Ruger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Ruger 1911 Nightwatchman Commander. Approx. every 4th or 5th round fired, the slide does not go back into full battery. It stops about 1/2" or less short. I can push it lightly with my hand to correct. Is this an indication of too light or too heavy a recoil spring?
Thanks!

·
Registered
869 Posts
Sounds Like It Is Too Light.

This is a section of an article at Guns America.com, it seems that shortening the 1911 can be a tricky business.
"The SR1911CMD has a stainless steel frame, so it’s only slightly lighter than the full-size SR1911, but that ¾-inch less length makes a big difference to a lot of smaller-framed shooters in how the gun carries and handles. If there are criticisms of smaller 1911s, it’s that the smaller they get the harder it is to make them function reliably, and as the barrel gets shorter you give up some bullet velocity and some sight radius, which can make aiming more difficult."
Ruger 1911 Commander ? SR1911CMD ? New Gun Review
It may be the recoil spring, which should be rated at 18 pounds. You may need to try a 20 pound spring, and see if that helps. If you do, here is one at Midway.com
Wolff Recoil Spring 1911 Commander
Ruger1911CMD-spring.jpg
The long spring is the regular 1911 and the short one is for a Commander.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts