Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry I haven't posted but this once but I just bought a Ruger Mini 30 with the serial number of: 189-52101

I paid around $650 and would like to know if I have been ripped off or have purchased a rifle for a little less than it was actually worth?

I have tried to find a serial number searching engine but have not been sucessful.

Thank you.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! You can go to ruger.com and find the year your gun was made. (I am at work right now and can not go to Rugers web site-go figure!) That is a tad steep, I would think, especially if for a used one.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If it's in real good shape, that's about what they go for around here. Feeding it get expensive. The 7.62 X 39 is kind of rare right not.

Jman

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also might want to mention that it is wooden and not the newer synthetic version. If that's correct terminoligy. (spelling?)

Anyway...i did go to ruger.com and i must not be comp savy but wasn't able to find what i was looking for.

if anyone could...say...help me, that would be great!

thank you!!!!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I had one only factory mags worked in it I had a chance to sell it and did so. Rifle shot well just the after market mags didn't work worth a dang in it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You all are very helpful! I'm glad I came here.

I went to that link but could not find the matching serial number for my gun. Maybe I'm just......stupid.

Sorry I'm being so...bothersome.

So maybe it's around a 1993 year model. I believe I haven't paid too much then?

Thank you again.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
You probably won't see your exact serial#. it is a batch range for certain years. Just see what batch your numbers will fit into and then that wil be the coresponding year.

I think that price is a bit too high unless it is very, very minty or with worth-while x-tras.
They got new ones in ss at gunbroker.com for less than that.
Check out www.gunbroker.com

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
melrose,
you are not bothering us one bit so stop that and also your not stupied either, maybe uninformed but heck we all are at one time or another. Any and all questions here are welcome, we are not like that here we don't bite each others head off here either.
I too have paid much more than I should have for a weapon but it was what I wanted I was happy and so was the previous owner. True we can always do better and we all try to do better. maybe that is why we don't work for minuim wage as we want to do better.
Nuf said

·
Registered
366 Posts
No worries there is a guy here that is tying to sell one for $1,200.00 because it has an accuracy international setup on it. I know these are supposed to improve the rifle, but 1,200 for a 600 dollar rifle that has been shot quite a bit from what I understand ? So, I guess the idea is if you bought it and it makes you happy to shoot it than thats all that matters. Hell, I'm guilty of paying way to much for a certain fire arm because I wanted it ! Were all guilty of it. [:0]

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I paid a little over $600 for mine back in 2004 brand new. At the time Ruger offered both the wood stock versions as well as the synthetic. I placed an order for one and thought I had told the clerk I wanted synthetic but the one that arrived had a wooden stock. I went ahead and took that one home -- I've been happy with it ever since. Now Ruger only offers the Mini-30 with the synthetic stock.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I'd pay about $700 tops for a Mini 30 or 14.....I believe that they're an awesome design, having trained with the M14 and the feel and balance thrill my little pea-pickin' heart-just haven't scraped it up yet...but I have a case of .223 in the closet waitin' for that day!!! Enjoy your investment!~! I'm wit' Snuffy....ask away-we'll be askin' you, too-we all come out better for the questions....that's part of why we're here...the other part's the good coffee and blueberry(thankyouverymuchJB) pie!!!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
You might try Cheaper than Dirt or Ammoman.com for bulk ammo for practice...the Dirt people may have some hi-cap mags...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry I haven't posted but this once but I just bought a Ruger Mini 30 with the serial number of: 189-52101

I paid around $650 and would like to know if I have been ripped off or have purchased a rifle for a little less than it was actually worth?

I have tried to find a serial number searching engine but have not been sucessful.

Thank you.
its a 1990 model

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Melrose hey there welcome to the Ruger Forum nice to have you here! Is your Mini-30 like a Ranch Rifle or a regular Mini-14? In other words does it have scope rings that you can attach to the receiver or not? If your rifle is clean & in good functioning condition given the current situation with ammo, & guns I think you paid a fair price. Because I have seen just regular Mini-14 Ranch Rifles going from $1100 to $1600 which is way over priced!! I hope you also got some magazines with your deal. Today while at Cal-Ranch they had several box's of 7.62x39 ammo. Which I think is what your Mini-30 shoots. I was surprised! Luckily I have a good supply of ammo for my Mini-14! Good luck with your Mini-30 I wouldn't mind one to go with my Mini-14!!:D

·
Super Moderator
4,081 Posts
First of all welcome to the forum from The Bluegrass. As far as whether or not it was a fair price I'd say yes it was fair. You liked the rifle and he\she liked the cash. Everyone wins. I've knowingly paid a little more for a gun simply because it was available. I won't succumb to gouging but paying at the top end of the normal range doesn't hurt my feelings too much if it's something I really want.

Right after Newtown you couldn't touch a Mini30 for less than $1000 no matter how old it was or what condition it was in. They're still not that easy to find. I'd say the price was a tad high for one in average condition. If it's in better than average condition the price you paid is in the ballpark. In a nutshell you did not get ripped off. Enjoy your new rifle.

One more thing. The beauty of buying any used Ruger is that if it should have a problem Ruger is fantastic about fixing it for free or next to nothing even though you aren't the original owner. Best CS in the business.

·
Exalted One
1,722 Posts
Melrose hey there welcome to the Ruger Forum nice to have you here! Is your Mini-30 like a Ranch Rifle or a regular Mini-14? In other words does it have scope rings that you can attach to the receiver or not? If your rifle is clean & in good functioning condition given the current situation with ammo, & guns I think you paid a fair price. Because I have seen just regular Mini-14 Ranch Rifles going from $1100 to $1600 which is way over priced!! I hope you also got some magazines with your deal. Today while at Cal-Ranch they had several box's of 7.62x39 ammo. Which I think is what your Mini-30 shoots. I was surprised! Luckily I have a good supply of ammo for my Mini-14! Good luck with your Mini-30 I wouldn't mind one to go with my Mini-14!!:D
Melrose, he asks an important question about whether or not it is a Ranch Rifle type or non-ranch. If it is a non-ranch type, ejects will tend to be more vertical than horizontal. What that means is that ejects could hit whatever scope you may want to mount later. Ranch-type Minis will have two mounts that stick up a bit: one on the front of the receiver and one near the rear sight. They were designed to eject more to the side in order to clear a scope.

Regardless, folks in the Mini-14/Mini-30 forum at Perfect Union almost unanimously agree that Mini-30s don't play well with cheap steel-cased Russian ammo. I would recommend brass-cased ammo for reliability - something that Minis are known for.

Congrats on your purchase, and enjoy!:D

·
Registered
445 Posts
Regardless, folks in the Mini-14/Mini-30 forum at Perfect Union almost unanimously agree that Mini-30s don't play well with cheap steel-cased Russian ammo.
What sucks is, the Mini-14 does fine with steel cased, including Wolf.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts