Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from Texas!

I just purchased a used Mini 30 Ranch rifle with a polymer stock. I am old school, just hate plastic in a gun! Who can help me find a wood stock with the liner and reinforcement bracket for this gun? Ruger stopped making the wood stock for the Mini 30, but the Mini 14 is still available. Will a Mini 14 wood stock fit on the Mini 30 I have?

Love Ruger, made in the USA!

GEP30

·
Banned
513 Posts
The Mini 14 stock is a little bit more narrow than the 30, but if you are good with your hands and wood working you can use the Mini 30 mag well as a guide and a wood rasp to file out the wood mag well. The 14 and 30 are not that much different but small adjustment will have to be made for it to fit.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I opened up the mag well area of a new Ruger Mini-14 wood stock with a rasp to work on my Mini-30, only took about 5 minutes. That's the easy part.
Since your synthetic stock did not come with a reinforcement bracket to switch over, you will have to locate one to use on your new stock.
I bough the new stock from Midway for 90 some dollars. But I already had the stock reinforcement bracket from an old stock.
Old stock--- too short---too orange---slippery butt plate:

New stock--- nicer wood---better LOP----thin rubber stock pad:

·
Registered
680 Posts
Well mine came with a wood stock. Before the retooled 580+ series it was a stock option. And the used 197 I bought had wood. See what other posted above.

·
Exalted One
1,808 Posts
I just got a wood stock through Midway for my Mini-14. It cost $106, but had all the hardware (stock reinforcement, etc.). It was a simple drop-in replacement for me. Birch, and looks okay. They're out of stock right now, though.

Ruger Rifle Stock Assembly Wood Recoil Pad Liner Ruger Mini-14

+1 on what Kame and Sandog said about rasping for Mini-30s...

The one thing I didn't care for on this stock was that the stock reinforcement hardware isn't steel (at least a magnet doesn't stick) - feels like some sort of polymer. May not matter, but I'd feel better were it steel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You guys are great! Thanks for the help and the leads!

Sandog, your rifle with the Midway stock is what I want for my gun. I'll let you know how I make out.

Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I Have One

Found myself in the same spot last year with "Tactical" Mini-30 that I wanted to furnish with wood. I had my wife on the hunt for a stock as well and ended up with one I bought and one for Christmas from the wife. I don't need two so if you're still looking, let me know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts