Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought my Ruger Mark I Target Pistol (adjustable rear sight and 6" tapered barrel) Serial No. 2000xx, in the late 1960's or early 1970's. (I can't remember what I paid for it.)

I am curious to know when my gun was made and how many Mark I Target pistols were sold.

In case you haven't seen it, there is an interesting article about the Mark I target Pistol in the February 2016 issue of The American Rifleman.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Are you sure that your pistol is a Mark I? Check the left side of the pistol. The rollmark should say Mark I. If it does not say Mark I, you probably have a Standard Auto that has had an adjustable rear sight added.

The Mark I target pistol was made with a 6 7/8 inch barrel whereas the Standard Automatic had a 6 inch barrel.

Your serial # fits in the production range for Standard Automatics made between 1960 to 64 (200033 to 259200).

Post some pictures if you can.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The left side of the pistol is marked RUGER 22 Cal. Long Rifle MARK I. The tapered barrel measures 6-7/8" from the front of the chamber to the end of the muzzle, and it has a flat muzzle crown. It also has a Micro rear sight.

There appears to be a "D" stamped about 1/8" in front of the serial no. 2000xx.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The "D" is the answer. It indicates a duplication of a serial number by the factory. This happened from time to time. Blocks of numbers were issued by the factory for the various models being made. As noted earlier, the 200000 range was used for Standard Autos but someone obviously erred when your pistol was made.

You do have a T678 Mark I. There were over 30,000 of these made between 1951 and the early 1960's. Yours is rarer in that it is a duplicate number.

Share some pictures with us if you can.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The "D" is the answer. It indicates a duplication of a serial number by the factory. This happened from time to time. Blocks of numbers were issued by the factory for the various models being made. As noted earlier, the 200000 range was used for Standard Autos but someone obviously erred when your pistol was made.

You do have a T678 Mark I. There were over 30,000 of these made between 1951 and the early 1960's. Yours is rarer in that it is a duplicate number.

Share some pictures with us if you can.
What does the T678 designate? Is the model number? Is it stamped somewhere on the gun?

I wondered about the serial number. According to The American Rifleman article, Ruger started the Mark I Target block of serial numbers at 15,000.

My gun is in excellent mechanical condition. I carry it in a holster. Consequently, the finish is nearly worn off on each side of the front sight ring and the front of the frame (between the stamping and serial number and the barrel).

I'll try to post some pictures.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Here's my Mark I. I bought it around 1980. Last summer, I won a rimfire league with it - I shot better with the iron sights than anybody in the open division.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
The Mark I's were made in three models. T512, T514, and T678. The T was for target and the numbers referred to the length of the barrel.

The initial T678 serial numbers used began at 15000 to 16999 and 25000 to 254xx. Those pistols were with Red Eagle grips. After the change to Black Eagle grips, they are found in the following ranges: 250xx - 271xx, 704xx - 786xx, 150xxx - 160xxx, 190xxx - 199xxx, and 300xxx - 307xxx. All of these are known as "small numbered" guns. The height of the serial numbers is smaller than later production. "large number" guns began to be produced in 1964 at about #3098xx and many thousands were made through 1981.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Here is some followup info sourced from Chad Hiddleson's Encyclopedia of Ruger Semi-Automatic Rimfire Pistols.

Approximately 600 Duplicate T678 Target Autos with small serial numbers (1/16 th inch high) were made in April 1962. The known serial # range is D200006 to D200570. Apparently an employee kept running the numbering sequence past 199999 before the error was discovered.

The latest RENE (Red Eagle News Exhange) valuation info has these at $400 for collector grade pistols. Collector grade is basically 95% or better on the finish and condition. Because of the scarcity, collectors may be interested in yours, notwithstanding the holster wear.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
There is now one more T678 Mark I in the list of "known" serial numbers. The serial number on my T678 Mark I with black eagle grips is D200001!

Again, based on this chart, my gun was made in 1961. Also, according to this chart, Standard and Mark I's made in 1962 start with serial number 217767. Ruger Standard and Mark I Serial Number History

Any explanation on the apparent discrepancy?

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
There is now one more T678 Mark I in the list of "known" serial numbers. The serial number on my T678 Mark I with black eagle grips is D200001!

Again, based on this chart, my gun was made in 1961. Also, according to this chart, Standard and Mark I's made in 1962 start with serial number 217767. Ruger Standard and Mark I Serial Number History

Ruger hasn't always used the numbers in the correct order.

·
Registered
710 Posts
MK I target, 'duplicate'

BarkeyVa, if you have to serial number "1" then YOU now have the lowest recorded version, for many years, I had gotten my wife her "new in the box" T678 and it is serial number #D 200006 and yes that being a 'duplicate number as noted above they were used for the standard autos, well I got her the SAME number, matched 'em up, now you got somewthing to look for,,,that gun is very valueable and collectible....
here is a picture of the sides of her guns.......

you best contact Chad at the RENE and report this, it is indeed a "find" and as for any discrepincies in the Rugers numbering , they are NOT about to put out "list" of their "errors' boo-boos, faux pas, seconds or "used" gun numbers, this is Chads job and a job the RENE does quite well....good for you

·
Have gun, will travel
1,339 Posts
Do grips make a value difference?

My Mark I's serial number puts it at 1971, I purchased it used in 1973 for $75. It came with rose wood thumb rest grips. Would these add to the price?

·
Registered
710 Posts
for what you paid for it you are way ahead of the game, and yes, "factory" walnuts will add a bit to the value, but mainly if thats the way it was shipped, yours is a much later gun and the basic Mark I target or either 5 1/2 or 6 7/8 inch and having adjustable rear sights ...the scarcer versions are the 5 1/4 inch tapered barrel, those are neat........

·
Registered
76 Posts

Congratulations, you have a new discovery.

Hiddleson's work was based upon his extensive research and copyrighted in 1993. He publishes the RENE and keeps track of new discoveries such as your pistol. Please contact him and let him know your details. He will share that with the collecting community.

As to the Ruger listing, it is their general reference and if you asked them for a factory letter on sn 200001, they would probably give you their data on the Standard Auto number 200001 since that would have been their normal production.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts