmore. Now just getting my guy to get one ordered and delivered - that may take a while. Gonna slap a Nikon Monarch 4-16x50mm on it with the BDC reticle.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
I know from experience you will like the Ruger more than you will the Savage, there is a stark difference in quality and feel. I've never owned either particular model specified, but I have experience with owning Savage bolt guns and Ruger bolt guns. No comparison quality and feel wise. It would be hard to find a better combo than a Ruger M77 Predator and a Nikon Monarch, good choice. Good luck, nice rifle, and good hunting.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I bought a Savage 'Predator Hunter' earlier this year in 6.5 Creedmoor, and my brother and I now have matching Ruger 'Predators' in 204 Ruger. I love the Creedmoor cartridge, but bought the Savage because Ruger just didn't make quite the configuration I wanted in the Creed.

Anyway, to the point-- My Savage and Ruger are intended for the exact same purpose, and are extremely similar. They're both somewhat heavier bbls, better-than-base-model stocks, and slightly longer-than-base-model bbls at 24".

The Savage has their Accu-stock and Accu-trigger. This accutrigger is a good one. I have one that is crap, another that is good, and have fingered many that range from great to garbage. I got lucky this time. The Ruger trigger is the 2-stage unit from the Target Model. It's a great trigger and is fully adjustable. If you don't like 2-stage triggers, you'll hate it.

The accustock is okay, but I had to file down some of the aluminum where it was pushing on only 1 side of the bbl nut. The rest of the stock (the plastic) feels junky and the camo paint isn't that durable. It's far too light in the butt, so the rifle is distinctly nose-heavy. The Ruger's laminate is very nice, and the rifle balances well. There's more weight forward than in a Hawkeye, which is very good for me, but it's not dramatically nose-heavy like the Savage. For pure bench or prone work the Sav is no prob, but for also carrying in the field or shooting off-hand, the Ruger is much better.

The Savage shoots great ...for a little while. Then fouling was unholy bad and it takes (took) literally hours with the strongest cleaners on the market, followed by hours on the Foul-Out to get it clean. Couldn't make it through a match before things came apart. In the end I lapped it and coated it with several coats of UltraBore Coat. Now I can shoot a whole match-worth of ammo (~50 rds), but it throws flyers somewhat randomly. Still very good for a hunting gun, but not a bench gun by any stretch of the imagination.

The Ruger shoots great. And it's clean and smooth inside! No shoot-an-hour, clean-a-week routine for this rifle! Factory ammo wants to have 5 shots touch, though not all make it. I just started working loads yesterday, but we've been through 80 or 100 rounds now. Both guns shoot equally well.

Given the significant difference in recoil between a 204 and a Creedmoor, I'm not sure whether direct group-size measurements are appropriate since we just shoot off a table or a pickup or a coat (or a bipod), but the Rugers certainly shoot as well as the Savage. Meaning, they shoot better, but perhaps the 204s stay on target better through the recoil than the Creed, so thus they would be basically equal from a machine rest? I'm not sure since I don't have and don't intend to get a machine rest. :)

Buy the rifle you like and that fits you well. The two feel VERY different, and the VLP will be MUCH more nose-heavy than my 'predator hunter' is. I think my Savage is a better rifle than most of my older Savages, ,but it still has a feeling of cheapness that has been present in every Savage bolt gun I've owned or handled over the course of 20+ years. This Ruger feels better than most I've owned or handled in the same time period, too' and it doesn't feel cheap.

I'm very pleased with my Ruger(s), and would buy another. In fact, there's a very small chance you could buy my Savage Creedmoor from me. Of course, I'd need most of the cost of a Ruger Creedmoor in return. ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
6.5 Creedmoor - Savage vs. Ruger

I'm a newbie to this forum, but my motivation to reply was my horrible experience with the S/S Savage Weather Warrior in 6.5 Creedmoor which I purchased a few months ago. I finally got a refund from the selling dealer, who then sent the rifle back to Savage. Initial results with my carefully crafted handloads were promising, crowding a half-inch for 3-shot groups with Sierra bullets. The bizarre events began when I attempted to shoot Hornady V-Max loads in the rifle. (Used their Manual specs.) The first 10 rounds or so were fine. But the 11th or 12th rounds WOULD NOT CHAMBER, period! I experienced similar results with Nosler ballistic tip handloads, again using Nosler Manual specs. The dealer returned the rifle to Savage, with an explanation of the problem. A month later, I received the rifle with a note stating that the headspace had been checked and the rifle test fired! A quick trip to the range yielded identical unsatisfactory results as before. The rifle was returned to Savage with a detailed letter describing the problem. Five weeks later the rifle was returned, after being rebarreled at the factory. Sadly, the results were the same as before. I received a refund and will buy a Ruger Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor in the very near future. This is just one shooter's experience, but I believe I've bought my last Savage rifle.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I'm a newbie to this forum, but my motivation to reply was my horrible experience with the S/S Savage Weather Warrior in 6.5 Creedmoor which I purchased a few months ago. I finally got a refund from the selling dealer, who then sent the rifle back to Savage. Initial results with my carefully crafted handloads were promising, crowding a half-inch for 3-shot groups with Sierra bullets. The bizarre events began when I attempted to shoot Hornady V-Max loads in the rifle. (Used their Manual specs.) The first 10 rounds or so were fine. But the 11th or 12th rounds WOULD NOT CHAMBER, period! I experienced similar results with Nosler ballistic tip handloads, again using Nosler Manual specs. The dealer returned the rifle to Savage, with an explanation of the problem. A month later, I received the rifle with a note stating that the headspace had been checked and the rifle test fired! A quick trip to the range yielded identical unsatisfactory results as before. The rifle was returned to Savage with a detailed letter describing the problem. Five weeks later the rifle was returned, after being rebarreled at the factory. Sadly, the results were the same as before. I received a refund and will buy a Ruger Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor in the very near future. This is just one shooter's experience, but I believe I've bought my last Savage rifle.
I would like to see a few of those rounds that the bolt wouldn't shut on.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a Ruger VT in 6.5 creed and so far I was able to shoot a 3 shot group of .25 at 100 yrds and a .55 at 200yrds with Hornady 120 A-max. Not a Savage fan. Mine cleans up real easy also.

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
I really like Ruger M77 MKII's and the new Hawkeye and 6.5 mm cartridges.

If and when either Winchester or Remington starts making 6.5 mm Creedmore brass I will replace my 16 year old 6.5-.308 barrel with the new barrel chambered for the 6.5 Creedmore.

This is a matter of brass availability, not that Hornady does not make good 6.5mm Creedmore brass. Presently, I neck down then turn necks of ordinary .308 brass to make ammo.

The new 6.5 Creedmore appears to be a perfected cartridge having many good features. Using 95 VMax or 100 Amax bullets it should be ballistic twin of the .243 Win loaded with 87 VMax's but with the advantage of being able to shoot 120 - 123 gr. bullets.

As far as the Predator rifle I wish Ruger made it in a .243 or 1-8 or 1-9 twist .22-.250.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I really like Ruger M77 MKII's and the new Hawkeye and 6.5 mm cartridges.

If and when either Winchester or Remington starts making 6.5 mm Creedmore brass I will replace my 16 year old 6.5-.308 barrel with the new barrel chambered for the 6.5 Creedmore.

This is a matter of brass availability, not that Hornady does not make good 6.5mm Creedmore brass. Presently, I neck down then turn necks of ordinary .308 brass to make ammo.

The new 6.5 Creedmore appears to be a perfected cartridge having many good features. Using 95 VMax or 100 Amax bullets it should be ballistic twin of the .243 Win loaded with 87 VMax's but with the advantage of being able to shoot 120 - 123 gr. bullets.

As far as the Predator rifle I wish Ruger made it in a .243 or 1-8 or 1-9 twist .22-.250.
Lapua makes 260 Remington brass.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I find myself in the same boat...trying to choose between the Ruger Predator and the Savage 12. I've bought a half dozen Savage rifles in the last year or so and can say with full authority they were ALL unbelievably accurate. I can also say with full authority about half of them functioned poorly with extraction problems, ejection problems, feeding problems or some combination thereof. I've come to think of Savage rifles as "kit" rifles, needing some tinkering before they can be used confidently. I can also say that the 2 Ruger rifles I currently own are less accurate than any of the Savages. For example my Ruger M77 Tactical Carbine in .223 is lucky to break sub MOA while my Savage Model 11VT will put 5 shots into .330 all day long. As noted if you want a rifle that functions then controlled round feed and a blade ejector are practically foolproof. On a side note every Ruger American I've shot or been around has been superbly accurate possibly because of the traits it shares with the Savage rifles. It's unfortunate that we have to make a choice between rifles that work and rifles that are accurate. I think I'm going to go with the Ruger since a rifle that won't feed or eject is worthless to me no matter how accurate and the Ruger, while less accurate is still accurate enough for my needs. Now to throw a monkey wrench into the whole shebang...what if Ruger offered the new American with a heavy varmint/target style barrel and in stainless to boot? Cheap, accurate and functional...ahhh, the best of both worlds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.