Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions for a scope for my No. 3? It's chambered in .38-55 and it has a 28-29" bull barrel. I won't be carrying it but shooting it off a bench. Probably some brand of 3X9 zoom. I just don't want some monster on top of my rifle.

Thanks.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have a few of the Nikon Prostaff scopes and it's a really good scope for the money.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
I don't know the ballistics of the .38-55. I would take a look at the longest shot you are likely to place and select a scope that can accomplish that. Leupold or Nikon are always a good choice.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I do have the Nikon and the Leupold models. I just assumed that they might be too bulky on my model.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some friends were telling me I'm going to have some limitations. Because there are not scope rings and bases by Ruger, who do I use for a base? Weaver or anybody else?

·
Registered
243 Posts
First of all, your friends are wrong. Ruger made lots of base sets for the No. 3; it shouldn't be too hard to find a set via the internet, a gun show, or good gun shop that has used/older stuff.

But more importantly, your rifle has a custom aftermarket barrel, so it's probably a moot point unless it was D&T for the OEM Ruger bases. Why anyone would do that on a 38-55 bull barrel is beyond me, but stranger things have happened I suppose.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you very much gewehr. So now I can look around to see what I can fund.
I think there D&T holes on top of the barrel. Haven't measured them yet.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the roadway has been decided. I measured the two sets of holes in the back. Each pair are 1/2 " apart. And the 2 pairs are 3" apart. Turns out the easiest way is a Weaver top mount base. The rear base is the 48085 model. but it turns out that I have my choice of rings. One a Leupold ring another was a Warne. I heard good things about both. I'll probably get a Leupold VxIII or a Nikon Prostaff. Probably a 3x9 or 10 with a 40mm.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well here is the most recent news. I already have a Leupold and a few Nikons. I saw a good deal on a Vortex. On optics planet, I found this one for $329.00. I think this will be a good toy to play with especially as I age.

Vortex Optics Viper HS 4-16x44 Riflescope w/ V-Plex Reticle, VHS-4304. I think I'll be happy. I know I may not have enough elevation to shoot 400-500 yards with the .38-55 cart. But I have a T/C in .223 with a 24" barrel. which would make a good varmint gun. It has a 3x9 Prostaff on it. I may switch the scopes.

John

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Put a 2x7 om the Ruger 3? How much different is a 3x9 from a 2x7?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Maybe a fixed power long and lean, lol Weaver K10

I think the long slender look and's well to the simple-ness of the Ruger #3. Even-though it's vintage; I'm able to shoot 100yard 1/2 moa groups pretty easy. Well enough to poke varmints and make a good showing at my local GunClub on steel silhouette's or BR games.

·
Registered
27 Posts
drjjpdc,
as far as scopes. and bases. how far do you want to shoot that 38-55. they have a rather rainbow trajectory as compared to, say, a 30-378. EGW makes picatinny bases with 0, 20minute, or 40 minute cant built in. also look at the scopes you're interested in for MOA or MIL of elevation adjustment travel. for 100 to 200 yard shooing, you probably can get by with a 0 MOA/MIL base and just use the internal adjustment range of the scope. if you plan on shooting the 38-55 at, say, 600 to 1000 yards, you'll need a base with built in down cant of some amount (depending upon range). and look see how much elevation range is in the scope you want. the little Leupold 4x33 has (surprising) 80 MOA of elevation range. i think the leupold 16x40 Mk4 had 120 MOA of elevation range.

figure out what your trajectory is going to be, the range you would like to shoot at with it and use a ballistic calculator (both hornady and berger have one on their websites) and see how much elevation adjustment range you're going to need with that rifle. then figure out if the scope itself has enough, or if you also need a base with a built in cant.
good luck. have fun
-tdbru

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you, guys. We're having another massive heat wave with temps into 100 degrees, so I ain't leaving the house any time soon. I'll let you know when everything is decided.

John

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thank you, guys. We're having another massive heat wave with temps into 100 degrees, so I ain't leaving the house any time soon. I'll let you know when everything is decided.

John

From one Jersey boy to another, you need enough magnification to see your target (bullet holes) at the distance you are shooting. Yea, thats pretty simple. The 38-55 was Mr. Popes fave for targets and he shot some pretty fantastic targets with it.

I can understand your wanting to keep that pretty gun as svelt as it is but good glass to shoot good with may trump looks....

JMHO

·
Registered
92 Posts
drjjpdc:

Sent you a PM.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts