Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what calibers and models the original Vaquero was issued.

I am trying to find out if the original Vaquero was ever issued in the Sheriff's Model in .44mag or .357. I have one in 45 Colt and I would like to add other calibers to the collection specifically in the Sheriff's Model.

I have a Vaquero in 44 mag with the 4 5/8" barrel, but I am looking for the shorter version. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Hey Meeteetse - I'll take a stab at helping you with this. I checked a reference I have and do not see a true "Sheriff's Model" with a 3-5/8" barrel except in 45 Colt. That was a special distributor model made in limited quantities. However, there is listed another distributor special model, the KBNV-33SI (Ruger model 0507) that is in .357 Mag with a 3-5/8" barrel, simulated ivory grip and a scrimshawed Ruger eagle logo on the bottom of the grip. This would be in a high polish SS finish. A total of 1,652 were shipped from 2001 to 2003 to AcuSport and William's Shooter's Supply (IL). This is similar to the Sheriff's Model in many respects, especially the high polish SS version.

This reference makes no mention of any .44 Mag with a 3-5/8" barrel.

Looks like there are some .357 Mag versions out there - happy hunting!

Wave

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the information. At least this gives me something to search for. I suppose I was hoping that Ruger would have made a run of short barrel guns in each caliber. My search will continue. Thanks again.

I'll be interested to see if anyone else has information.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Taking a guess that Waveform check a RENE reference. Was going to do the same. I have one of the "sheriff model" in 45LC, the standard grip not the birds head one. I've seen them in .357 but as above, don't recall any in .44 magnum. There was/is a SBH in .44mag with a 3.75" bbl via Talo.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Taking a guess that Waveform check a RENE reference. Was going to do the same. I have one of the "sheriff model" in 45LC, the standard grip not the birds head one. I've seen them in .357 but as above, don't recall any in .44 magnum. There was/is a SBH in .44mag with a 3.75" bbl via Talo.
Good guess BlkHawk73 - looked it up in Chad's RENE book. Great resource once you get your head around it.

Wave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts