Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

New to the forum and excited to join. Anyone I bought my first Ruger to carry as a pocket pistol. Bought the .380 LCP with the flag finish. Anyway, got it home a few weeks ago and did a thorough cleaning. Took it to the range and attempted to get through 50 rounds. I tried Federal, Federal American Eagle, CCI Blazer and every single mag let me fire off two and then a jam. Did this over and over again. Not projecting the shells and a few put into the chamber. Called Ruger and of course they said to send it to them.

Waited a week and got it back today. They replaced the slide and barrel and according to Ruger they shot it 48 times with no issue. Hard to believe! Back to the range today with the old ammo I used the first time and 3 new boxes. I also added two more new magazines. Guess what BINGO happened all over again. First 5 rounds no issue, then after that every second round would jam.

I'll be calling Ruger again tomorrow but this thing is either a lemon or pure junk. I can't risk carrying this thing knowing it may jam every time. Any other ideas? Will Ruger just replace it at this point?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Describe the jams. Is it failing to extract the spent shell from the chamber? Stovepipe of an empty case? Or not feeding the next round?

You may have a lemon, but I’m of the opinion all the LCP variants are junk.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Describe the jams. Is it failing to extract the spent shell from the chamber? Stovepipe of an empty case? Or not feeding the next round?
A few issues...most of the time after a round goes off the slide will stay open. When I look in the chamber the shell is still in there and preventing the next to loan. Other times the casing will be side ways in there while the next one is trying to load. A few times the casing is stuck into the entrance of the barrel.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Don't know if this may help your problem, but when I first get a new magazine, I fill it and empty it by hand a few times to sort of loosen it up. I started doing this after a new Security 9 stovepiped a few times on the first few rounds. After loading and manually unloading a few time I no longer have the same problem. Maybe it helps, it seems to for me at least.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Sounds like you have a bad extractor or weak extractor spring. You could remove the extractor and stretch the spring a little to see if it solves your problem. Also make sure your extractor hook is not damaged or gunked up.

Edit: Also if loading a +1 (full magazine and one in the chamber) load from the magazine and then top it off, don’t put one in the chamber and send the slide home.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I watched closely firing it and my hand, thumbs, etc. are no where near the slide. It's so frustrating and not sure I believe Ruger shot this 48 times with no issue. I had someone else at the range try it and same issue. Got through the first two rounds and bingo a jam happened.

Im wondering if it has anything to do with the painted flag on the slide. Sounds silly but wonder if it's heating up or something. Seems like the hotter it gets the worse it gets.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I don't know your experience or skill level but those 'lil Else Peas are a handful, so to speak. You might be limp wristing that 'lil ole gun. Have someone with wxperience to shoot it and see. I have 2 myself and love the compact size and fortunately nary a failure.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Try another magazine and different ammo.

·
Corps Commander NGV
5,434 Posts
Have you let another shooter try it? Lightweight polymer pistols have little mass and rely on a firm grip to anchor the pistol. Any movement will inhibit function as the slide will not cycle completely. Pocket .380's are difficult to shoot as there is little to hang onto and they require a strong grip.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have you let another shooter try it? Lightweight polymer pistols have little mass and rely on a firm grip to anchor the pistol. Any movement will inhibit function as the slide will not cycle completely. Pocket .380's are difficult to shoot as there is little to hang onto and they require a strong grip.
Yes the Range Officer. Same issue...I will call Ruger and hopefully theyll issue a refund and I can look for a more reliable pocket carry

·
Registered
445 Posts
"Im wondering if it has anything to do with the painted flag on the slide. Sounds silly but wonder if it's heating up or something. Seems like the hotter it gets the worse it gets."

sounds silly because it is.....the hotter it gets.....sounds like a lack of lubrication

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I guarantee there are more cycle problems for pockets pistols. Sharper feed angles and less to hold on to. I'm sure its just me but I don't see the attraction. I carry every day all day w an SP101 or a midsized 9mm Canik its accurate has capacity and cycles every time.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Personally I don’t see this as an extractor issue. During normal fire, the extractor plays no part in pulling a spent round out of chamber. The slide is pushed back due the empty shell being expelled from the chamber. The extractor is simply along for the ride until it reaches the end of the ride. At best it will work with ejector to better direct the spent shell out of the gun.

Sounds to me that either the recoil spring(s) are too stiff or there is energy lost by insufficient grip pressure.

When you call Ruger ask what ammo they used to test with.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts