Ruger Forum banner
61 - 80 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I got my mini 14 in 2016. Went back & forth on the 14 & the 30. I figured if the zombie apocalypse happened, a gazillion rounds of .223/5.56 out there, & along with that, what a 30 30 would do compared to the 7.62 x 39.(already had the 30 30 ) With the right ammo, a .223 will drop a deer as quick or quicker than the AK round, EXCEPT, in a lot of states, the .223 isn't legal to deer hunt with. I'm happy with what I went with, but, would also like to have a mini 30.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I'm thinking seriously about making a Mini 30 my next gun.
I searched the forum, but there's not much current info on them.
Thanks.
Really ? I have about 3,400 posts on perfectunion about the Mini-30, optics ammo, etc. and a couple thousand on this forum. Not to mention what a few thousand other owners have said about the Mini-30.
Just giving you a hard time. Always good to see another Mini thread. That's how we learn from our shared experiences.

You see more false info when it comes to the Mini's, and the Mini-30 in particular than with any other platform.
There has been good info on this thread though. Listen to Bepe especially.
Three of us on PU forum did a lot of testing and experimentation, Bepe, Beck and myself were (and still are) the biggest fans of the Mini-30 and the 7.62 x 39.

More than accurate enough (for its intended uses), as reliable as can be, plenty powerful enough (for its intended uses) great ergonomics and left hand friendly, simple manual of arms, and in most forms, not scary to the general public.
The SKS was great when you could get them for $150-$200. Now guys are asking $600 +.
I didn't pay that much for any of my slightly used Mini-30s.
And Minis are lighter, better ergonomics and LH friendly, American made, longer sight radius, easier to mount an optic, and still have support from the manufacturer.

Don't pay $30-$40 or more for Ruger magazines. There are places that sell them year-round for $24-$28, depending on the capacity. Frequently out of stock these days, just put in your e-mail and get notified when they are back in stock.
Bepe and I already had some 20 rounders, but we got a bunch more and I put a grey Cerakote finish on them.
Ruger mags are great but that nice blued finish will rust easily if you don't keep oil on them.
And oil is a no-no on the inside of the magazine. Hence the Cerakote.

Mag bodies and floorplates, Ultimak and FastFire protector housing sandblasted and ready to coat:

Magazines done:

Enjoy that new Mini-30 when you get it. It will keep you fed and keep you alive, and do it with style.
And when you have questions, we'll be here to help.
Welcome to the Brotherhood.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Ruger : Lanbo's Armory, Firearms - Ammo - Accessories (lanbosarmory.com)
These guys have good year-round prices. As mentioned, they are frequently out of stock these days, but sign up for notifications are jump on it when they do notify you.
Midway used to have them on sale a couple times a year, but now it looks like they just charge $35 like most other sellers.

If you ever run across any KCI 30 round mags for sale, buy them. All of them.
Keep a lookout on Gunbroker, E-Bay and Mini classifieds on the forums.
Even if you find the 30's to be a bit long, someone will appreciate them and take them off your hands.

KCIs are built like AK mags, solid as a tank. They lock in tight with less wiggle than Ruger mags. You can rest the mag on something and it still feeds fine.
Thicker feed lips and body, like an AK magazine.
They come with a phosphate finish that will fingerprint easy but prevents rust.
I sandblast them and coat with Cerakote, same as my Ruger 20's.

The Mini-30 has been called "America's AK-47". That is even more true if the magazine used in the Mini is the equal to what you'd use in an AK-47/AKM.
The majority of my mags are 20 round, and I use a 5 round for hunting and bench, but when things get serious, I'd want to lock in the KCI.

·
Banned
448 Posts
They are fine rifles. A little pricey in the best of times. Typically, you could get an AK47 much cheaper, but now, it's all about what's available where you are.
Some things to consider.
7.69 can be expensive unless you are buying Russian ammo. The earlier Mini-30s did not like the Russian primers. My understanding is that has been addressed, but something to consider. An AK chews them up without any problems.
Another option that would accomplish the same thing would be an AR in 300 blackout. About the same size round and velocity. Then you have the option of building an upper that fires 5.56. Cheaper to shoot and have a large quantity of ammo for.
Finally, if this is primarily a hunting rifle, why not just get a hunting rifle? If you are at 7.69 distances, a 30/30 would likely fit the bill. Any rifle can be double as defensive duty. If you are prepping for a SHTF scenario, this may not fit your needs. If you just want something for home defense (as opposed to homeland defense), it can work just fine.
Have you been paying attention to levergun prices recently 😅

·
Registered
43 Posts
Really ? I have about 3,400 posts on perfectunion about the Mini-30, optics ammo, etc. and a couple thousand on this forum. Not to mention what a few thousand other owners have said about the Mini-30.
Just giving you a hard time. Always good to see another Mini thread. That's how we learn from our shared experiences.

You see more false info when it comes to the Mini's, and the Mini-30 in particular than with any other platform.
There has been good info on this thread though. Listen to Bepe especially.
Three of us on PU forum did a lot of testing and experimentation, Bepe, Beck and myself were (and still are) the biggest fans of the Mini-30 and the 7.62 x 39.

More than accurate enough (for its intended uses), as reliable as can be, plenty powerful enough (for its intended uses) great ergonomics and left hand friendly, simple manual of arms, and in most forms, not scary to the general public.
The SKS was great when you could get them for $150-$200. Now guys are asking $600 +.
I didn't pay that much for any of my slightly used Mini-30s.
And Minis are lighter, better ergonomics and LH friendly, American made, longer sight radius, easier to mount an optic, and still have support from the manufacturer.

Don't pay $30-$40 or more for Ruger magazines. There are places that sell them year-round for $24-$28, depending on the capacity. Frequently out of stock these days, just put in your e-mail and get notified when they are back in stock.
Bepe and I already had some 20 rounders, but we got a bunch more and I put a grey Cerakote finish on them.
Ruger mags are great but that nice blued finish will rust easily if you don't keep oil on them.
And oil is a no-no on the inside of the magazine. Hence the Cerakote.

Mag bodies and floorplates, Ultimak and FastFire protector housing sandblasted and ready to coat:

Magazines done:

Enjoy that new Mini-30 when you get it. It will keep you fed and keep you alive, and do it with style.
And when you have questions, we'll be here to help.
Welcome to the Brotherhood.
Yep, Bought my 189 Series Mini-Thirty in 1989 and it just keeps getting better... and the Mini-30 new from Ruger just keep getting better. One of my all time best firearm purchases for sure...

·
Banned
448 Posts
Lever guns were under-appreciated and under-valued. Mine is a 35 Remington. The ammo I have in my stash is probably worth more than my Marlin.
I don't think that is the case any longer. Seems like any JM Marlin 336 I see in person has a price tag of $800 and higher on them, if its not a beat-up piece of crap. The same can be said of 94 Winchesters, even post '64 models!

And for sure, 30-30, 32 special and 35 Rem ammo prices have shot up to the moon! Seems like at least $40 a box for 30- 30 and at least $50 for the others.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Ok, I "pulled the trigger" on the mini 30 and ordered it yesterday. I got the wood stock version, which comes with 5 round mags. That's fine - it looks a little less militaristic to the wife, which is important. I also ordered additional 10 and 20 round mags for it, as well as 500 rounds of ammo for it. As I expect this to be a short range to 200 yard weapon, I think I'll put a 3-4 MOA red dot on it. I've got my eye on the Burris Fastfire 2. Opinions on that are welcome. I don't really expect this to be a sniper rifle and I think for the range intended, a red dot will work well. Anyway, I genuinely appreciate all the input on this thread. I'll post some NGD pics soon! I expect to really love this rifle.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Ok, I "pulled the trigger" on the mini 30 and ordered it yesterday. I got the wood stock version, which comes with 5 round mags. That's fine - it looks a little less militaristic to the wife, which is important. I also ordered additional 10 and 20 round mags for it, as well as 500 rounds of ammo for it. As I expect this to be a short range to 200 yard weapon, I think I'll put a 3-4 MOA red dot on it. I've got my eye on the Burris Fastfire 2. Opinions on that are welcome. I don't really expect this to be a sniper rifle and I think for the range intended, a red dot will work well. Anyway, I genuinely appreciate all the input on this thread. I'll post some NGD pics soon! I expect to really love this rifle.
Well, I ended up ordering a Sig Sauer Romeo 5, which is a 2 MOA, I think. Primarily because of a few of its features, like auto-wakeup, etc. I'll see how I like it. As I've said, I don't expect this to be a long range accuracy weapon. If I can nail 200 yard targets with reasonable accuracy, I'm good with it.

61 - 80 of 132 Posts