Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just found this forum I have a Mark III with a suppressor and I am trying to shoot subsonic ammo ( Agila super extra ) and they are not cycling it seem like the spring is to strong to eject the empty just need some info thought mabey some one has been through this before . Thanks Jerry

·
Registered
49 Posts
Try shooting some regular speed ammo, they don't shoot as fast thru a pistol as a rifle and most will remain sub sonic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Kenny Thanks for the reply I have actually tryed that and my suppressor does do a good job with long rifles but I still get a little crack with the agilas all you here is the firing pin hit so I am wanting them to work bad. Thanks Jerry

·
Registered
921 Posts
Deer Hunter maybe your MK III just needs to be broken in a little more
any idea how many rounds you have run through the pistol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi I have ran several thousand I buy the Federal bulk packs and shoot at least 2 a month I am just guessing but I would say 4 or 5 thousand mabey more it cycles Remington subsonic pretty good but I get a loud crack out of some of them so I am wanting to get the Aguila working thank you for the reply Billy. Jerry

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I have used various types of sub-sonic ammo in my auto pistols and have not had good success with it reliability cycling the action. The Wolf MT worked the best in my MKIII Target model.
I do not yet have a suppressor but hope to get one soon - well I mean "soon" as in getting permit.

My interest in sub-sonic ammo is mostly from using my bolt action CZ 452 Ultra Lux with 28 1/2" barrel. Not as quiet as a suppressor, but still very quiet as I can hear the round hitting the dirt mound.

I have used the Aguila, Remington sub-sonic, CCI sub-sonic, and the Wolf MT. My SR22 will work with sub-sonic as will my S&W MP22, but neither pistols are that much quieter - they just don't have the crack.

The MKIII seems to need the higher power ammo to be reliable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Guys I see them shooting subsonic in a Mark III on youtube so I am not giving up yet some how they get it to work if anyone gets any info let me know I know Kidd makes a special bolt spring for a 10/22 for subsonics I just ordered on but I can't seem to find any thing for pistols. Thank every one for welcoming me to the forum and your replys. Have a good one Jerry

·
Registered
17,258 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
welcome from nevada! enjoy the forum and your marklll! you'll have to give us a range report when you get it sorted out-- a marklll is on my definite short list (my dreams right now include a marklll, another 9mm for ccw, and a over/under 12 ga).

·
Registered
154 Posts
You may need to rework (ie cut) the recoil spring if you want to run those Aguila (I'm assuming these are the super colibri) which are primered only - there's no gunpowder in those rounds...

And then you may find that it won't work with standard velocity or high velocity ammo.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Marks and the special quiet and subsonic stuff do not generally get along, well, unless you are into operating your Mark, manually, after every shot. My old vintage Marks, which are about as smooth and "broken in" as it gets in a Mark, just plain hate that stuff. I do shoot the quiet stuff quite a bit, but I shoot it in my revolvers and bolt guns.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Hi dangrd actually I am useing Aguila Super Extra they have 1025 fps Colibri only 590 fps so they are hotter just not quite hot enough I may try the working over the spring over I had thought of that just hoping some one had and aftermarket one so I wouldn't have to tinker with it but that on my list . and again thank every one for the welcome its a pleasure meeting all of you you seem like a nice bunch of people . Thanks Jerry

·
Registered
10,286 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Just to try it out, I purchased a box of Aguila SSS Sniper Subsonic Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 60 Grain Lead Round Nose, a couple of months back.

I was curious about the heavy, low velocity .22 round.

It was an interesting experiment. But not interesting enough for me to buy any more. :(

My SR22P semi auto pistol didn't like it. I only fired 1 magazine through it. I had multiple failure to ejects.

I fired the remaining 40 rounds through my 77/22 bolt action rifle.

Yeah, they were a little quieter, but the POI was way low at 100 yards.

I just didn't see anything special about them to buy more.

Duane

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.