Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did some brief range time with the mkiii plain jane standard 6" model so here goes a report.

This pistol came as a gift and a total suprise as i had no part or input in the selection. To be honest, i'm a bit hard headed at times and generally will turn my nose up at about anything that claims to be "new and improved".

I had already had a pre-conceived notion that i was not going to ever purchase a ruger mk III due to the new fangled loaded chamber indicator, magazine dis-connect, and the dreaded(for a lefty) push button magazine release.

I had viewed the loaded chamber indicator as an added complication of moving parts and something else to stick out of the gun ruining its lines. Mag-disconnects to me generally means that the trigger is going to be a bit gritty and heavy. And my dislike and distrust of this type of mag release on ruger .22's came from a brief experience with a ruger 22/45 mk II in which while holstered, the mag button would get "bumped" and the mag would jetteson out of the gun causing one to back-track to find it.

Fast forward to the present and here i am holding a mk III given with love to me from my family, therefore its a keeper. Perhaps i had best review my predjucies.

First thing that i immediately noticed is the finish of the gun. It was a used gun but seemed to had been shot very little with no signs of abuse. The bluing is dark and rich. What i like to call Johnny Cash Black. The gun was in its orginal box with spare magazine and the book. Also included is a set of keys to apply to the internal weapon lock. Have no use for them but the lock mechanism is hidden out of the way so no harm, no foul there.

This gun had the standard ruger plastic grip panels and the checkering was abundant and sharp---no problems with any slippage there. Balance---oh my! I am still of the opinion that no other .22 lr pistol balances in the hand any better than a ruger standard barrel mk series and this one was no exception. Nothing against bull barrels or against .22/45 shooters, but for me the tapered barrel standard ruger with its "Luger" grip has just always felt the best. Comfortable to hold and a natural extension of my hand.

The sights--solid thick chunks of steel. For a field gun, i can't see how a person could lose, damage, or knock out of allignment these sights. Not adjustable for elevation, but this is going to be a field gun not a competition gun shooting competition ammo. I figure one can just buy the specific ammo that shoots to point of aim the best and have fun. Snuff can accuracy at 25 yards was all i needed with this style of pistol.

A most pleasant suprise came from the magazines themselves. Unless my memory is off, ruger seems to had enlarged or re-designed the button on the side of the magazine. Loading the magazines of this mk III seemed to go much easier, faster, and painless compared to the old ruger design. And i guess two of my predjucies canceled each other partly out here concerning the magazines. The mag release button was not near as "touchy" as i had feared and when activated, the magazine did not come flying out of the gun like fighter pilot having to eject from a plane. The mag disconnect prevented it from flying out to parts unknown and i had to physically withdraw the partially ejected magazine. This ain't a combat pistol, its a field gun so i actually like the mags not falling free.

I did find myself slipping however. I was use to the old mk design and several times i kept trying to claw the mag out the butt of the pistol looking for the butt-heel release. Adding to the confusion is a "bracket" in the bottom/end/well of the butt that actually looks like part of the old heel release system. My fault as again i'm old and out-of date.

In a bit of a hurry today, so i only took one load with me to the range---Winchester super "X". Started off with her at 10 yards and after getting accustomed to the trigger she was pratically punching one ragged hole. Impact was dead on so no worries there. And the trigger----it has been several years since i owned a ruger MK pistol---was i thought very good. Don't have a trigger pull gauge, but it sure seemed to be light and crisp. No felt grit, sand, or bolders in the pull--just a clean light break.

Backing off to 25 yards i adjusted my hold to 6:00 and the rounds, when i did my part, all grouped around 4"---standing unsupported. No windage problems. Of course i suddenly got attacked by some coke cans and the ruger put em' down in short order. For tickles and grins, i stood up some empty 12 ga shotgun hulls---way more difficult but eventually i had my way with them as well. Plenty good enough for my 1st outing and the supplied sights. When i get more time, i'll shoot from the bench and see how tight she'll group. As i get more accustomed to the gun i imagine she will do better. If i need more than that i'll put optics on her or get back into T/C contenders.

Towards the end of my shooting, i suddenly remembered the loaded chamber indicator. Guess this is a good thing as it didn't get noticed and it is out of the way. Just plain forgot about it as its over on the side out of the way. Checked it and it works. Hate that red paint on it. If i have need for such i would just rather run my finger down the side and feel it instead of looking for it.

Driving back home, i had to come to terms with myself. I was "full of it" with some of my pre-conceived opinions about the mk iii. Nothing like a little range time to shut up this old fool and get the facts straight![:I]

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
thanks for the report looks like a nice shooter.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,703 Posts
Looks like another MK III convert! Great guns ... good report.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts