Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Limp-wristing is a problem with shooters new to semi-auto's especicially small ones. I have a KelTec PF9 that I hadn't shot for about a year, and I had to spend a half hour retraining my self to hold on to it. I took one of my son-in-laws out to the range and he couldn't shoot my Beretta 92 without having the same problem you are. I thought he was limp-wristing, but hesitated to tell him that. The next time we went out I told him to hold on tightly and don't let the muzzle rise - he had no problems. How do you tell a guy that's 6'8", 300 lbs ,and can pick up boulders the size of my torso, that he's limp-wristing. Don't take this as an insult to your manhhod, it is a common occurance. Practice, hold on tight, and don't let the muzzle rise, you'll develop the technique quickly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You said you thoroughly cleaned your pistol so this probably doesn't apply. But I'll relate an experience a friend had that was similar in regards to FTE issues with his new Kahr 9mm. After a very frustrating session where the pistol jammed with 3 different shooters, a nearby shooter at the range came over and recommended a shot of Ballistol in the chamber. After that the pistol started functioning flawlessly. The thought was there was gummy factory lubricant residue in the chamber.

·
Registered
215 Posts
But then why would it work 48 times for Ruger?
Beats me, I sent my LCP II back and forth to Ruger several times and the most I got out of it was 358 rds before it started malfunctioning. Mine acted like this, rounds staying in the chamber, then shortly thereafter the extractor flew out of the gun. No I wasn’t limp wristing.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I have to say I have fired full size 1911's down to both the LCP and the LCPII. I have NEVER experienced limpwristing. I have seen it happen twice, but both with a full size gun.

I do not use a "death grip" at any time when I shoot, though I have a pretty good grip in any case. In fact, I tend to relax my strong hand as much as possible, and again, have never experienced this.

I believe the issue is in the term. It is not limp wrists but limp shoulders that cause a gun to not harness the energy of recoil to properly cycle the gun. You don't need to have a firm grip. You need to have a firm base to hold the frame of the gun in place. Lean into your grip, however relaxed, and "limp wristing" goes away.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Ok so after a thorough cleaning, new ammo and had the guy at the store/range that specializes in these guns shoot it. Failed again. This time it was worse, one round fired and then nothing but jamming. So now it’s been 3 shooters, 7 different ammos and multi magazines and this thing is straight garbage. I hear everyone on rugers great customer service but I think they lied in this one. No way they fired this 48 times with no issues. Let’s see what they say if they ever pick up the phone. Tried 3 times today and they never pick up

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Wow, sorry for your problems. It’s sort of amazing that a range specializes in L(ong) C(rappy) P(pull’s) as my friends call the LCP. You should have bought a better firearm for your first Ruger purchase. Buying about the worst firearm they make can be a bad experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Wow, sorry for your problems. It’s sort of amazing that a range specializes in L(ong) C(rappy) P(pull’s) as my friends call the LCP. You should have bought a better firearm for your first Ruger purchase. Buying about the worst firearm they make can be a bad experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the range is in the gun store. The guys who sells .22 and .380 is the one who shot it and is very familiar with the gun.

·
Registered
653 Posts
First of all welcome to the forum. Number 2 small ultra compact pistols are the hardest to shoot without issues. 380 being a blow back operation pistol which require a better and firmer grip and weak wristing is a common issue. Even myself I won't use them for concealment as they take a great deal of work to function properly and they don't fit my hands well enough to justify them. Third is ammo....ammo which is part of the key ingredient to a properly function pistol! The need to find the right ammo in your particular gun is very important as you found out many ammo doesn't do well.Get those 2 things fixed then you are on your way to shooting enjoyment.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
But then why would it work 48 times for Ruger?
My brother sent his new sp101 22lr back to Ruger because cylinder jam,pulled trigger jammed in pulled position. Had to lower hammer on unfired round,push trigger forward and turn locked up cylinder at the same time. Returned after 2 to 3 weeks,claimed they ran 50 rounds through it and all was well. His first cylinder of ammo locked up like before,back to Ruger a second time. Once it was unloaded it dry fired as if nothing was wrong

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a Taurus back in the '90s that was a POS!! It would do the same thing yours is doing. I sent it back and every time it was returned Taurus fixed some problem maybe the slide/barrel and some other thing I cant remember and said it worked great. Well, it didn't! I think it went back 3-4 times. The last time I got it back I never fired it, I sold it. to this day I won't buy Taurus stuff. So...get it fixed and sell it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Ok folks here’s the update. Finally spoke to Ruger and it looks like they will be replacing this or issuing a refund. They did ask that I try one more time which I did and same issue. What’s strange about today is that all the empty casings are starting to go down the barrel. So not only are they not extracting, they are actually going into the barrel. So strange....

off it goes back to Ruger. I’ve spent $185 on ammo and mags to try snd get this garbage running. Im gonna give them a chance to make it right. If the next one fires fine then yahoo! If not Ruger won’t be anywhere in my safe.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm dealing with a junk LCP as well. When I get it back from Ruger this time I'll sell it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi everyone!

New to the forum and excited to join. Anyone I bought my first Ruger to carry as a pocket pistol. Bought the .380 LCP with the flag finish. Anyway, got it home a few weeks ago and did a thorough cleaning. Took it to the range and attempted to get through 50 rounds. I tried Federal, Federal American Eagle, CCI Blazer and every single mag let me fire off two and then a jam. Did this over and over again. Not projecting the shells and a few put into the chamber. Called Ruger and of course they said to send it to them.

Waited a week and got it back today. They replaced the slide and barrel and according to Ruger they shot it 48 times with no issue. Hard to believe! Back to the range today with the old ammo I used the first time and 3 new boxes. I also added two more new magazines. Guess what BINGO happened all over again. First 5 rounds no issue, then after that every second round would jam.

I'll be calling Ruger again tomorrow but this thing is either a lemon or pure junk. I can't risk carrying this thing knowing it may jam every time. Any other ideas? Will Ruger just replace it at this point?
I agree with some of the other posters. most likely either your grip is not firm enough and/or there is an extractor issue. Another possibility is a rough chamber that is not releasing the brass. Look at the spent brass for witness marks.
Try a firmer grip, and inspect the extractor and inspect the chamber.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Here's my two cents.
I have one LCP and two LCP II. All function with no problems. I do have a Bersa Thunder that gave me grief with thick rimmed 380 ammo (not all ammo is created equal). A new extractor fixed that so see if your ammo is fitting OK under the extractor. If not, call Ruger tell 'em you want a new extractor.
So lets talk about grip
  • If you have big hands you maybe dragging on the slide or even the slide lock.
  • Let somebody else shoot it. If they're OK, again check your grip.
  • Borrow somebody's LCP that has no problems and see if you have problems with theirs.
Past that change ammo and make sure it's a U.S. manufacturer. That way if it malfunctions again Ruger can't balme the ammo. Then hassle Ruger until they make it right.

Good Luck

·
Registered
58 Posts
With multiple shooters firing I doubt limp wristing. I had to send a rifle back to Ruger once and the reply for what they did to fix it was absolutely worthless. Take a refund and buy something else. I don't like the sell it as soon as you get it. Don't screw your fellow gun owners. The poster that said find the right ammo I can't agree with. It takes .380 therefore it should take any brand. Some guns are just duds. I have one .380, a S&W Bodyguard, terrible to shoot, trigger pull off the scale, but always cycles with anything I put in it. The other issue is break in. I don't believe in that. It should work right out of the box. Foreign ammo, American ammo, all should work. Getting .380 nowadays is an expensive chore anyhow.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts