Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought all of "us" Mini-14 fans would enjoy what I came across on TFL. This guy is a member of Bermuda's security force where the MINI-14 has been their issued firearm for many years.

I have been issued the mini 14 for the last 5 years of my service, and I cannot find fault with this rifle. It is soldier proof which is very important, it is simple to operate and strip. Not all soldiers are mechanically inclined, so simplicity is a bonus. I have seen soldiers run up to a sandy firing point drop and fire off a magazine with sand visible on the action with no stoppages. In my opinion, more important than pinpoint accuracy is a weapons ability to go bang when it is needed, you cannot always guarantee that your personal weapon is 100 percent clean. The ruger just works, plain and simple. The accuracy is also more than acceptable, we have marksmen that can do amazing things with these old rifles.
The Firing Line Forums - View Single Post - Bermuda Regiment Gives Up Mini-14
Bermuda Regiment Gives Up Mini-14 - The Firing Line Forums

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks for sharing - the testimonial really sums up the simplicity and reliability of the Mini-14 platform! Too bad the Bermuda Regiment is giving up on it!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Its good to see verification of what I've know since I bought my first Mini 14 over 25 years ago. I sold that one but the election prompted me to buy another.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
The AR snobs can [and do] look down their noses at the Mini, but to each their own. I love my Mini and will never part with it.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I have always thought that the best thing about the Mini 14 is the action, and the ability of the action to cope with grit and dirt. I will take a Mini over a Direct Impingement (DI) AR 15 for sure.

·
Banned
163 Posts
A running argument between my buddy and me. Being designed by Bill on the M14 action, which I carried ever so briefly before being changed to the Mattel rifle, it is built like a tank and will hit anything out to the range my old eyes can see.

Reb

·
Registered
843 Posts
when I bought mine slightly used on the late 70's and paid very little for it. I must admit I treated it like what I paid for it.

I wanted a Garand or M1a/ M14, but couldn't find either or afford them when I did find either. Bought it from a friend out of the service that also was looking for a stand in for the M14's and M1 Garands he carried.
So it was the stand in cheap 2nd cousin for what I really wanted.

We shot in a sand pit, dusty , kicking up sand as the rifles lean against the bench , they'd get their share of sand.

I've shot it dry, dusty, dirty, gritty. always worked.

After I learned more about it, I stopped treating it like a $50 gun, and respected it and treated like it should be.
But for a tiny bit of range rash, there's nothing left behind to remind me of it's miss treatment as a b#st#rd child. IT shoots great and is great to shoot.

Same here, I never want to part with it..

It's now the proud founding member of my rotating bolt club in my safe..
can you tell which is now the b#st#rd child from the 80's is?

Gotta love it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Nice line up. I am working on the same.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've had a few minis over the years (I'm 65) and they all seemed to work real well all the time. I've often wondered why the military didn't take a good look at the AC556, especially with all the problems the M-16 was giving them.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I've had a few minis over the years (I'm 65) and they all seemed to work real well all the time. I've often wondered why the military didn't take a good look at the AC556, especially with all the problems the M-16 was giving them.
they way I heard the story it was a lot of political wrangling... Stoner's team was made up of folks from the Johnson team, which lost to the Garand.
Basically Stoner and his team were assured of the contracts, just had to work out any bugs... They weren't gonna let the Johnson team (Stoner's team) lose again. It was a lock for Stoner, against anyone.
Seems Bill wanted them to take a hard look, but it never happened.
Just what I've heard and read in different write ups over the years.
No idea of where to find any first hand diary type accounts of it.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Nice line up. I am working on the same.
tnx, it's one of each of the branch of the family tree that came out for a family picture.

The non-plastic ones seem to multiply when left in the dark safe for too long of a time. Not as bad as rabbits, but nearly at one point... slowed down lately.

Lot more satisfaction out of shooting the classics VS the plastics for me.

Want to get a newer model mini14 to add to the family and a 18" barrel m1a/m14. I have USGI parts kit from a demilled m14's from the CMP, need a receiver , bolt , barrel to put another together.
I have a USAF 308 Garand in the works.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Bought my 28 year old 4 time Combat Veteran son a Ruger Mini 14 in .223 caliber 4 years ago for Christmas... He absolutely LOVES the Ruger Mini 14 so much so that he told me if he could he'd carry it with himself on deployment if allowed...

He has done some NICE conversion work by adding a HarBar barrel truss system that DRAMATICALLY improved his 1oo yard accuracy of his Mini14 from 2-2.5" MOA to now under 1" MOA...

He also added an ARC-ANGEL tactical custom stock,Aimpoint red/geendot optics with laser and a TBAR bibod forgrip... VERY NICE...

I finally broke down 2 days after the election & went to Wal-Mart and brought 2 more Ruger Mini14 .223 Ranch Rifles.one for my brother & one for me... My Mini14 required NO adjustments and was shooting 2-3" MOA with my bad eyes & Iron sights right out of the box ! ! ! AWESOME AWESOME RIFLE.... Now if Ruger would just bring back the .308 XGI Rifle variant of the Mini14...
(see this on this forum & its own thread)....
NOW that would be the ULTIMATE Mini14 RIFLE in .308 Caliber=Ruger XGI Rifle....

(see Ruger .308 XGI Rifle image link below...)

Google Image Result for http://www.huntershouse.dk/images/v%25C3%25A5ben/ruger/nr1mm/mini14-adskilt.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts