Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my pistol bolt is not being consistently locked back on the last shot. has around 1500 rounds through it. It has been functioning well until today. Have been field striping and cleaning regularly. gun is not even close to 1 year old. ???

·
Registered
9 Posts
My issue is the bolt latch, if you look at the latch it will probably be dinged up where the slide hits it, it appears to be a pretty common issue with the mark III, mine was pretty beat up on the end of it, I could still shoot it fine but the bolt wouldn't stay open after the last round, the part is about 10- 20 bucks depending on where u get it as soon as I get the part I'll let you know how it is to replace it

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Clean your magazines !

Disassemble and clean the inside of the magazine body and the follower. The follower is not pushing the slide stop up after the last round.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cleaned the magazines, went to the range and ran about 100 rounds through the gun. The cleaning seemed to do the trick!! Thank you Petrol & Powder for your help and simple solution.

nintago, thank you and I will be interested to see how you make out.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
My issue is the bolt latch, if you look at the latch it will probably be dinged up where the slide hits it, it appears to be a pretty common issue with the mark III, mine was pretty beat up on the end of it, I could still shoot it fine but the bolt wouldn't stay open after the last round, the part is about 10- 20 bucks depending on where u get it as soon as I get the part I'll let you know how it is to replace it
This is common when people use the LOCK LEVER to close the bolt. You shouldn't use the LOCK LEVER. Draw back the bolt by grasping the ears, pulling back, then let go, and let the spring tension slam the bolt closed. It is incorrect to use the LOCK LEVER to close the bolt. Ruger calls it a LOCK LEVER because that's its function. It is NOT a SLIDE RELEASE LEVER.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yup, I've read that a lot, problem is I never use it to release the slide I've always pulled the bolt back and released as u have stated, not sure y it wore out but hopefully not to hard to replace

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Its not hard to replace. It also shouldn't have worn if you slingshot the bolt. Its possible you got a soft part from Ruger, anything is possible. Are you shooting Hyper Velocity ammo like Stingers, or YellowJackets? That's also not recommended.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Been a while since i shot that pistol , but yes very possible I had shot a few box's of high velocity rounds so that makes perfect sense now , thanx for the input :)

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Been a while since i shot that pistol , but yes very possible I had shot a few box's of high velocity rounds so that makes perfect sense now , thanx for the input :)
Not HIGH velocity... High velocity is fine. HYPER velocity is what you should avoid. There is a difference.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
CCI Stingers
CCI Quik Shok
CCI Velocitor
Remington Yellow Jacket
Remington Viper
Aguila Super Maximum

These are the ones I know of. There may be others as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So I did Change out the bolt lock, was too bad of a job 😊 I was able to carefully get the trigger pin to move just enough to remove the original bolt lock without removing all the internal parts, hard part was getting the holes to line up good to push the pin back in , thanx for your input on the ammo, I ran 50 rounds of blazer ammo and everything works perfectly now :)

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Hyper velocity loads won't do anything to cause damage to the bolt catch, as such, did not cause this issue. It'll batter the action spring, action spring guide, and the bolt, but the bolt catch does not get exposed to any extra force caused by higher powered rounds.

Also of note, Ruger recommends against hyper velocity for reliability issues, not for damage prevention. Hyper velocity rounds are typically lower bullet weight, giving them less recoil momentum impulse to operate the action, which can cause short strokes. High velocity, high energy rounds with standard bullet weights are pretty rare, which will batter the action.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Interesting. .. so maybe it was just a bad bolt lock, or wasn't heat treated I had only had maybe 1000 rounds through it when it started giving me issues anything is possible I guess

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
CCI Stingers
CCI Quik Shok
CCI Velocitor
Remington Yellow Jacket
Remington Viper
Aguila Super Maximum

These are the ones I know of. There may be others as well.
Great revolver rounds though. :cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts