Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been trying to train my wife to use a handgun proficiently. The problem is even my 38 Special gives her problems. We were at the range Saturday and I had several handguns with me, my Springfield XD-9, S&W 642, Sig P 238 and my Kimber. Of course, I was shooting the Kimber 45 acp. She has a fear of handguns that I'm having a problem dealing with.
We were at one of the double plate rack stands and she had just put the little J- frame down. I had it loaded light with wad cutters over 3 gr of Titegroup.

A guy and his daughter of about 9 years of age walked up about that time. They asked if they could shoot the other plate rack. I said sure, go for it. The kid loads up a 22 pistol, takes the stand and it was bang bling, bang bling, bang bling till all six plates were down. I was impressed to say the least as was my wife.
My wife asks me, what's that kid shooting? I say a 22. She says, hmmm, maybe that's what I need. I ask the guy, hey what brand 22 is that. He says, it's my Glock with a 22 conversion kit on it. So, I think great idea. I'll buy a conversion kit for one of my 1911's. after a bit of research and price checking I decided it would be better to just buy a nice 22 pistol.

So I start checking on a 22 that is nice, accurate and won't break the bank.
After posting on another forum I'm a member of and talking to a few gun buddies I decided on the Ruger Mark III Hunter. One of my gun buddies owns a gun shop and told me he has a couple on order and delivery should be about a week. I told him to put my name on one.

From my research, I see that these pistols do pretty well out of the box. But I notice from reading on this forum, you guys are doing a lot of tuning by VQ accurizing? Is this that great of improvement for the price?

But I need to go shoot the pistol a 1000 or so rds before I start thinking about that.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I've got one it's a real sweet gun right out of the box. Give some time before you decide to do any modes to it. I'm sure you'll see a post from North County Gal on this. She's an expert on these guns.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Thanks, gmsoapy. :)

As gmsoapy says, out of the box, Marks are usually just fine for anything short of serious competition shooting and for that kind of work, you will want a better trigger via a VQ or other trigger mod. Otherwise, for general shooting and, especially for training, they are just fine.

If you do decide you want a better trigger, just adding a VQ sear and spring will get you the most improvemnet for the dollar. I can accomplish the same thing or better with the stock hammer/trigger/sear with careful stoning and polishing, but that is not something I recommend unless you've had some experience. Going the VQ sear route is the safest and easiest route for most folks.

Gmsoapy is also right on the money with the recommendation to just take it out and shoot and enjoy before going down the mod road. For a beginner, there is such a thing as too light a trigger on a semi-auto. I rarely let other folks shoot my target guns for that very reason. If and when your wife is to the point she gets annoyed with the stock trigger, you can worry about it, then.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the info and replies. On edit; North country gal, if I do decide to improve the trigger, I'll take your suggestion and just replace the sear and spring first. This pistols first role will be a training tool, then something to plink with for fun later. When I'm out and about in the woods, the GP 100 is usually on my side.

I've done a few trigger jobs, one on a Ruger. I did the IBOK on my GP-100 some yrs back. But I don't plan to do any mods on this one unless I see that I need them.
I did a lot of other work on that GP-100 but I'm a caster and I was working on getting it to shoot my boolits straight without leading, which I accomplished.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
You're going to enjoy the Hunter. ;)

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Down South, I've done about a half dozen Marks, this last year, for friends and fellow shooters, including three Hunters. Not sure what the deal is with the Hunters, but the ones I worked on had sharp edges, both inside and out. Not a big deal, but if you've done some work on your GP, you might want to do some polishing on the internals. Will smooth things up, nicely. The Hunters were also the tightest to the point of needing a wood dowel and hammer to get apart. Could be part of the reason, though, the Hunters I've shot have been the most accurate Marks I've ever had in my hands and I've owned and shot several Comps. Amazing guns.

10 shot group, 50 ft from a rest, 2x Leupold scope

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I had my Hunter out to the range today and put 200 rounds thru it. Cutting down until ammo supplies come back. This is the first I've gone to our county range. It's amazing 2500 acres. It's unreal. Anyone one coming to Vegas should go to it. It's only about a 1/2 from the strip. The veiws are unreal. But back to the thread. My Hunter is my favororite MK. How if I could only shoot like North County Gal I'd be a happy camper. Altougth on the way back we stopped a LGS the had a flat black MKIII with a flash suppressor and rubber hand grips. It's a Talo special for $410. It almost came home with me.
George

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, that week on order just came in yesterday, 2-1/2 months later. I'll pick it up next weekend when I go home.
Now if I could just find 22 LR bullets, it would be nice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts