Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a new Ruger No.1 243. Can anyone tell me their experience with what bullet weights will shoot well with the 7.7 twist (specifically the lighter bullets)?
thanks...

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
With the 1:7.7 twist you need to go with VLD’s over 100grs. That twist is designed for using long bullets, the 115’s should shoot well with some load development. I think they went over board on the twist, I can see using it in an RPR but not a #1.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
220swiffen, I'd go with the 100grn and work your way up if possible, BTW I also have the Ruger #1 RSI but it has 1/10, I was unaware that they even made a .243 with such a fast twist, as it is very accurate with just using 60-70grn projectiles as well, however with that fast a twist a much heavier/longer. bullet is necessitated

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
I was unaware that they even made a .243 with such a fast twist,
Loose Noose, I’m about 99% positive when Ruger chambered the RPR in .243 it had the 1:7.7 twist, which I get for a Precision Rifle, but for the #1 and your RSI 1:10 is all that’s needed. Schilen barrels recommends VLD type bullets over 100grs for a 1:7 and 1:8 twist in .243.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts