Ruger Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First an apology for starting this post.....but, did a search and failed to get information needed!

History: pistol disassembled and thoroughly cleaned, and lubed! The firing pin appears to be in good shape and moves freely, and the extractor moves freely......though occasionally will not extract an unfired round. An examination of the fired cartridge cases shows very good firing pin imprint!

Several times in a 10 round magazine, the pistol will take the cartridge to full battery, but apparently the trigger is not resetting! This is was slow fire or rapid fire use!

I’m open to your expertise and recommendations! Thanks in advance! memtb

·
Registered
658 Posts
First best guess: When you reassembled your pistol you didn't reinstall the disconnector/trigger correctly. The disconnector attaches the trigger to the sear and allows the trigger to release the sear. When the gun fires the bolt and sear reset, but if there is something wrong with the disconnector/trigger relationship the trigger and sear won't reset. The only problem I've ever had was with a loose disconnector spring, the disconnector wouldn't reset and pulling the trigger did not release the sear. Your results may vary, but that's the first thing that I would look at.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CtYankee,

My apologies!

I failed to mention that the reason for the disassembly, thorough cleaning, and inspection were the problems detailed! Your explanation may have been “spot on” had it been working prior to my work done! memtb

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have any aftermarket parts in your gun especially the trigger?

bubba68, I bought it used......but, to the best of my knowledge, it is stock! memtb

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
bubba68, I bought it used......but, to the best of my knowledge, it is stock! memtb
If the trigger is stock and does not have any pretravel or overtravel screws then I would check the trigger return spring. If it is weak it will give you intermittent trigger reset problems. You could stretch the spring slightly to see if that fixes the problem. If that fixes it you can get a new spring.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the trigger is stock and does not have any pretravel or overtravel screws then I would check the trigger return spring. If it is weak it will give you intermittent trigger reset problems. You could stretch the spring slightly to see if that fixes the problem. If that fixes it you can get a new spring.
Thank you very much! That makes a “ton of sense”.....no wonder I didn’t think of it! That project will be tackled “real” soon! Thanks again! memtb

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bubba68, FIRST.......a Happy Thanksgiving Day to You and Yours! Also a quick word of “Thanks”! 👍 I took her apart, measured the spring length, stretched it by 0.30” (figured that I would do measured incremental changes), and put everything back together! It seems it is functioning as it should! I’m a Happy Camper!

I’ve learned more about the Ruger Mark series in the last 3 days, than in the previous 10 years! 🙂 Thanks Again! memtb

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
bubba68, FIRST.......a Happy Thanksgiving Day to You and Yours! Also a quick word of “Thanks”! 👍 I took her apart, measured the spring length, stretched it by 0.30” (figured that I would do measured incremental changes), and put everything back together! It seems it is functioning as it should! I’m a Happy Camper!

I’ve learned more about the Ruger Mark series in the last 3 days, than in the previous 10 years! 🙂 Thanks Again! memtb
Hope you and yours had a good Thanksgiving too. We had a good one here. Glad to here that the spring fixed your trigger reset issue. If you don't have an adjustable trigger the trigger spring is usually responsible for most trigger reset issues assuming everything is put together correctly. Don't know if you like to shoot from the trigger reset if you do the reset on a MK II, III & IV is kinda pathetic. If you use a stronger trigger spring it will give you a reset that you can feel better. I have a good collection of springs and I rummaged around and found a spring slightly stronger than the original and put it in. It gives me a lot better reset that I can feel better as I shoot. It will add a little to the trigger pull weight but I can live with that for a better reset.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My little 0.030” adjustment gave no appreciable increase in trigger pull! If I start having issues again....I’ll try a bit more adjustment. If that fails.....a new spring! memtb

1 - 10 of 10 Posts