Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an older model Ruger M77 chambered in .30-06 with a tang safety and I'm looking for something similar to a Leupold one peice mount. Problem is? I know nothing about what I'm looking for. Can anyone point me in the right direction. Many thanks - Peyton

·
Banned
3,167 Posts

Jack Weigand makes a 1pc pic rail for the Ruger M77 action (and most other Ruger actions). Picture above. EGW also makes a pic rail for the Ruger M77 action, but it requires D&T'ing of the receiver for mounting.

There is no current Leupold dovetail style mount for the Ruger platform. Leupold does make rings that link directly to the Ruger integral ring bases.

However, something to consider - the Ruger integral base and corresponding rings is one of the more rigid and more durable optics mounting platforms on the market. The more links you incorporate into a mounting system between the receiver and the optic, the more opportunity you have for shifting under recoil, loosening of screws, etc.

So why aren't you happy with Ruger's integral bases? Why go looking for something else?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Ruger's system is indeed strong and secure. Nevertheless, I have a set of Burris' Ruger-to-Weaver adapters, which I got because I wanted to be able to use Burris' excellent Signature series rings, with the offset inserts. I also wanted availability of lower rings than Ruger offers (in 30mm specifically). However, the adapter system adds enough height that I can't get low enough rings to get me any lower than Ruger's lowest 30mm option, which is too high already for anything smaller than 50mm objective scopes.

Once Conetrol gets back up and running (the owner died this fall, and the family says they're regrouping and going to re-open the business), they'll also have Ruger options. Conetrol mounts are outstanding, and will allow lower mounting heights than Ruger does, at least for 30mm, but they're beautiful rather than tacticool, if that's what a person is looking for.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What I meant to say was my 77 doesn't have that built in mount into the receiver. I have an older model that has the flat top requiring a mount such as a 1913 rail or screw on Leupold mounts

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Knowing the older Rugers had both the scallop's built in for Ruger Rings and the tradition drilled and tapped receiver's I would think that you would be able to get a Leopold style of 1 piece mount wether its a Leopold brand Redfield etc there should be something out there to fit your Ruger. If I remember correctly my first Ruger M-77 had the open sights plus a drilled and tapped receiver. If you could live with a 2 piece set up I would guess that Weaver would have something. Good Luck to you!!!

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Gotcha, so you have one of these!!!!

In that case, any Remington 700 Long Action bases will fit. You'll be able to use Leupold mounts afterall...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for answering my question fellas, new to this forum and from my first post? All I can say is super helpful and kind! Hard to find in the gun community sometimes... Thanks again guys

·
Registered
805 Posts
I have an old Flat Top and mine has had Weaver bases on it since 1973. Whether they are still available I do not know. I remember trying a base for a Remington 700 before the Weavers and it did not fit. Why I do not recall it has been a lot of years.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that you tried a 700 Short action base. I've owned two round tops, I wish I hadn't gotten rid of them, used 700 long action bases on both of them.

The Weaver 2 piece bases are still available also.

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
That Remington look alike receiver has saved you from some arrangement that never would be satisfactory.

For those who are not as fortunate.

Possibly, Burris still makes a Ruger to Weaver 2 piece adaptor.

This 2 piece mount adaptor clamps onto the Ruger receiver with a higher rear base to provide a level rear to front mounting surface.

I would not attempt to use it without Burris Signature Zee rings because of alignment issues that the Signature rings with inserts would deal with. The adaptor clamps onto the Ruger receiver with 4 T15 headed screws allowing about 50 inch pounds of torque.

After all is done the mount job will be excessively high for the standard Ruger stock despite using medium height Signature Zee rings - high mounted scopes are clumsy, awkward, and ugly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts