Ruger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to install a set of Hogue grips on my Mark III and discovered that the original screws may be a bit short. The grips are on but just by a thread. (No pun intended. :D ) From what I have gleaned from this forum the screws are 6x40 and 13/64 inch long. Should I order new grip screws that are longer? What, and whom, should I order them from? Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you in advance for your assistance. Have a great Thanksgiving all!

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I'm not sure about longer screws but if there's enough meat on the Hogue grips where the screws pass through you could probably ream the head recess by hand with the right size drill bit.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Rugers Mark III manual warns not to over tighten the grip screws. If they protude into the magazine well, they can hinder the insertion and removal of the magazine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Possibly

I'm not sure about longer screws but if there's enough meat on the Hogue grips where the screws pass through you could probably ream the head recess by hand with the right size drill bit.
Sounds like what i will wind up doing.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have Hogues on all my Mark pistols and have always used the stock screws. You just have to be sure the holes are lined up correctly and push a little bit. They'll go, trust me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Neube

Just like aceranch said, must have the holes lined up good and be careful not to cross thread them. Does take a little push.
Thanks for the reply. Yep I did the push and it appears they are in there. By the way the Houge rubber grips are an improvement over the original grips. I love shooting my Mark IIIs! I will wait a couple days to see if they "set" a little bit. Being a Mark III newbie I did not want to screw anything else up. :) (again no friggin pun intended :) ) :eek:

·
Registered
76 Posts
The Hogues tend to be a tad tight and difficult to line up at first. I do love the way they fit my hand though. I wish they had them in OD for something a little different.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine took a bit of work and time to get everything to line up, but I was able to get the stock Mark III screws to fit in with the Hogue grips. Ended up having to have another set of hands while I was installing. One person to hold the grip in the right place, and the other person to actually screw the screw in.

Much better feel now though. I'm definitely pleased with them. :D

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I have Hogues on all my Mark pistols and have always used the stock screws. You just have to be sure the holes are lined up correctly and push a little bit. They'll go, trust me.
Plus one. Once they've been on a while, the rubber compresses some, and it's not as hard a job putting them on the next time.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,789 Posts
Merlin, I get this vision of changing light bulbs ... you holding the bulb while someone else turns the ladder. Just joking of course :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts