Ruger Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Occasionally when shooting the Mark II, the gun goes into battery after a shot and the trigger clicks for the next shot and doesn't fire. I then pull the bolt back and it ejects the empty shell and loads the next bullet from the magazine. Other guns of the same make never do this. Does anyone know what the problem is? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has happened with two different brands. I have another Mark II in Nevada and a Mark I here that doesn't have this problem but each gun has it's own personality so that doesn't help.

·
Code Slinger
2,202 Posts
The only thing I can think of is, .22s are dirty and might have gunked up your pistol. Try tearing it down and heavily clean around the action and inside the chamber. Maybe even lightly hit the chamber with a bore brush.

Hopefully Iowegan can give some insight when he gets on.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had already cleaned it pretty well when the problem first happened but maybe I should do it again. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Many times it's just an ammo preference, but--- Make sure the face of the bolt is clean with no crud build up. Pull the firing pin and clean the groove in the bolt and lightly lube the fp and spring. Check for free movement, no binding. Inspect the ejected round for firing pin strike, placement and indention depth.
Iowegan will suggest more, I am sure.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The gun does go into battery after a shot so the shell has been hit properly but does not eject it even though the trigger trips. Still have to clean the chamber and bore first chance.

·
Code Slinger
2,202 Posts
Let use know how things turn out. If you get too frustrated you can send it my way. I collect all kinds of Mark's from new to abused. :)

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
After rereading again, the problem seems to be the gun is not ejecting the spent case, which indicates the ejector is not contacting the case to 'kick' the case off the bolt face.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Make sure the extractor claw isn't gunked up with carbon and crud. I usually use a bronze brush behind the 'hook' area of it. Also, make sure the groove in the barrel where the extractor seats when in battery is clean and doesn't have any crud preventing the extractor claw from getting a good grip on the rim of the cartridge.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,433 Posts
The Mark Series pistols are designed to use high velocity ammo. This sounds like a classic case of "standard velocity ammo syndrome". I don't think there's a darn thing wrong with the gun other than the ammo.

Before the spent case will eject, the bolt must be blown back to the rearward limit. If the ammo is too weak, the bolt will be blown back just far enough to cock the hammer then return to battery. The fact that the case remains captured by the extractor tell you the bolt face is good and the extractor is working properly. Because the case ejects manually, it tells you the ejector is also working properly.

Go buy some new 22 LR High Velocity ammo and give it a try.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Iowegan: Thanks for the tip. I will get some high velocity today and try it. I might mention though that my other Mark I & II do fire standard velocity ammo with no problems. Could be that they have a weaker spring from more use. Will let you know how I make out in a few days as I have range duty this weekend.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got a chance this afternoon to test out the gun after cleaning according to all your suggestions. It shot 30 rounds without a bobble with the same ammo I had the problems with. Cleaning the chamber with a larger brush [had no chamber brush] seemed to clear away the problem. My son's gun had a similar problem but was working well after using hi-velocity ammo according to Iowegan's suggestion.
Thanks to all of you!!! I am a Ruger nut and am now happy. GREAT FORUM!
P.S. I got the Stingers for my son.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts