Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last summer a contributor posted on another forum that a large wholesaler had a small stock of "Ruger M77MKII" rifles in this caliber as "new, old stock" that they were trying to clearance. They sold them for $439 plus shipping. My dealer ordered five, and all the wholesaler had were gone within a week. My dealer picked out one stocked in circassion (sp) walnut and held it for me. He sold all the rest quickly for a tidy profit. I have to say this has the makings to be the perfect rifle. First of all, it's not a MKII, it is actually a Hawkeye, in gloss blue with the new LC6 trigger, and the fancy engraving on th floorplate. I couldn't be more tickled with my new toy, how it handles, and bet of all...she shoots! I took out some old reloads and some factory ammo, and so long as I don't heat the barrel up, she shoots beautifully!
I might have a competitor for my favorite deer rifle.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Congratulations. That's a great buy on a rifle in a great chambering.
The 6.5X55 is a fantastic cartridge, lots of good bullets, great ballistic co-eficient, enough power for medium game, & won't seperate your shoulder when you shoot it. I think you will like that one.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have had a couple of 6.5 Swedes. A Mauser and a CZ 550...like an idiot both have passed through my hands. Ths one will not do likewise. Losing that CZ was a HUGE mistake, and my intention was to replace it with another. However the price of CZ's has gotten so high that I couldn't bring myself to drop close to $800 for one. Then this Ruger popped up and my total cost was about 65% of that, so I had to take it.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Sounds like a pretty fun little gun. Heck, at that price I would have had to buy one too, LOL. A fine deer rifle with a good 120 grain bullet, and is still enough for Moose, Elf, and Black bear with the 140. Good luck with the gun and good luck out deer hunting with it, cause I know you will be.... Rifles like that grow on you over time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a MKII 6.5x55 many years ago, The big word is had would love to get another but they do not come up that often.

OP, Trucksurfer the one I had would shoot the pmc's 144 FMJ target's into very tiny groups It seemed to like the 140ish rounds the best Hornady light magnums also worked great The one round that was iffy was the trophy bonded bear claws (fed premium) all else was good to go!!!

carl

·
Registered
2 Posts
Last summer I bought a Hawkeye All-weather in 6.5x55. I couldn't find anything about them, so I emailed Ruger, who said that they were a "Distributor special." I wondered it maybe it was a Lipsey's exclusive.

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
As anothe rpost said the 6.5x55 is used in Scandanavia on moose etc. The bullet has tremendous sectional density so penetration is excellent.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This story gets better. I went to a gun auction recently to peruse the items for sale. I was out of my league in terms of spending stupidity, so I left the guns alone. I did see lots of ammo and accessories so I checked those out. I saw an aftermarket stock for a long action Ruger so checked it out. There was another guy there who was looking at it as well and expressed interest in it. He asked if it were a Ramline, etc. I told him I wouldn't be looking at it of I thought as much. It had be be a Bell amd Carlson or HS Precision. Turns out is was the latter. This guy said he wanted something to help with recoil in his. 30-06, I told him that if it were a standard sporter, that stock would do so. I wasn't sure if I would nod or not so I just ruminated. When it came up on the block the auctioneer had no idea what he had and started the bidding at $25. The other guy jumped in, and I figured that if they were willing to sell it cheap, I would buy it. I walked away with it having spent $53.25 after tax. Not bad for what would run over $300 today from HS.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Congratulations once again!

I wish I had called the dist. for one of those Swedes. Maybe next time.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I just found a 6.5 X 55 Swede military rifle 1913 that is still excellent shape. The bore is perfect as is the military stock. Have not shot it and don't know if I want to. Beautiful rifle

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
Just about the most practical round in the most common sense rifle. The 6.5X55 should be more popular but possibly the fact that that round's head size is about .006 bigger than the 06 round head size might be a factor. '06' or .257brass can't be reformed to 6.5X55 making satisfactory ammo and there might be manufacturing issues also.

In any event the design of the 6.5X55 was well ahead of the times as its designers had no thoughts of handloaders reforming brass or ammo companies making special runs of brass having larger head sizes.

A good supply of brass should come with the new rifle. Not knowing much about store bought 6.5X55 ammo I would expect that it is loaded to pressure levels suitable for 100 YO M96 types.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Just about the most practical round in the most common sense rifle. The 6.5X55 should be more popular but possibly the fact that that round's head size is about .006 bigger than the 06 round head size might be a factor. '06' or .257brass can't be reformed to 6.5X55 making satisfactory ammo and there might be manufacturing issues also.

In any event the design of the 6.5X55 was well ahead of the times as its designers had no thoughts of handloaders reforming brass or ammo companies making special runs of brass having larger head sizes.

A good supply of brass should come with the new rifle. Not knowing much about store bought 6.5X55 ammo I would expect that it is loaded to pressure levels suitable for 100 YO M96 types.
Most americans have no intertest in the 6.5 or 8MM diameter. In all reality, the 6.5's a nice diameter, but it's on life support in the states at all times. I like the 6.5 Swede, but I still use the .270 because of the advantages in availability, a bump in killing power, and aura surrounding the cartridge. I'm an example of what harms the 6.5's in America.

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
Gotta admit the .264 is sort of esoteric but I am one of those folks that keeps the bullet companies actively making .264 target bullets (100 AMax, 120 AMax, 123 AMax, 140 AMax, 140 H hpbt, 107 Match King, 120 Match King, 123 Match King, 140 Match King, 142 Match King, 5 or 6 Berger Match bullets, 123 Nosler Custom, 140 Nosler Custom, 140 Barnes Match Burner). All of these companies have active profit motives.

Try a 6.5 vs a .30 at for extended shooting at extended ranges, like a 140 6.5 vs 200 gr .308 and feel the relief from not being beat up. Also those long for weight 6.5 hunting bullets kill game real well because they penetrate well.

The esoteric 6.5-.284 is here to stay as well as the 6.5 Creedmore, 6.5 Grendel and .260 (AKA 6.5-.308). The old 6.5-06 remains a popular wildcat because ammo is easily made from .25-06, .270 and .30-06. Target bullet selection is limited among the .257 & .277 bore.

Just because I have problems buying 6.5X55 brass at my local gun store does not mean the round is obsolete or unworthy - brass is still being made some 100 years after the round was developed.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Most americans have no intertest in the 6.5 or 8MM diameter. In all reality, the 6.5's a nice diameter, but it's on life support in the states at all times. I like the 6.5 Swede, but I still use the .270 because of the advantages in availability, a bump in killing power, and aura surrounding the cartridge. I'm an example of what harms the 6.5's in America.
I've had two 8mm Mausers and they are an excellent deer and Elk Cartidge. The 6.5 X 55 is also a excellent deer rifle. Would love to have the sportierized 6.5 X 55 I had back in high school, but that was a long time ago.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
I've had two 8mm Mausers and they are an excellent deer and Elk Cartidge. The 6.5 X 55 is also a excellent deer rifle. Would love to have the sportierized 6.5 X 55 I had back in high school, but that was a long time ago.
I love the 8X57 too, I've had my fair share of shooting time with one. Great cartridge, and you can get ammo from Norma that kicks serious butt. The .270 kills the 6.5's, and the .30-06 kills the 8MM's and the .338's kill whats left. Simply put, the 6.5's and 8MM's are niche guns that will struggle to find much of a following outside of hardcore gun gurus. Between the .257 Bob, .25-06, and .270 the 6.5 is pretty much left without a chair.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I love the 8X57 too, I've had my fair share of shooting time with one. Great cartridge, and you can get ammo from Norma that kicks serious butt. The .270 kills the 6.5's, and the .30-06 kills the 8MM's and the .338's kill whats left. Simply put, the 6.5's and 8MM's are niche guns that will struggle to find much of a following outside of hardcore gun gurus. Between the .257 Bob, .25-06, and .270 the 6.5 is pretty much left without a chair.
Yep, and that's probably why I like them :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts