Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I recently got a P95 DC Stainless with 1 mag and case for $250 used but in excellent condition and have 2 questions:

1-Was $250 a good price?
2-What is the difference between the DC, DAO and any other models of the P95?

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,415 Posts
AZRat, Looks like you got a good deal on the P95. There have been several variations of the P-95. DC is a decocker model ... probably the most desirable for a carry gun. It doesn't have a manual safety, just a lever to decock the hammer. The current model P-95 and has a manual safety that also functions as a decocker. The DAO model is double action only and has the long heavy trigger pull for each shot. All the models were available with both blue and stainless slides. Anything stainless will start with "K". Yours should be a KP95DC.

·
Registered
68 Posts
In my opinion $250 for any reliable, functioning gun is good.

Safety - Manual Safety
DC - Decock
DAO - Double Action Only

Here is what happens after you cycle the slide and put a round is in the chamber.

Manual Safety - Rotating the lever on the slide drops hammer safely, stays in "Safe" position. Gun cannot be fired until lever is manually place back into "Fire" position and trigger is squeezed. First trigger squeeze cocks the hammer & fires, giving you 2 actions in 1 pull, or Double Action. Slide cycles, ejects empty shell casing and cocks hammer. Next trigger squeeze only fires, 1 action 1 pull, Single Action. This is also known as DA/SA Double Action/Single Action or TDA Traditional Double Action

Decock - Similar to Manual Safety where rotating the lever on the slide drops the hammer safely, but the lever then springs back and returns to "Fire" position when released. Firing is then DA/SA action as described above. No need to rotate "safety" lever before firing.

DAO - There is no lever on the slide. Trigger squeeze cocks the hammer & fires, giving you 2 actions in 1 pull, or Double Action. Slide cycles, ejects empty shell casing but does not cock the hammer. Next trigger squeeze cocks and fires. Each trigger squeeze is only Double Action, hence Double Action Only.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys...I took it out to the desert today and it shoots great! Are there suppose to be 2 mags with this?
So when the lever is pushed the hammer falls and does NOT fire? Sounds dangerouse.

·
Registered
123 Posts
when you move lever to safety, the firing pin is pulled in no way hammer can contact it very safe.
just un nerving the 1st time you keep a round in chamber and put safetey on:D

·
Super Moderator
16,253 Posts
Congrats on your P95DC purchase! $250 (in good used condition) is a fair price. I've put over 1500 rounds in mine and have found it to be a great firearm (You will eventually get comfortable with the decocker feature .... but the first few times you drop the hammer with one in the chamber, it does feel a little odd)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts