Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I came across this at a local gunshop and brought it home with me. Its in pretty good shape for a gun that is a year older than me. LOL I took it apart and gave it a good cleaning, now having a little issue getting it back together. I did a search on the web and her but didn't come up with a clear video of how to get it back together. Hoping one of you all could point me in the right direction. Thanks for looking!

·
Banned
67 Posts
Maybe I can help.

What are you having trouble getting back together? Maybe the upper (Barrel and Chamber), and Lower or (Grip Frame and Trigger Portion), the Mainspring Latch and Retaining pin or Bolt and Firing pin assembly? These guns are great can be a bear to reassemble. Below is a link to the pistol manual in a PDF Format. Inside you will see a exploded drawing. You will need and may have to install Abobe reader to view.

http://www.ruger.com/products/_manuals/markI.pdf[/url

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I've got the manual up without much success to show for it. The mainspring housing is where I'm having my issue. I can't seem to get it to pop into place and then roll into the slot on the grip to where I can get the housing latch to lock into place. Here's a picture of this part that is giving me the problem. thanks

it pops into place, but when I try to roll it into place it pops out enough so that it won't roll into place where I can push the housing latch back down to lock it into place

·
Banned
67 Posts
Look at the pin on the mainspring Latch..

On the end that goes up through the gun you will see the tip has a taper or bulb on top. When you insert the pin holding the gun so you are looking down at the hole in the top of the receiver you will see what looks like a very small button. This is actually the end of the mainspring assembly. You must depress it so the spring will release the pin enough to allow the bulb to go in past the pin on the mainspring latch.

Hope this helps.

·
Banned
67 Posts
Push a little harder when it pops in

far enough it should pivot into the frame with little force and lock the latch. Question. Are you saying it pops out when you try to work the action? The action will not rack until mainspring assembly is in place and latched. After you latch it, if the action will not fully rack something is wrong. Take it apart and check that the mainspring is in place and not upside down. The slotted end of the mainspring will only work when installed one way.

·
Banned
67 Posts
Twist it back and fourth

as you push the pin in. These things are sometimes contrary. You may also try to push the grip both ways very slightly to make sure everything is properly lined up.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

this is as far as I get before I try to roll the housing into the groove on the back of the grip. It just doesn't seem to be locked into place not matter what I try.

·
Banned
67 Posts
Make sure the safety is down in the off position before pushing the pin in. You might want to disassemble and check the mainspring. It sounds like it is not locking over the mainspring frame pin right.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

success! Finally...... thanks for all your help........ after I got it back together I hit the range with it and it's a very accurate gun, the picture is from the 10 yard target using a 47 year old gun sighted with 46 year old eyes. Not to bad. The magazine that came with it is original so I ordered another one as this one was a little hard to load and I had about 3 out of 300 rounds fired that it failed to pull the next round from the magazine. Overall I am very pleased with it.......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts