Ruger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for someone who can professionally convert a Ruger No.1 to 22LR.
Back in the 1980's there was a gunsmith in Pennsylvania named Richard Korzinek who rebarreled No. 1's in almost every caliber imaginable but specialized in 22LR and 22WMR. He built me a N0.1 in 22LR from a 7x57 RSI. The barrel rib, rings, receiver, lever were all color cased as well as the fore end cap. His work was meticulous and beautiful! This was in the 1980's and regrettably I sold the rifle.

Is there anyone out there that does these conversions now. If I ma correct Mr. Koriznek took the breech block and welded the firing pin hole in the breech block and then remachined it and fitted a proper rimfire pin. Other gunsmiths simply shortened the linkage to lower the breech block where the original firing pin would simply strike the case rim on the lower edge or the rim. That was NOT a reliable way to do this. Koriznek machined the block with a new chisel shaped rimfire pin and it struck the UPPER edge of the rimfire case. When the breech block was closed it was in the position that Ruger designed itand not in a lower position and thus effecting the locking and the geometry. Further Mr. Koriznek rebarreled the rifle with Kreiger, Shilen or Lilja barrels. In the case of my 7x57 he relined the barrel with a Shilen liner as to keep the original lines of the Mannlicher stock and barrel.

If there is anyone out there today that does this kind of work I would certainly like to find them as I have some work for them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There is a gunsmith in N. Manchester, In that does a .22 conversion on Ruger #1 rifles. His name is Mark Penrod. Now the bad news. I stopped by to see him a week ago and he told me he was covered up with work. He had boxed rifles sitting all over to be worked on or built. He said this is the 1st time he has had to tell customers to take their work to someone else. I do have his phone # 260-982-8385. He may be able to help you down the road a bit.
Have a great day.
Jim

·
Super Moderator
4,553 Posts
I will second Mark Penrod. Great guy and does great work. He did my custom #1 in .257 weatherby
and I know he has done .22 or conversations. Here are some pics of one he shared with me when we were emailing back and forth about 6 months ago.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was considering having Mark convert my Ruger 1s to a .22 for a while, but decided I don't need another shooting discipline at my age. The .22 bench rest game with falling and rolling blocks would be fun but take some time I don't have. I will use my #1 in .45-70 to hunt with. I can always shoot steel with my lever guns.
Have a great day.
Jim

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you are in a hurry for a falling block rimfire and can have it in a different pattern, I would recommend looking at the Winchester 1885 Low Wall .22lr. I have one and absolutely love shooting it.

Jayman

·
Registered
155 Posts
I wanted a #1 in 22lr for years, never found one for sale. I bought an 1885 Browning in 22 Hornet, liked the fit of the rifle. I then found three Winchester 1885s in 17HMR, 22lr and 22 Magnum. All are more accurate than I am, fun to shoot. I won't get rid of my #1s, the Winchesters are for rimfire, the #1s centerfire. Variety is something or other....
FM

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had always hoped Ruger would put a 22LR #1 into regular production; it seems there would be enough demand. In recent months I had toyed with the idea of buying a Browning/Winchester 1885, but they don't seem to be available new right now either. Hopefully they'll return to production at some point when the world becomes more normal...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts