Ruger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi i've always been told by several diffrent people that ruger firearms can handle any factory ammo you can buy. I'm tired of shooting the ''cowboy loads'' for my new vaquero in .45 colt. So I've been looking around for different kinds of ammo and I saw cabelas had buffalo bore ammo and it said that it can only be fired out of ruger, a few heavy duty colts and a couple other firearms. Well I almost bought it but I investigated further online and I've heard both trains of thought, that the new vaquero will fire +p and ammo without a problem (excluding obvious increased wear) and that it will not, and you shouldn't any ammo more powerful than average ammo. Looking at the gun I have a hard time believing it can't handle extra pressure comparing the cylinder to the colt clone I have the ruger is much beefier. If it did fail I would think it would be internally due to the recoil but I'm not an expert so I was hoping you guys could let me know one way or another. THANK YOU

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Welcome from Australia. Great place to be, you will like it here.
Can't help you with that one.
I also would be interested to know what shoots well out of that gun.
Just bought the Bisley Vaquero in .45 Colt.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Well you don't have to believe me but you should heed the warning from Buffalo Bore themselves .
Home » Handgun Ammunition» Heavy .45 Colt +P
Product Details View Larger Image Heavy 45 Colt +P Pistol and Handgun Ammo
Heavy .45 Colt +P - 325 gr. L.B.T.-L.F.N.(1,325fps/M.E.1,267 ft.lbs.) - 50 Round Box

These Heavy .45 Colt +P loads are safe in all LARGE FRAME Ruger revolvers.
(includes Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk, all pre-2005 Vaquero, Bisley, Redhawk)
These Heavy .45 Colt +P loads are NOT intended for the New Model Vaquero (small frame).

In short the NEW Vaquero can handle hotter than cowboy loads--but it is not designed for really hot +p stuff. Anything that you would put through a Colt SAA including all standard pressure loads are just fine. If you NEED to shoot the magnumized .45 Colt loads then you need to buy a Blackhawk or OLD Model Vaquero.

If you want some hotter than cowboy loads for defense then try these Standard Pressure defense loads from Buffalo Bore 45 Colt ANTI-PERSONNEL Std. Pressure Low Flash Pistol & Handgun Ammunition

I also like Hornady's Critical Defense and their Leverevolution lines in .45 Colt.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
It has always been my opinion that Ruger commited a very grand faux pas when they discontinued the Vaquero to favor the SASS/CASS crowd with the "New Vaquero" Colt Clone that is lighter and has less strength than the Vaquero.
I recently learned that Ruger has dropped the word "new" in that line and simply calls the light farmed revolver the Vaquero. Which to my way of thinking is another mistake as that may cause confusion and could cause a possable accident. Something the firearms world can ill afford. I know it's about the "bottom line" and do not falut Ruger for thinking like that However I simply do not see the sense in dropping the Vaquero from their production line in favor of those that prefer to shoot "mouse farts."
From the New Vaquero they have now come out with the Montero a shorter barreled version for mounted competition and those people who compete in those matches do not even fire live ammo only blanks---- What's next? Cap guns by Ruger?

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
My favorite load is 6.5 grains of Red Dot with a Hornady 255 grain swaged bullet. Around 825 FPS, pretty much a standard load for the old Colt. 8 grains of Unique will do the same thing. Overloading the Colt round is a stunt, IMO, but if you're into shooting mastodons, the older Ruger is the way to go. The new ones on the smaller frame aren't recommended for such loads.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for the info. I just wanted to try it for the novelty I guess. I'm glad I asked though because cabelas website said it was safe in ruger pistols. it wasn't until I read the comments that made me investigate further my cousin has an old vaquero so I'll just talk him into buying some

1 - 6 of 6 Posts