Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, i am looking for a head to head comparison of the mKII to the MKIII.

Main concerns are the "improvments".
Any problems with that loaded chamber indicator? Is it worthwhile or is it another point for dirt and gunk to acculumate and affect the function of the weapon?

Also the movement of the mag release to a button form on the side instead of the butt/heel. Any problems with that? I had a bad experience with a 22/45 before that seemed to have a very light touch to the mag release and the mag would be out of the gun when i least expected it. Just a too light spring in that one instance?

Figure that the mkII mags will not work in a mkIII.
But mkIII mags should work in a mkII shouldn't they?????

Final question, any tremendous difference in the triggers of the mkii and mkiii?

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,408 Posts
deputy125, I owned both guns in the KMK 512 configuration (Stainless steel, 5.5" bull barrel, adj sights). After I got the MK III up and running, I sold the MK II.

First, out-of-the-box accuracy and function was very equal in both models. My older MK II was not drilled and tapped for a scope so I can't directly compare anything but "open sight" accuracy. Trigger pull was so close only a digital trigger pull tester could tell the difference of less than 1/4 lb. The MK II had a smoother & crisper trigger but it had several bricks of ammo run through it to smooth things up. I suspect the MK III will improve with use too.

Now for the added goodies on the MK III. The Loaded Chamber Indicator (LCI) kind of bothered me at first but the more I shoot the MK III, the more I like it. You can see and feel the LCI then instantly know if the chamber has a round in it (unless you are left handed). So far, I haven't seen a single time where it got in the way or caused any problems with feeding or extraction. Pretty it ain't!

The key lock is one of those "required items" that I could live without. It is almost totally transparent. It didn't have any impact on function but it could make field stripping a chore if the lock was in the "locked" mode. It's tamper prevention design makes it where you can't take the gun apart to "unlock" it without a key.

The magazine disconnect works way better than the silly P-345. This one actually disables the sear instead of blocking the firing pin. It does have one major issue that I hate. Ruger relocated the mag release from the grip butt to behind the trigger group, more like a 1911. This is a great feature except the mag disconnect drags on the magazine so when you push the release button, instead of "dropping free", the magazine has to be pulled out by hand.

Last is the magazine itself. The MK III mag has a notch that is used for the new mag release button. A MK II mag will not work in a MK III and in my guns, the MK III would not insert straight in a MK II. The notch caused the bullet noses to push off to the side and make feeding problems.

In all, the only real improvements are the mag release button and the MK III is drilled and tapped for the included scope base. The last few years of MK IIs had the D/T and the scope base, my older one did not.

Now for the "workarounds". I removed the mag disconnector and spring then replaced the MK III hammer with a MK II hammer. The mag release button works perfect now and totally free drops the magazine when you push the button. I replaced the MK III mainspring housing with a MK II mainspring housing and changed the thumb safety to a MK II also. So now, except for the LCI, I have a MK III without the disimprovements.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow--any advantage for the substitution of all of those mkII parts into your mkIII?

Glad to hear that the lci is not causing problems and the mag disconnect is of a better design.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,408 Posts
deputy125, Yes, Ruger modified the hammer in the MK III so the mag disconnect would fit. If you remove the mag disconnect, you need something .1" thick to fill the gap. I started out with washers as "gap fillers" but later found a new MK II hammer. The photo shows the MK III parts.

·
Banned
700 Posts
I ordered a MK III and had been waiting forever for it to arrive. I'm now knee deep in my 10 day limbo. Iowegan, your post gives me plenty to ponder. I'm like a kid in a candy store!
Thanks!

SD

·
Registered
304 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Iowegan

In all, the only real improvements are the mag release button and the MK III is drilled and tapped for the included scope base.
My standard model MKIII does not have the taps for the scope rail. It was manufactured April, 2007. I know the ones there with the bull barrels had them for sure because I looked at them and talked with the owner about it, but my standard model didn't.

I can't compare the MKII to the III simply because I've never owned or shot a MKII. I love my MKIII however. It's my favorite gun to shoot. :D

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have a MK II and MK III. The MK III features don't really effect me much. The LCI is mildly useful. The safety lock is useless. I don't think about it at all. The mag safety can be removed and I did. The only thing that really drove me crazy was the mag release. I couldn't reach it even with my large hands. I drilled and attached a 1911 mag release extension. Now it is fine.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Thanks for all the up dated infro on the MkIII. I have the old MkII.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Tres cool Iowgan! I just got my first 22/45 and love the thing. You guys are an amazing source of great info.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts