Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this Ruger TALO Navy SEALS Association has been sitting at my LGS for over two years, The consignee had the price at $1349.00.

I decided I would offer him $1100.00 because really, it's only a bit higher than a standard commander and it is much nicer looking in my opinion.

He took it, and I took it to the range today. She is fantastic and the trigger is very nice with a pretty crisp break. I would figure it's about 4.5 pounds on the trigger pull, with a nice wall and crisp break.

I gave my son who is in the Air Force a 1976 Ruger standard with the 6 7/8-inch target barrel and a 6-inch barrel.

Then gave him a Beretta 92A1 for his birthday this year.

I finally broke down and bought this seeing that I was trained by the SEALS in 1977 to be a Navy Rescue Swimmer. 11 out of 49 of us made it through.

I know it was a little on the expensive side and traditionally these don't go up a lot in value, but I had to have it since I was in the market for a Ruger Commander anyway.

I'm glad I did now.

Art Line Font Rectangle Red
Art Line Font Rectangle Red

·
Registered
Ruger Shooter
336 Posts
Nice commemorative purchase for your service recognition.

I served onboard the USS Midway assigned to HC-1 Det 2 which was eventually decommissioned and replaced by HS-12.

I remember the Rescue Swimmers, as enlisted men, were treated special, almost as good as the officers; and, they were a bit crazy, but I guess you had to be a little bit crazy if you're going to jump out of a helicopter into the freezing cold North Pacific to save a soul.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
So, this Ruger TALO Navy SEALS Association has been sitting at my LGS for over two years, The consignee had the price at $1349.00.

I decided I would offer him $1100.00 because really, it's only a bit higher than a standard commander and it is much nicer looking in my opinion.

He took it, and I took it to the range today. She is fantastic and the trigger is very nice with a pretty crisp break. I would figure it's about 4.5 pounds on the trigger pull, with a nice wall and crisp break.

I gave my son who is in the Air Force a 1976 Ruger standard with the 6 7/8-inch target barrel and a 6-inch barrel.

Then gave him a Beretta 92A1 for his birthday this year.

I finally broke down and bought this seeing that I was trained by the SEALS in 1977 to be a Navy Rescue Swimmer. 11 out of 49 of us made it through.

I know it was a little on the expensive side and traditionally these don't go up a lot in value, but I had to have it since I was in the market for a Ruger Commander anyway.

I'm glad I did now.

View attachment 174009 View attachment 174009
I like those Novak sights on that pistol. I got the Trijicon Novak-style rear sight for my G30SF, and they do make it easy to acquire a good sight picture.

By the way, I wish my dad had gotten me as many guns as you got for your son. He's a lucky guy.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice commemorative purchase for your service recognition.

I served onboard the USS Midway assigned to HC-1 Det 2 which was eventually decommissioned and replaced by HS-12.

I remember the Rescue Swimmers, as enlisted men, were treated special, almost as good as the officers; and, they were a bit crazy, but I guess you had to be a little bit crazy if you're going to jump out of a helicopter into the freezing cold North Atlantic to save a soul.
When I was done with the training I demonstrated a rescue to the captains of all of the ships in Yokosuka and our 7th Fleet Admiral Baldwin. There was an explosion of tiny jellyfish in the bay and when I was raised out of the drink, I was covered with them. They almost knocked me over the side when they hosed me off!

Back then they didn't send us to Aviation training or aircrew training.

I suppose it cost too much and really how hard is it to drop off from a helicopter, raise your hand to tell them you're okay swim to the downed pilot or civilian, bring them back, and go up on the nine line.

They just did things differently and expected you to adapt to the situation. Was that a good idea? Probably not but they were a little cheap in the training department. How were we to know then anyway. No internet lol.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I like those Novak sights on that pistol. I got the Trijicon Novak-style rear sight for my G30SF, and they do make it easy to acquire a good sight picture.

By the way, I wish my dad had gotten me as many guns as you got for your son. He's a lucky guy.
Thanks, my son is a great guy. I appreciate him serving his country like I did and I frankly didn't expect him to. When I went into the Navy my dad took my Ruger Standard 6 inch 22 and sold it.

Then he told me he couldn't find it for a long time. Then he finally admitted he sold it because he needed the money. I would have happily given him the money but he was too proud to ask for it.

I didn't do much with my money being on a ship and having three meals a day. Well I just banked the money and had some fun on liberty exploring Yokosuka, Japan and meeting the people.

Loved him anyway, we're all human.

I wanted my son to have the opposite experience like most fathers do.

My ship the USS Oklahoma City CG-5 was moored across the bay from the "Skidway". I don't know why they called it that. But I do remember when the ship left there were a lot of "Midway widows" out at the bars.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks, my son is a great guy. I appreciate him serving his country like I did and I frankly didn't expect him to. When I went into the Navy my dad took my Ruger Standard 6 inch 22 and sold it.

Then he told me he couldn't find it for a long time. Then he finally admitted he sold it because he needed the money. I would have happily given him the money but he was too proud to ask for it.

I didn't do much with my money being on a ship and having three meals a day. Well I just banked the money and had some fun on liberty exploring Yokosuka, Japan and meeting the people.

Loved him anyway, we're all human.

I wanted my son to have the opposite experience like most fathers do.

My ship the USS Oklahoma City CG-5 was moored across the bay from the "Skidway". I don't know why they called it that. But I do remember when the ship left there were a lot of "Midway widows" out at the bars.
Beautiful pistol. The Ruger commander has proven to me to be superior to the Ruger full size 5”.
Often the value of an item is In the eyes of the individual.
Giving your son what you wanted for yourself is a great thing that both parties can appreciate.
Thanks for your service in the Navy.
Anyone in or out of active duty who has been in danger of drowning can appreciate the idea of a ‘Rescue Swimmer’.
Again, congratulations on your purchase.
Money well spent!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree I like the commander over the full size.

I do have an Ed Brown Alpha Elite in a 5 inch though, but it is way superior to any production gun for sure. It is the pinnacle of 1911's.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The current administration, FBI, Attorney General all seem to think otherwise. You know every time the Democrats take over it's the same thing, you would think people would notice. How did Hiden Biden get elected. He hid and let the media campaign for him. They talk about Republicans hating when they are in fact the haters. Wake up America, Please.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
The commander is where it’s at! View attachment 174094
I didn't know the Night Watchman came in a commander version. When I bought my Night Watchman it was sitting right next to the Navy Seal model. The Navy Seal model did have a heftier price tag and I didn't see why it cost more other than the collector value.

I probably would have bought it too at that price you offered. Looks like a pretty good deal for what you got.

Reactions: Corndog

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
The Night Watchman is an outstanding looking 1911 commander if you ask me! I love that it comes with night sights.
Thx. It was a fluke. I was sitting on the bench thinking about an SR1911. I had a mil spec 1911 I really liked, but I traded it for a rifle years ago.

Anyway, I live about half an hour from Kygunco and they had a sale on all the SR1911s about 5 winters ago. I was bored, and that’s dangerous. I drove over and they had them all.

Nightwatchmans, lightweights, silver ones too. Commanders and 5 inches too. All on sale. I was beside myself and had a pocket full of cash. It was like picking out a favorite son. I finally picked the commander.

It is around my 12th Ruger purchase and the workmanship is flawless. Inside and out. I have friends with much more expensive 1911s that are only slightly nicer than my blue-collar Ruger.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thx. It was a fluke. I was sitting on the bench thinking about an SR1911. I had a mil spec 1911 I really liked, but I traded it for a rifle years ago.

Anyway, I live about half an hour from Kygunco and they had a sale on all the SR1911s about 5 winters ago. I was bored, and that’s dangerous. I drove over and they had them all.

Nightwatchmans, lightweights, silver ones too. Commanders and 5 inches too. All on sale. I was beside myself and had a pocket full of cash. It was like picking out a favorite son. I finally picked the commander.

It is around my 12th Ruger purchase and the workmanship is flawless. Inside and out. I have friends with much more expensive 1911s that are only slightly nicer than my blue-collar Ruger.
I have an SDS or Tisas milspec 1911A1 to fill in for the one I carried while carrying classified documents from CINCPACFLT to JICPAC. I don't want to spend thousands on one and Tisas does an amazing job. The 1911's are forged slides and frames. The barrels are hammer formed. They are really quite accurate and fun to shoot.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I have an SDS or Tisas milspec 1911A1 to fill in for the one I carried while carrying classified documents from CINCPACFLT to JICPAC. I don't want to spend thousands on one and Tisas does an amazing job. The 1911's are forged slides and frames. The barrels are hammer formed. They are really quite accurate and fun to shoot.
Tisa are nice guns for the money. I was at Kygunco last week, yes I have a problem, and they had them on sale for $320. I almost weakened. I don’t really buy duplicates of a design though. I like a bunch of different ones in my safe.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tisa are nice guns for the money. I was at Kygunco last week, yes I have a problem, and they had them on sale for $320. I almost weakened. I don’t really buy duplicates of a design though. I like a bunch of different ones in my safe.
I have three beretta 92FS's lol. One INOX, one M9 and now one Centurion 96. I don't buy duplicates either...lol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts