Ruger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a Ruger Mark II Target pistol and have pushed over 60,000 rounds through it over the years with very few issues. Today at the range I was able to fire the first round of 10, with the spent brass ejected as normal, but the second round would not fire. I safely removed the magazine and unspent round, and continued to fire off the remaining eight rounds. Okay, this has happened before with Remington Golden Bullets. No problem. However, this exact problem happened the next magazine, and for the following six times I reloaded the magazines. Can anyone out there PM me as to what I should do? Will this problem necessitate a trip to the gun smith, or do you believe that this may be a firing pin or seating problem? Thanking you in advance for any and all advise that you all may give.
Richard
[email protected]

·
Banned
56 Posts
If you used the same magazine over and over again without changing it is probably the magazine. Either the spring or the follower. Try another magazine and different ammo to eliminate potential problems. If that doesn't fix the problem I would field strip the gun. (Videos and manual online) T Next: Inspect the sear and sear spring for damage. Also take a look at all the other moving parts. Clean the gun by soaking the lower with the grips removed and carefully remove any corrosion with a blush, patch or rag. oil sparingly and reassemble and try again. If the problem persists I would replace the Sear and Sear Spring. They are readily available at Brownells or Midway USA. about $5.00 for the spring and not sure about the sear. This may not be a job you want to do on your own. It's tedious.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
I've owned a Mk II 5 1/2" bull barrel pistol for over 25 years. I would also pay attention to the bolt: recoil spring, firing pin, firing pin stop pin. Gunked-up or damaged/worn-out parts in those areas can cause firing failure.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
It may be a bad batch of ammo.

When you looked at the cartridges that did not fire, did they have a nice ding in them from the firing pin? or was it light or non existant?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was going to ask the same question. I have a Mark II Target I purchased used about 6 months ago. It does not fire on almost every other round. I have to eject the round and then it will fire the next one.

I'll try the above advice.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I would inspect those unfired rounds for light strikes, if there light ,I suspect a firing pin or spring problem,If everything looks good ,maybe ammo , had a box of rem gold short time ago I just threw away complete box of duds!

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
You might look at the firing pin channel in the bolt. Mine was getting a bit touchy and I took out the firing pin only to find it covered in crud. Cleaned out the channel, very lightly oiled it (just the oil on my fingers plus a needle oiler small drop, and things have been excellent since. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts