Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got my Ruger Old Model Blackhawk back after being stolen some 16 years ago. The only problem was when I went to retrieve my pistol the cylinder was missing and they could not find it any where in the evidence holding room. After a long search at gun shows and online I finally found one. The cylinder is in really nice condition, fits my pistol well and lines up with the bore of the barrel nicely. On the front of the cylinder is the letter S. I was told that the letter on the front of the cylinder applies to certain serial numbers of the pistol it was manufactured for. I want to make sure that this cylinder is indeed for my pistol before I fire it. Can any of the members give me any advice on my concerns? Thanks, gbob

·
Registered
767 Posts
I sent my old model 45 back for a badly needed rebuild, and clearly wrote on the work order and hang tag I enclosed exactly what I wanted with DO NOT CONVERT TO TRANSFER BAR SYSTEM. No problem except for the nanny roll stamp on the new barrel.

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
gbob,

Welcome to the forum.

You need not be concerned with shooting it. You've confirmed that it will shoot fine in your gun.

Just FYI: if the rear face of the cylinder has a firing pin groove, it's the correct old model cylinder for your gun. If no groove, it's a new model cylinder. However, this does not matter in the least with regard to the safety or using it in your old model.

The S on the cylinder is a proof mark and it's existence or location on cylinders varies with the vintage. It's not important to the safety of using the cyl in your gun.

Jim

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
I sent my old model 45 back for a badly needed rebuild, and clearly wrote on the work order and hang tag I enclosed exactly what I wanted with DO NOT CONVERT TO TRANSFER BAR SYSTEM. No problem except for the nanny roll stamp on the new barrel.
And they actually did the work without performing the "safety conversion"?

:confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hello,
I guess I should have introduced myself since joining. I am and avid shooter, hunter and reloader and own two Old Model Blackhawks in 41 Mag and 45 Colt. I called Ruger service and she said that they could make a new cylinder and fit it $$$ but, would not guaranty that it would not be converted. NO WAY! She said that there should be three numbers on the face of the cylinder which is suppose to match the last three serial numbers for the pistol that it was made for. The cylinder that I obtained does not have the last three digits of a serial number on it front or back. It does however have the recess for the firing pin grove on the chamber end. After I installed the cylinder and cocking it, I looked down the barrel (UNLOADED) and the chamber appears to be in perfect alignment with the bore of the barrel. That being said .01 of and inch is not visible to the naked eye and would hate to hurt my long lost friend. Hondo I haven't tried to fire the pistol yet. Do you think after what I have said in this post that the pistol is safe to fire? I could load up a soft load with a lead bullet and see if I get any lead spray out the side of the cylinder. Did Ruger offer the Blackhawk Old Models in a 45 Colt/45ACP convertible? Thanks again to all the Ruger Forum members that have responded to my post.

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
I always keep the action parts and requset they convert it if I have a gun refinished or worked on. That way they pay for the shipping both ways and it saved me about $100!

Then I put the original parts back in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts