Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
they were designed for military/police trials.
Is that so?
2 questions:
1.Was P85 designed for military/police?
2.Are they most reliable Ruger pistols?

·
Super Moderator
21,213 Posts
The only failure I have ever on a P series had was a pregnant reload and that was the failure of the guy making the round, namely me. I have owned the the pistol for 25 years and that is it. My particular P94 is a police overrun and it is n .40 S&W.

·
Exchequer
4,435 Posts
The P85 was the first model in the P series, and yes, it was designed by Ruger to be a police sidearm. It and the PC9 (Police Carbine 9mm) were designed to complement each other. The magazines are interchangeable between the P85 and the PC9. Some of the other P-series pistols in 9mm also share mags with the PC9.

Whether they are the most reliable pistols made by Ruger is arguable. But the P series is generally known to be well-made, reliable, tough, not picky about ammo, and pretty accurate. The early P series pistols were all metal (except for the grips) and that may help account for their durability and toughness.

One of the reasons I purchased a well-used P85, was to have a 9mm pistol that would share mags with my PC9. Both the carbine and the pistol are solid and accurate.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
P guns are big, blocky and their beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But they are incredibly reliable. My first pistol was a KP90DC and not knowing anything about guns I lucked out by having purchased an incredibly reliable and accurate gun. I can't remember my P90 ever having a malfunction and if it has it has been 3 or less in thousands of rounds.

And no, the P90 was not designed to also be a 10mm.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Wasn't the P85 decocker a problem on some guns? You would try to decock and it would go bang? Youtube has some really great videos.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Had the P90. It worked but ultimately met the swap table as it was just too large. The 1911 was streamlined in comparison. Nothing wrong with the pistol, just didn't thrill me either.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,570 Posts
I own one or two of every p series made from 85 to 345, and I have never had a malfunction, or problem. Been shooting them since 1998. Are they a browning highpower, or ed brown 1911, no, but they are very reliable as a kalashnikov rifle. The energizer bunny of pistols.

I think i do remember reading the P85 was being shown to the military when the beretta had not been picked yet, and they were looking to replace the 1911, but i may be wrong.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a p89dc and the only time it has failed is when I bought some cheap ammo, that I was told was made for machine guns.
(all fired on 2nd trigger pull)

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have a p89dc and the only time it has failed is when I bought some cheap ammo, that I was told was made for machine guns.
(all fired on 2nd trigger pull)
I have some Wolf "Mil-Spec" has the lacquer, and purple sealer. My Glock didn't like it. Hard primers. I have over 1000rds of it.

·
Exchequer
4,435 Posts
Wasn't the P85 decocker a problem on some guns? You would try to decock and it would go bang? Youtube has some really great videos.
The early P85 was recalled for a safety/decocker fix. The recall was the result, I believe, of "only" one incident involving an accidental discharge. Still, one AD is enough if it happens to you! The recalled P85s were retrofitted/ repaired by Ruger and the safety/decocker was affixed with an "MK II R" to show it had been taken care of.

I happen to own one of the old P85 pistols that had been sent in for the recall and it is, in my opinion, ugly as sin, accurate as a pistol can be, and built like the proverbial tank.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,570 Posts
The early P85 was recalled for a safety/decocker fix. The recall was the result, I believe, of "only" one incident involving an accidental discharge. Still, one AD is enough if it happens to you! The recalled P85s were retrofitted/ repaired by Ruger and the safety/decocker was affixed with an "MK II R" to show it had been taken care of.

I happen to own one of the old P85 pistols that had been sent in for the recall and it is, in my opinion, ugly as sin, accurate as a pistol can be, and built like the proverbial tank.
Yep, have a mkII upgrade as well, i do like the 89's larger decocker lever.

·
Registered
538 Posts
The original P85 was designed with the intent of capturing the XM9 DoD pistol contract; unfortunately, it wasn't ready in time. It did compete successfully (from all reports I've had) in the XM10 trial, but that trial was Beretta's to lose, which they didn't. Organizationlly, the P85 was adopted as an issue weapon by the Israeli Air Force, Long Beach PD, Wisconsin Hghway Patrol, and the Bureau of Prisons.

The P89 was essentially the commercial verson of the contractually modified P85 that competed in the XM10 trials.

Best, Jon

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have a p97dc that has been fired very little. it is big, it is blocky, but boy does that gun run. One of the most accurate 45 ACP semis that I own. That includes Kimber Royal, Les Baers with 1.5 guarantee etc etc. The P-Series guns are still great.
I don't have or shoot anything in 9 mm so I don't personally know about those, but in 45 ACP the p97dc is at the top of the list as far as accuracy and reliability. It is one of those that will stick around in my safe for many many years, when most of the others will have gone away.

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
I have a p97dc that has been fired very little. it is big, it is blocky, but boy does that gun run. One of the most accurate 45 ACP semis that I own. That includes Kimber Royal, Les Baers with 1.5 guarantee etc etc. The P-Series guns are still great.
I don't have or shoot anything in 9 mm so I don't personally know about those, but in 45 ACP the p97dc is at the top of the list as far as accuracy and reliability. It is one of those that will stick around in my safe for many many years, when most of the others will have gone away.
The 9's and 40's are also solid work horses ...

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have a P94DC. Never shot it. If I don't get a call for some work today it will get tested on the back deck at the distance of 38yds.

·
Registered
169 Posts
i have the p95dc in 9mm....bought it new to accompany my pc9 carbine. runs good, shoots accurately and is very reliable.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts