Ruger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I just bought a used Ruger 1 in .45-70 Gov't. at my local gun shop. Serial Number check shows shipped in 180. I have always liked the No 1's workmanship and looks and am very pleased with my purchase. I am new to the Ruger Forum and have a question. The rifle I purchased has a ported barrel. Did Ruger ever port barrels if requested by a buyer or do you think it was ported after market?

·
Super Moderator
5,081 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, Ruger never ported the #1 with the exception of the .450 bushmaster which has a threaded on muzzle brake. One never says never with Ruger, but 95% likely it was aftermarket.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Barrel porting used to be a big thing in the 80's. Never knew first hand how well it worked. Would love to hear from guys that have had hands on experiance with that.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Your asking for "blowback." Sorry...came to mind...yes, J, was once a thing...for mfgrs and Smitha.

But just be next to a fired ported gun and feel it. And, that is it...Or, if military. be too close to armored (tank) gun or firing .50...Nevermore....and when older and deef. be told "No!"

Ported shooter should warn others....IMO!!!!!!

Reactions: Bob Lewis

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have had to change shooting benches when one other member showed up and always
set up next to me. His ported 308 was pretty loud to me, he always gave me a funny
look as I packed my stuff to move.
FM

·
Registered
43 Posts
Flyn... make perfect sense to me...

Some people are so clueless...reminded me of time a buddy brought along his ,50 rifle and wondered why we other buds went home...god the concussion is enough to curl hair, add porting...duh,,,

·
Registered
12 Posts
To get back to [B]niemi.donald51[/B]'s original question; I'd have to ask, what do the ports look like? "Mag-Na-Port" had a special design to their porting, I've had them do 2 of my Contender barrels, and the barrel of my .338 Win Mag #1. Can you post a picture of the barrel porting?
The reason for barrel porting, is now as it has been, to reduce recoil and muzzle "jump". As has been , so well put, there are drawbacks, when at the range. {The worst I've experienced was spotting for a friend, when he fired his .221 Rem Fireball XP100. Next shot I moved back a few feet..}

1 - 8 of 8 Posts