Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Ruger KP-95D, which I like, but it is the only P series I have fired. My son has expressed interest in one, and is looking at the KP95DPR15. But I have been wondering about some features of the P-89D. Because the P-89 has the aluminum grip frame as opposed to the polymer P-95, would the P-89 be less prone to jamming from limp-wristing? And, because the P-89 barrel is about 1/2 inch longer, would it be more accurate in theory? I know the P-89 is a few ounces heavier, but can't imagine the extra weight would be a problem. Any thoughts? Any advice? Thanks, John

·
Registered
333 Posts
The P89 is a great gun, I find mine very accurate, never had a jam once in mine even limp-wristing when the wife fires it, Its seen over 5k rounds out it! They are a great gun, worth buying!

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
I have the P95DPR15. I have tried to "limp wrist" it... with no success... As for the recoil, the polymer frame soaks recoil to almost none... That was why I chose the P95 over the P89. My 8 year old grandson shot 4 magaizines through mine and then I had to "pry" him off of it...:D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From all the recent articles on this and other forums, looks like maybe the p95dpr15 DOES have a FTE/FTF problem.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Any gun can have problems...I've read of problems with just about any pistol made-but prone to have problems-only one Ruger I've heard of has many problems often-and that one has proponents who've never had a glitch----go figure. Both the P89 and P95 have earned respect and trust from thousands of shooters-either could have a problem but neither is likely to have one...you would be happy with either-I would choose the KP95 over the P89 because I carry in such a manner the KP95 would suit me better. No other brand would be better-now take that advice and $1.29 and it might get you a cup of coffee-tip the waitress the difference between either Ruger and the "other" brands and she'll love you for it!! Your son would love either-but be careful-my 13-year-old son outshoots me most days[:I]

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,369 Posts
John, You really can't go wrong with any of the P-guns except the P-345. The P-345 has some problematic designs that need to be corrected before I would consider buying another one. With the other P-guns, yes occasionally one will escape the factory with some issues but for the most part, they are very stable and are an excellent buy. I wouldn't put too much stock in things you see on the forums about FTE FTF because they are isolated incidents that can happen with any brand or model.

Personally, I like guns with removable grip pannels so I can change to something that fits better.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
My P89DC is my favoite P-series Ruger. It's accurate, tough & is the workhorse of my collection.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
I have owned both and both are fine guns. Just put a P90 on lay a way too. I have carried a P89 for the last several years as my CCW gun. Trust it with my life if that is good enough of a recomendation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts