Ruger Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have a ruger m77mk2 stainless in 7mm and I’m having trouble getting it to group well after upgrading the trigger and tightening the action screws. I used the timney trigger kit, and tightened the action screws to proper spec. It was great shooting before but now I’m having issues. Was also wondering what MOA generally you guys are getting.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
8,396 Posts
I’m gonna assume you’re rolling your own. If that’s the case it sounds like it time to anneal your brass. The brass will develop different levels of hardness which will introduce different levels of neck tension. Inconsistent levels of neck tension will effect accuracy.

We’re also going to assume your optics are secure and tracking correctly.

As far as the torquing of the screws, the only critical one is the one set at 95ip. The forward trigger guard screw should only be set tight enough to hold it there. The rear screw should be torque-tuned. Torque-tuning will involve you shooting the rifle, but it’s simple and effective. Start by backing out the rear screw and taking a shot. You don’t like the results? Screw it in a little more and take another shot………do this until you are satisfied. How do you when to stop? You’ll know because the groups will open back up. I’ve done this with every M77 I own and it’s improved the accuracy regardless of caliber.

I have a Zytel/stainless chambered in 7 Mag, I get between .5 and 1 MOA at 100yds. A lot of that has to do with the Dingus (me) on the back end of the rifle.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts