Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been shooting IDPA for about 10 years now. About 6 years ago I started s using a revolver for all the gun games in which I participate.One of the revolvers that I initially used for IDPA was a S&W Model 646. You may not be familiar with it but it is a 6-shot L-frame with a 4" barrel and a titanium cylinder, chambered in .40 S&W. Since it uses moon clips it was shot in what is now, the ESR sub-division which means it had to make the major power factor of 155 (PF = bullet weight in grains multiplied by velocity in FPS and the total divided by 1000). It was a good combination. The problem was that the 646 was becoming too valuable as a collectible to continue using it in competition - so I retired it.

Started using a S&W 625-8 PC. Also a good gun for the game, but when my gunsmith started shooting for Team Ruger, I decided to give the Ruger MC a try. We did some minor upgrades - springs and some smoothing of surfaces and installation of a Bowen Rough Country rear sight and a Dawson .100" green fiber optic blade for the front sight. I also installed a Hogue Tamer monogrip. These were developed for the S&W X-frame hyper-magnums. They have a special elastomer insert at the top of the grip to cushion the web of the hand. It makes a big difference, especially since I had surgery there to repair a broken thumb a couple years ago.

I no longer reload, so I am currently using Federal SynTech .40 S&W with the 205 gr bullet. Fortunately, the moon clips that I used with the 646 also work well for the MC. They are from Ranch Products. Holster is from Speed Beez, made for them by Comp Tac and I use a stacked moon clip holder from North Mountain.

Here is the gun and some of the accessories...

I made the rack so that it fits into my range bag. I load all the moon clips at home which makes thing go smoothly at the match.

If you haven't tried any of the gun games (IDPA / USPSA / ICORE / Steel) I encourage you to get out there and give it a try. If you do, you'll never want to stand in one place and shoot at static paper targets again.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very cool! I want to use my 5 inch gp100 for my local idpa although my king cobra might be a better Choice
They might let you in a local match, but by the rules max revolver barrel length is 4.2". Better limber up that King Cobra.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any questions about getting started, feel free to PM me. In the meantime I put this together - may shorten your learning curve.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Competing With a Revolver in IDPA
SSR Subdivision

The Gun:
  • Maximum barrel length: 4.2” (beginning of forcing cone to muzzle)
  • Division capacity: 6
  • Minimum bore size: .357” / .38 Special caliber or larger utilizing rimmed ammunition
  • Loading: Singly, strip or speed loader (moon clips prohibited)
  • Power factor (PF): Minimum 105 (Power factor determined by multiplying the bullet weight in grains, by the muzzle velocity in feet per second, and dividing by 1000)
  • Sights: Factory or any other notch & post arrangement. Ghost rings, full length ribs, etc prohibited
  • Action: Trigger jobs, conversion to DAO allowed, but gun must be safe
  • Grips: There are specific dimensions allowed, but most all factory and aftermarket grips are allowed, with the exception of Hogue or Nills Big Butt grips or true target grips (thumb shelf, palm shelf)
Gear:
  • Belt: Maximum width allowed is 1.75”. Belt must be threaded through the belt keepers on your pants (no over/under belt arrangements allowed).
  • Holster: Strong side hip holster (IWB or OWB), vertical or rearward cant. Trigger must be covered. Front strap of grip must be above the top of the belt. Center of trigger pad must be behind body centerline. Retention devices, if present, must be used (they can be permanently removed, but not temporarily disabled). Front edge of holster can be no more than 1” below the rear of the cylinder.
  • Speed loaders: You may carry three speed loaders on your belt, either all on the weak side or two on the strong side in front of the holster with the third behind the holster. You may utilize a 4th speed loader to load at the line when the command is given. Total of 24 rounds.
  • Speed loader holders: Must either be of open top construction that holds the loader by tension and covers 45% of the full circumference and body of the loader and be of cartridge height when viewed from the front, or be retained by a cover secured by either a snap or Velcro closure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What club do you belong to in NJ?
I belong to Easton Fish & Game Assc. in PA, but they no longer hold handgun only matches. They are into 3-gun. Too much for this old man.

I shoot matches at various clubs around the region:
Shongum Sportsmen's Assc. near Hackettstown, NJ - USPSA
ICORE & IDPA at Lower Providence Rod & Gun Club in Audubon, PA
IDPA at Phillipsburg Pistol Club in Phillipsburg, NJ
IDPA at Somerset County Fish & Game Protective Assc.in Bridgewater, NJ

There are other clubs that hold matches that I attend occasionally, but the above are the main ones and if all are up to speed allow me to shoot a match every weekend.

More than happy to answer any questions about any of the above games.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If your ever in the Jackson area of NJ. check out Central Jersey Rifle & Pistol Club. It's a great club belonged to it for years.
Great facility. I've shot many USPSA matches there. About 45 minutes from home.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also shot handgun metallic silhouette there, back in the day. Just not in my current rotation of matches.

PB

1 - 11 of 11 Posts