Ruger Forum banner
81 - 100 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Well, I ended up ordering a Sig Sauer Romeo 5, which is a 2 MOA, I think. Primarily because of a few of its features, like auto-wakeup, etc. I'll see how I like it. As I've said, I don't expect this to be a long range accuracy weapon. If I can nail 200 yard targets with reasonable accuracy, I'm good with it.
Romeo 5 is a great RDS for the money.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Nice Jekyl !
Consider replacing the Ruger handguard with a Choate. Everything else about your Mini-30 is great, but the eyes are drawn to that fugly handguard. When I get a new Mini and replace the factory handguard with the Ultimak, the factory guard goes right in the trash.
Plus the Choate provides better cooling.

Looking forward to the range report.

·
Registered
257 Posts
All sorts of optics available. Strongly suggest selecting optics which don't require a "chin-weld" or a cheek-riser.

Optic in above Pix is way too high for a decent cheek weld. Sorry to say it, but it's true.

I made same mistake in the past; you're not the first.

I won't lie to either of us in saying otherwise.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Nice Jekyl !
Consider replacing the Ruger handguard with a Choate. Everything else about your Mini-30 is great, but the eyes are drawn to that fugly handguard. When I get a new Mini and replace the factory handguard with the Ultimak, the factory guard goes right in the trash.
Plus the Choate provides better cooling.

Looking forward to the range report.
I will. Thanks for the suggestion. It is pretty ugly.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
All sorts of optics available. Strongly suggest selecting optics which don't require a "chin-weld" or a cheek-riser.

Optic in above Pix is way too high for a decent cheek weld. Sorry to say it, but it's true.

I made same mistake in the past; you're not the first.

I won't lie to either of us in saying otherwise.
Yeah, after I held it and sighted a bit with it, I agree with you, it was too high. It came with a 'low' mount included. I put that on and like it a lot better. It's much closer to the iron sight level. Apparently Sig got the message.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Got my mini 30 today. Getting it dressed up and ready to shoot.
Looks good. Welcome to the Ruger M-30 club. I agree about getting a Choate handguard, but I keep my original around in case I need to get things back to a semi-sorta factory configuration for some reason. I also have a wood handguard just to have. So many options... your fun and good times with the Mini has just begun.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Since the majority of red dots made are going to go on ARs, not Minis, most come with very high risers under the optic.
Some like the Primary Arms can be had with the lowest riser when ordering. Nice that Sig includes two.

It looks like yours is as low as can be with the factory rail. For a future upgrade consider getting the Ultimak at some point. You'll get the dot another 1/2" lower, much closer to a cheek weld than chin, and close to iron sight level.
It's also good to be rid of that bar of metal right over the action, plus your peripheral vision will be improved.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Was your Choate good as far as cosmetics ? A guy a while back got one and said it had flashing sticking out all the seams that he had to trim off. Maybe they had a brief lax period with their QC.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 · (Edited)
Was your Choate good as far as cosmetics ? A guy a while back got one and said it had flashing sticking out all the seams that he had to trim off. Maybe they had a brief lax period with their QC.
It was tight, but I'd prefer it tight to loose. It went on without a lot of force. Looks fantastic. Props to Choate and crew! [Edit: Oh, and it was shipped and received REALLY quickly, which is appreciated. I ordered it on Tuesday and rec'd it USPS on Thursday. Can't complain about that]

Air gun Trigger Shotgun Wood Automotive exterior
Wood Bumper Air gun Trigger Automotive exterior

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Ok.... Range report. I took my new 10/22 (scoped) and the new Mini 30 (equipped with the red dot described above) to the indoor range today. I was able to get the 10/22 shooting on point at 50 yards without a great deal of trouble. The Mini was a little more troublesome, but I think it was more about the red dot than the rifle. I must have an astigmatism because at 50+ yards my red dot looked like a star, which makes it diffiicult to get pinpoint accuracty with. I did get it close enough to declare victory, but I didn't like it. I am thinking seriously about going to the range with only the iron sights and seeing how that goes. I didn't feel like the red dot added anything and yes, I know it's my eyes, not the equipment.

The gun performed flawlessly - no jams, mis-feeds, nothing. My biggest issues was getting the larger (10 round) mags to seat into the mag well properly. This could be the new-ness of the firearm, my inexperience with the proper angle to insert them or anything else, but I didn't have problems with 5 round mags. Overall, it was a great experience.

More to follow.

·
Registered
595 Posts
It was tight, but I'd prefer it tight to loose. It went on without a lot of force. Looks fantastic. Props to Choate and crew! [Edit: Oh, and it was shipped and received REALLY quickly, which is appreciated. I ordered it on Tuesday and rec'd it USPS on Thursday. Can't complain about that]

View attachment 168509 View attachment 168510
I have found that the front lip is too thick on a few I have purchased. Makes install tight or impossible. I had take a fine file and make a few passes around the top area of the lip, keeping it even. Slid right in after that.

Be careful taking yours off, if it went on tight. Easy to break that front lip if yanking on it.

Once you get the "hang" of inserting the mags it becomes second nature.

Bepe

·
Registered
100 Posts
Here is information from somebody who owns an older Mini 30 and actually uses it for hunting Kentucky size deer.

View attachment 165663

Mine is scoped with a 1x-4x-32mm. I put a folder on, but the standard wood stock was just fine. The Bushnell optic has been on mine since the late 80s. You will see it has a 5 round mag in it so I can lay it on my coat on my stand’s shooting rail.

My Mini is about a 2.5 moa example with Herters soft point lead bullets in steel cases. I have also used Winchester brass hunting. For fun shooting I use 20 round mags and any 7.62x39 ammo. All the steel I have tried goes bang. I have killed many does with it inside 125 yards. I use it AFTER I have tagged my buck.

My primary rifle is an M77 Mk II in 30-06. My bolt gun has a 3.5x-10x-40 Leupold VX-3i. It does MUCH better between 125- and 300-yards.

View attachment 165665

I always want my bolt gun for the first deer. If it’s close, great. If it’s far, I don’t have to cross my fingers hoping that I can hit it and have enough remaining energy to break down a big animal.

Some of our Kentucky deer need more caliber to be impressed.

View attachment 165670

The Mini 30 is fun to doe hunt with; however, I have never needed more than 2 rounds. If it’s not obvious, I would use my bolt if I can only pick one.

·
Registered
110 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I have no issue filling up the few mags I shoot every month by hand.
If I have to load a bunch, and in somewhat of a rush, stripper clips for our Mini ammo and guides for the receiver or magazines would be the way to go.

I keep all my SST handloads and Silver Bear loaded up on stripper clips. Around 650 rounds. Clips used are the good Russian SKS ones, not the modern NC Star ones.
And have a stripper guide (mag loader) for my mags.

If I had the newer receivers, I'd get the Cogburn one that mounts on top in the pic rail holes so you could strip right into the inserted mag. They do make a guide for the older Minis, it mounts into the bolt stop plate.
Not as great, but should still do the job.
Stripper Clip Guides – Cogburn Arsenal

Edit.... I hadn't looked at the model that replaces the bolt stop plate in a few years, and was thinking it just "floats" where it needs to be. Looking closer at the pic, it straddles the back scope base on the older Ranch rifles. Should make it pretty solid, its sure not going to flex when you shove a stripper clip down.
Think I need to order two of them.
Mini-30 Clip Guide 581 and Lower – Cogburn Arsenal

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have no issue filling up the few mags I shoot every month by hand.
If I have to load a bunch, and in somewhat of a rush, stripper clips for our Mini ammo and guides for the receiver or magazines would be the way to go.

I keep all my SST handloads and Silver Bear loaded up on stripper clips. Around 650 rounds. Clips used are the good Russian SKS ones, not the modern NC Star ones.
And have a stripper guide (mag loader) for my mags.

If I had the newer receivers, I'd get the Cogburn one that mounts on top in the pic rail holes so you could strip right into the inserted mag. They do make a guide for the older Minis, it mounts into the bolt stop plate.
Not as great, but should still do the job.
Stripper Clip Guides – Cogburn Arsenal

Edit.... I hadn't looked at the model that replaces the bolt stop plate in a few years, and was thinking it just "floats" where it needs to be. Looking closer at the pic, it straddles the back scope base on the older Ranch rifles. Should make it pretty solid, its sure not going to flex when you shove a stripper clip down.
Think I need to order two of them.
Mini-30 Clip Guide 581 and Lower – Cogburn Arsenal
The CA stripper clip guide is pretty stout, and I have not observed any flex in using it on my 186 series Mini. If there is any gap between the stripper clip and the top of the receiver, a thin shim of metal or hard plastic can be glued to the stripper clip guide to fill the gap.

81 - 100 of 132 Posts