Ruger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I got my new New Vaquero a few days ago. I am new to guns so please bear with me. I removed the cylinder for basic cleaning, put it back together, and wanted to check if it's functioning properly (as it says in the manual). So I performed all the steps listed in the manual but when I tried to open the loading gate when the hammer is cocked, it released the hammer. It took about the same force as actually opening the loading gate (it's still a bit stiff). It's supposed to not be possible to open the loading gate when the hammer is cocked, which it didn't, but I didn't expect it to act as if I had pulled the trigger.

My guess is that as the loading gate pivot stud turns towards the transfer bar as I open the loading gate, it contacts the transfer bar and slightly lifts it upwards, which has the same effect as pulling the trigger. My first guess was that the cylinder latch contacts the trigger a little bit as it moves downwards and the little friction between the cylinder latch and trigger causes the trigger to release the hammer.

It is the Illinois Bicentennial edition of New Vaquero, which, as I understand it, comes with a light trigger spring. And it is indeed a very light trigger. Has anyone had this happened to them? I think this might be just the consequence of having a light trigger spring. But I really like this trigger so I don't think I will be replacing it. I am just curious to see if someone with light trigger spring noticed this as well or if there is anything that can be done about this.

Thank you,
pejsek

·
Registered
299 Posts
^^^^^
He indicated that trying to open the loading gate with the hammer cocked is a check recommended by Ruger. Since I don't have the correct manual, I can't verify/refute that part.
Either way, that doesn't explain how/why opening the loading gate trips the hammer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a recent NV, haven't run the manual checks since I first got it a few months ago but I just finished cleaning it so I tried to open the gate with the hammer back. The gate will only open about a quarter of the way and it does not drop the hammer.

I don't know what a lighter trigger would be like, but I can't see how the factory trigger in my NV could be improved.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I know the Wiley Clapp guns had an improved action, but I think the special edition guns are stock mechanically. No special trigger. The Illinois gun was a run of 500 in 2018. Did you luck out and find a new one, or buy it used? If used it may have had an action job between new and you, or you just got lucky with your trigger.
FWIW, the only SAs I have are Bearcats, and the loading gate has no effect on the hammer, or vice-versa.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. It definitely feels like a light trigger even though I don't have the trigger pull gauge or any other SA revolver for comparison. Yes, it is in the manual on page 22 here:

I am still in the process of figuring it out and will post results here if I decide to do something about it. Just be warned that opening the loading gate with hammer cocked might release the hammer and fire the gun so I wouldn't try that with a loaded cylinder. But don't try too hard to open it because it can damage the transfer bar or the loading gate pivot stud's surface that contacts the transfer bar.

·
Registered
299 Posts
^^^^^

Thanks for the update.
Yep, the procedure you described is on page 22 of the manual in the link, and the copyright date is 2022 so this should be the latest info.
Interesting that the Manual is titled Vaquero and not New Vaquero.
Ruger enjoys confusing their customers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts