Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just the other day I read a post about how awesome the S&W model 41 22semi is and saw the $1300 price!! I was wondering is it really worth that kind of money?? Does the Ruger Mklll come close to it? If so which one?
I have a 22/45 (under$300) with a red dot and I like to think its a pretty damn good gun. I'm sure the smith might have a better trigger, but what else?? Is the smith worth $1300 or is it for the fan boys to say look what I got??
Btw I have several smith products and ruger products, I'm not picky just curious if the 41 is really that much better.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The model 41 is basically a "hand-fitted" mid-level competition pistol. Unlike the MKII/MKIII models, it is really only designed for standard velocity match ammo. That's not saying they won't function with other ammo, but the design is not as robust and it is quite possible to batter one with high-velocity ammo.

With all that said, as a general rule, your average Model 41 will be quite a bit more accurate than the average Target model MKII/III. When I looked into joining the local rimfire competition group at my range, every one of the multi-year competitors were shooting a Model 41, Hammerli or Walther. Their advice was that a MKII competition model was a great entry-level pistol, but if you really wanted to be competitive, the 41 was the class of the field.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
.22 competition

The model 41 is basically a "hand-fitted" mid-level competition pistol. Unlike the MKII/MKIII models, it is really only designed for standard velocity match ammo. That's not saying they won't function with other ammo, but the design is not as robust and it is quite possible to batter one with high-velocity ammo.

With all that said, as a general rule, your average Model 41 will be quite a bit more accurate than the average Target model MKII/III. When I looked into joining the local rimfire competition group at my range, every one of the multi-year competitors were shooting a Model 41, Hammerli or Walther. Their advice was that a MKII competition model was a great entry-level pistol, but if you really wanted to be competitive, the 41 was the class of the field.
Agree. BUT the Volquartsen Custom Comp pistols based on the Mk II and III, will shoot with any M41:)

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I own both . The 1970's S&W model 41 was used extensively when I competed in NRA Bullseye matches back then, from factory it was supposed to be the best.
Fast forward to the late 1990's. Much older and can no longer see iron sights , saw a Ruger MKII with a Millet Red Dot sight all set up for sale. Second hand in great shape, priced right . Bought it because seller said , no aiming required, put dot on target and shoot. Hmmmm...that sounded great.
Shooting the Ruger was magical, put the dot on target and bang it was hit dead center....I have never shot any gun as well.
Turns out the seller had sent it to Clark Custom Guns...they did a target trigger job and mounted the red dot ! WOW.
The S&W is jealous...it wishes it had a sweet trigger like the ruger. Now it stays at home the ruger gets all the range time and it is such a pleasure to shoot.
My advice is to get a Ruger then Have Clark Custom Guns work their magic on it !
Those people know what the're doing and you will not regret it.

Gary

·
Registered
32 Posts
Agree. BUT the Volquartsen Custom Comp pistols based on the Mk II and III, will shoot with any M41:)
Yep, but then you are getting into true customs and can easily exceed the 41's price point.

Funny thing is, as much as I've enjoyed shooting 41's, I just can't bring myself to spend the money on one. Now, if a good deal comes along on an older model, I'll happily jump on it, but I really like the versatility of the MKII competition models as, to be honest, I just can't justify a pure target-only pistol. My current MKIII sees range time and vermin removal duties that require (in my opinion) a stouter round than standard velocity.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
As mentioned, if you seriously plan to compete, you will need to move up to a 41 or similar class of gun once you reach an intermediate level in actual competition. At that point, the balance, finesse, trigger and so on of the 41 class of competition guns becomes a factor. It is definitely more than a fanboy thing.

We're talking about a tiny percentage of shooters and shooting, here, though. A Mark with a simple trigger mod will get you so close in terms of accuracy as to be negligible for other uses and will do it at a fraction of the price, not to mention getting you a more durable and versatile gun in the process.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Get a MK II Government target model and learn to shoot it. When you reach a point where the pistol is holding you back, its time to upgrade. Then, if you so desire, you can unload the MK II Gov't model for what you paid for it.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,680 Posts
I have a Ruger MK III Competition Model 6 7/8" barrel ... an excellent pistol that functions perfect and is not fussy about ammo. In fact it seems to be the most accurate with High Velocity CCI Mini-Mags but will shoot most any high velocity 22 LRs pretty decent. My eyesight sucks so I scoped the Ruger with a 2x pistol scope and found out how accurate it really was. From a bench rest, I can shoot 1/2" groups @ 25 yards .... pretty impressive .... that is until I break out my S&W Mod 41.

I have two barrels for my Mod 41 ... a 5 1/2" with adjustable irons and a 7" with a 2x scope. People just don't believe how accurate this gun is! As mentioned above, it seems to like Wolf Target Match ammo the best but also does extremely well with CCI Green Tag (both are standard velocity). I have tried it with high velocity ammo in various brands but none of it shoots as well as Wolf Target Match. If I do my part, 10 rounds in one slightly tattered hole is quite normal for 25 yards. At 50 yards, I can out shoot most 22 LR rifles with 1/2" groups. The trigger is exceptional ... 2 lb, no creep, just a surprise every time you squeeze it. The only negatives about a Mod 41 are the price and the fact that they shoot better with match grade ammo .... which is much more expensive.

Here's my Ruger Competition Model:

Here's my S&W Mod 41 (made in 1984) shown with a Millett 1" tube Red Dot. For off hand shooting, I do better with the Red Dot, however if I want to drive tacks from a bench rest, the Swift 2X scope is awesome.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info guys!! The 41 seems pretty awesome but unless your a competition shooter it seems the Ruger makes more sense.. For me anyways just hitting 25yd targets and empty Coke cans I would imagine that the Ruger is good enough.. Even with a cheapo Bushnell trs25 it's a blast to shoot it.. Haven't seen the need to upgrade yet..

·
Registered
143 Posts
I was in possession of my brother's S&W 41 for about a year and it was THE BEST gun in my safe for those months. At the range it was amazing. It definitely preferred standard velocity ammo. The trigger was . . . well, I'm still in awe of it.

I gave it back to my brother and proceeded to buy a Ruger 22/45 Lite. I am not a competitive shooter and so the 41 was / is too expensive for what I want from a rimfire pistol.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I had one when I shot bullseye in prep school and college. I found out the Ruger MKIs may not work in that realm but were very good. These days I have Ruger MkI, MkII, and MKIII pistols. Not sure why I would want to buy a new 41 although they are lovely pistols.

·
Registered
429 Posts
not sure if the s&w is worth the extra.
the marks are poor out of the box, but with time n money can be match quality.
i did the changes recommended here to my 22/45.
with my arms rested on a rain barrel, i can get 1'' groups at a measured 25 yards with wolf ammo.
that's match quality.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts