Ruger Forum banner
101 - 120 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Follow up..... As I've previously reported, I put a Sig Romeo 5 on my Mini 30 and took it to the range for the first time. Didn't work well with my eyes, which I will blame it on. Starbursts instead of a dot (known issue). I got it 'mostly' zeroed, but wasn't happy with the experience. I removed the RDS and am going to the range to 'zero' the iron sights tomorrow, then punch some targets. Given the range that I expect to be able to accurately place hits with this rifle (50-200 yards), I 'ought' to be able to do it with those sights. I'll be back tomorrow to post my results.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Oh yeah. Centennial is my go-to. Truth, Voodoo Ranger, Goose Island, Two Hearted Ale, Elysian, Bells, Dogfish Head, Sierra Nevada…..

Life is too short not to drink good beer and good coffee.
Truth. I've recently stumbled into (or at least out of) Voodoo Ranger Imperial Ale. 9%. Blam.
Love the Dogfish and Bells. My staple is West 6th IPA. Most excellent and recommended.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm waiting to see which made for the AR15 30-30 equivalent from Wilson Combat "Hammer" or Winchester "Legend", whichever one takes off.
I'm considering it in one of those new M1 carbine copies, but may look into a mini 30 if they do it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Range Report Update. I bought my Mini 30 in April. Worked well the first time out. The second, not so much. After 5-10 rounds shot the entire trigger housing assembly was falling out of the rifle, literally. At that time I didn't have any tools with me (thinking that the set screws on the sides of the stock needed tightening). I finally got back out there today and could not get more than 5 rounds fired without, literally, the assembly (and magazine) falling out of the rifle. I fooled with it, looked for something obvious, had the range officer fool with it - nothing. I contacted Ruger today. There is definitely something wrong with this one and am gonna have to send it back. The trigger guard snaps into place as it should and it appears to be locked in, until you run some rounds through it. It's like Candid Camera - you shoot 5 rounds and your rifle falls apart. I'll post a follow up when I hear from them, but I expect to have to send it back and either get it repaired or replaced. Not good news and I am not a happy shooter today.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
That's a bummer. They'll make it right.
I had that happen with a new Choate pistol grip stock I bought. It was light and quick handling, but dumped the trigger group before you could get through a magazine.
I tried to see the problem but couldn't, the hooks on top of the trigger guard seemed to be locking in the action, and the trigger guard snapped shut normally.

I called Choate, and about a week later, I got a new stock in the mail, and a note that the new stock was taken out to the range and tested by old man Choate himself, and that he had a 189 series Mini-30 dropped into it.
Same as what I had, they didn't ask and I didn't tell them. The stock should fit any series anyway, 181 forward.
They seemed to know what the issue might be, and they hadn't asked for my old stock back to inspect it.
But Choate jumped right on it and corrected the issue.
Ruger will too.

Worked well your first time out - the trigger group was engaging, maybe barely, and no parts dumps.
Second time out - stock wasn't holding the trigger group in. What little engagement/retention you had the first time, is no longer sufficient.
Most recent time - same thing, and the problem wasn't going to fix itself from the last time, but most likely get worse.
As you probably found out, tightening the screws on the sides of the stock didn't help, those are to hold the magwell reinforcement in.

This has to be a stock issue, something is oversize and interfering with the hook engagement, or your hooks could be tweaked.
Without a slender camera to put up in there, I wonder if some stocks (like yours and my old Choate) let the hooks spread out and lessen the engagement surface, and other stocks are snug enough that the hooks can't spread out.
My only theory I can think of at present.

A funny story about when the Mini was being developed, similar to your candid camera parts dump.
Mr. Sullivan had a prototype Mini and they had been firing it. But to fire it, he and some others had been holding the trigger group in, for some reason it was not at the stage where it would lock in.
Bill Ruger walked by and immediately wanted to fire it. The guys around him tried to explain that he had to hold the trigger group in but he told them he knew how to shoot it and blazed away.. The trigger group and mag fell out and hit the ground. Mr. Ruger was probably a bit perturbed and embarrassed.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
That's a bummer. They'll make it right.
I had that happen with a new Choate pistol grip stock I bought. It was light and quick handling, but dumped the trigger group before you could get through a magazine.
I tried to see the problem but couldn't, the hooks on top of the trigger guard seemed to be locking in the action, and the trigger guard snapped shut normally.

I called Choate, and about a week later, I got a new stock in the mail, and a note that the new stock was taken out to the range and tested by old man Choate himself, and that he had a 189 series Mini-30 dropped into it.
Same as what I had, they didn't ask and I didn't tell them. The stock should fit any series anyway, 181 forward.
They seemed to know what the issue might be, and they hadn't asked for my old stock back to inspect it.
But Choate jumped right on it and corrected the issue.
Ruger will too.

Worked well your first time out - the trigger group was engaging, maybe barely, and no parts dumps.
Second time out - stock wasn't holding the trigger group in. What little engagement/retention you had the first time, is no longer sufficient.
Most recent time - same thing, and the problem wasn't going to fix itself from the last time, but most likely get worse.
As you probably found out, tightening the screws on the sides of the stock didn't help, those are to hold the magwell reinforcement in.

This has to be a stock issue, something is oversize and interfering with the hook engagement, or your hooks could be tweaked.
Without a slender camera to put up in there, I wonder if some stocks (like yours and my old Choate) let the hooks spread out and lessen the engagement surface, and other stocks are snug enough that the hooks can't spread out.
My only theory I can think of at present.

A funny story about when the Mini was being developed, similar to your candid camera parts dump.
Mr. Sullivan had a prototype Mini and they had been firing it. But to fire it, he and some others had been holding the trigger group in, for some reason it was not at the stage where it would lock in.
Bill Ruger walked by and immediately wanted to fire it. The guys around him tried to explain that he had to hold the trigger group in but he told them he knew how to shoot it and blazed away.. The trigger group and mag fell out and hit the ground. Mr. Ruger was probably a bit perturbed and embarrassed.
Thanks Sandog, for the feedback. You are right that it seems to be getting progressively worse. Today, I started with 5 round mags and got through one. The second, after finishing the 5th round, dropped the trigger assembly and the mag. I then tried a 10 round mag and only got half way through it before the hardward dump including the half empty mag. I suspect a hook engagement issue. I genuinely hope and expect that Ruger will make it right. I can't use this rifle as intended, but defects happen and I'll give them the chance to make it right. That's funny about Bill Ruger having the same experience. At one point today, I had the range guy standing behind me, watching, and me laughing out loud when the guts of this gun fell on the table. He looked it over, messed with it, and said "I don't know", you're going to have to send it back to Ruger. So, that's where we are. More to follow.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
I received a response from them this morning after submitting a request online with a description of the problem. This is what they said:
"You can try bending the back of the trigger guard in towards the trigger just a little bit. This should tighten it up to keep it in place. If you still need assistance please contact our service department at 336-949-5200. Have the serial number handy when calling."

I'll try this, but suggesting that I need assistance with a new firearm that is built 'this' well is somewhat insulting.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Bending the trigger guard in at the bottom does nothing to the top of it, where the hooks are, and that is the problem, the hook engagement.
And bending the trigger guard is beneficial if the trigger guard has been tweaked, but not necessary if your trigger guard has been snapping in normally.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Bending the trigger guard in at the bottom does nothing to the top of it, where the hooks are, and that is the problem, the hook engagement.
And bending the trigger guard is beneficial if the trigger guard has been tweaked, but not necessary if your trigger guard has been snapping in normally.
Yeah, I think I'm going to call BS on this. I'll give them a call and talk about it.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
If it falls out and the trigger guard is still hooked on the trigger housing then it’s not going to help to “adjust” the trigger guard. If it falls out and the guard isn’t still latched then tightening may help.
I wouldn’t be insulted by Ruger considering what they have to deal with on an hourly basis.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
If it falls out and the trigger guard is still hooked on the trigger housing then it’s not going to help to “adjust” the trigger guard. If it falls out and the guard isn’t still latched then tightening may help.
I wouldn’t be insulted by Ruger considering what they have to deal with on an hourly basis.
You know, this is a great point and thinking back on it, I don't remember having to unlatch it before reinserting it into the rifle. Based on your logic, that would mean that it is somehow coming unlatched. I've 'tightened' it as best as I can and it seems very solid to me. I'll have to get it back to the range and put some rounds through it (and pay better attention). I'll follow up once I've done that. Hopefully a shipment back to Ruger won't be needed.

·
Registered
247 Posts
All respects to Mini-30 owners, but I'm still chugging along with my much-modified Russki 1952 Tula SKS.

More than one way to skin a cat, and again, no disrespect.
There is a related SKS story here also. I've owned several Yugos, three Chinese, and a Russian. Once I changed a Chinese factory stock out for a custom made wooden replacement and every time I fired it, the magazine latch would open and dump the 10 round mag. Went back to the factory and no more issues. I have also had good experience with the Hogue overmold on both SKSs and Minis without issue. Likethe Mini, if the height of the stock features are different than OEM, the lower features of the firearm will have trouble.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I received a response from them this morning after submitting a request online with a description of the problem. This is what they said:
"You can try bending the back of the trigger guard in towards the trigger just a little bit. This should tighten it up to keep it in place. If you still need assistance please contact our service department at 336-949-5200. Have the serial number handy when calling."

I'll try this, but suggesting that I need assistance with a new firearm that is built 'this' well is somewhat insulting.
Sorry to see you're having issues with your new Mini-30. The trigger guard issue is reported from time-to-time but is a very rare issue. Ruger will get things running tip-top for you if you send your Mini-30 in for service. They may ask you to try some simple things that have fixed the issue for others, but ultimately they'll arrange to have you send it in for service.

Another option, if you're a DIY guy and like to tinker with things like I do, is to buy a new trigger guard from Gun Parts Corp to see if the new part resolves the issue. Sometimes it does. And it doesn't hurt to have the spare part handy even if it doesn't resolve things.

I bought a new Trigger guard from Gun parts Corp a couple years ago to have in my spare parts box. I tested it first of course and it works like a charm. There was nothing wrong with the old trigger guard. I've never experienced the problem you're having in my 33-year-old 189 Series Mini-30. I just like to have spares of certain parts on hand.

(Holy Cow! I'm 33 years older than I was when I bought my then brand new Mini Thirty! It just hit me! I don't feel that much older)

The stainless steel 581+ Series part you need is in the following link from Numrich Gun Parts Corp: (Trigger Guard, Stainless Part #297430C)

Trigger Guard, Stainless

As you can see by the photo there are several places where things can go wrong with fitment if a part is out of spec. As Sandog said, the problem could be something other than then where the guard snaps in. The "Hooks" at the top are a likely suspect.

Tool Hand tool Metalworking hand tool Metal Bicycle part

It's probably best just to send it to Ruger and get it done. I would probably fiddle with it myself a bit more if I had my trigger group falling out, but that's just me and my tinkering DIY nature. Just wanted to give you another option. I've never had to send my Mini-30 in for service, and I'd rather not. It's a well oiled machine... performs better today than the day I bought it.

One way or the other the problem will be resolved. That's been my experience with Ruger for most of my adult life.

Cheers!
~Beck

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Like Ramblins aftermarket SKS stock, I suspect the height on my problem Choate was a height issue too.
But I still wonder about the hooks spreading in a generously wide stock as well.

Jekyllmeister, you said you don't remember having to disengage the trigger guard to reinsert the trigger group. That makes it sound like the top hooks are fine, but the jolt of firing is unsnapping the trigger guard.

What Sr40ken said about whether the trigger guard needs tweaking or not is good logic.

Some close observation back at the range might sort it out for you.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Like Ramblins aftermarket SKS stock, I suspect the height on my problem Choate was a height issue too.
But I still wonder about the hooks spreading in a generously wide stock as well.

Jekyllmeister, you said you don't remember having to disengage the trigger guard to reinsert the trigger group. That makes it sound like the hooks at the top are barely engaging and your trigger guard tightness is fine.

What Sr40ken said about whether the trigger guard needs tweaking or not is good logic.
Unless the trigger guard is unlocked when falling and snaps closed when the trigger group hits the ground.

Some close observation back at the range might sort it out for you.
I think you may have misunderstood my comment.

101 - 120 of 132 Posts