Ruger Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad has a Ruger No. 3 in .22 Hornet...and he doesn't do the internet. Which leaves me as his surrogate "researcher". While he is a long time shooter with much firearm information packed in his head, more than I'll ever have, he has not encountered this issue...and he is not a gunsmith.

He recently decided to change the barrel which brings up several issues/questions. He found a Ruger barrel chambered in the 22-3000 Lovell (R2) and wants to use it.

1 - Will the .22 Hornet extractor work on the Lovell? Does it need modification or replacement...with what?

2 - How to we headspace/register the barrel/chamber and maintain the extractor groove placement?

3 - I have encouraged going with a Ruger .223 barrel instead (popularity/resale). If so, same issues #1 & #2.

4 - If not a Ruger .223 barrel, who's .223 barrel? And what gunsmith?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Tom

·
Brian B.
5 Posts
If your father just wants more power and he handloads, you could save yourself $$$ by having the gun reamed out to .22K hornet, which makes it a fun gun without the expense of barrel change, drilling and tapping, etc. But then you need to handload, which i do. But you would have to buy a die set.

If you just want a .223, you can buy one for less than the cost of the gunsmithing LOL. Of course, if it is a home project that is not an issue. I have a Ruger #1V heavy barrel that shoots .5" at 1oo yds with the lighter weight bullets. Once you get into the 55 gr bullets and higher, the groups on both my Hornet and 223 open up a lot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts