• Ruger p Series

Votes: 15 65.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think they are both great but I give the edge to the American simply because of ease of takedown and has so far been every bit as reliable as my p series Rugers. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
836 Posts
They are both good pistols. I think it's a 50/50 .......and thats what the poll shows.

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
732 Posts
Bonz,

I know what you're trying to do, but you're trying to compare two very different pistols. You're asking the type of question as "which dog breed is better?" or "which cat breed is better?" or "which truck is better?"

Yes, they're both semi-auto pistols, but therein lies their similarities. Otherwise, they're operationally different. The P-Series are hammer-fired while the Americans are striker-fired, a main difference being the Ps have a second-strike capability, while the Americans do not. Ps can be cocked and fired single-action, while the Americans have only one trigger pull. Some may place value on such things over the other.

Some Ps are alloy and the Americans are polymer. The Americans have higher magazine capacities (where not limited by law), I believe.

I have both in .45. I shoot the P90 better, but that's due to the work I had to put in to get good at shooting it. I'm not there yet with the .45 RAP. .45ACP seems to be a challenging caliber for me to shoot well.

If I were to judge on defensive use, I would say that I would lean toward the RAP for the following reasons, which really are not due to any real shortcomings of my P90 except for its "obsolescence":
  • RAP has 10-round (10+1?) capacity, when my P90 has 8 (8+1, but very tight)
  • RAP is still a supported platform, while P90 parts are getting more and more scarce and Ruger does not support it
  • My RAP version does not have a manual safety
  • I am more used to striker-fired or Single Action semi-autos. My P90 is my only DA/SA auto
So, I guess, I grudgingly selected the American.

My P90TH:

My .45 American:

Aqualung

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bonz,

I know what you're trying to do, but you're trying to compare two very different pistols. You're asking the type of question as "which dog breed is better?" or "which cat breed is better?" or "which truck is better?"

Yes, they're both semi-auto pistols, but therein lies their similarities. Otherwise, they're operationally different. The P-Series are hammer-fired while the Americans are striker-fired, a main difference being the Ps have a second-strike capability, while the Americans do not. Ps can be cocked and fired single-action, while the Americans have only one trigger pull. Some may place value on such things over the other.

Some Ps are alloy and the Americans are polymer. The Americans have higher magazine capacities (where not limited by law), I believe.

I have both in .45. I shoot the P90 better, but that's due to the work I had to put in to get good at shooting it. I'm not there yet with the .45 RAP. .45ACP seems to be a challenging caliber for me to shoot well.

If I were to judge on defensive use, I would say that I would lean toward the RAP for the following reasons, which really are not due to any real shortcomings of my P90 except for its "obsolescence":
  • RAP has 10-round (10+1?) capacity, when my P90 has 8 (8+1, but very tight)
  • RAP is still a supported platform, while P90 parts are getting more and more scarce and Ruger does not support it
  • My RAP version does not have a manual safety
  • I am more used to striker-fired or Single Action semi-autos. My P90 is my only DA/SA auto
So, I guess, I grudgingly selected the American.

My P90TH:
View attachment 145034

My .45 American:
View attachment 145035

Aqualung
I see what you are saying. I only compare the two because they are both in their time at shot at some military contract from Ruger. I think they are both fantastic. I have multiple of each. Just seeing a general consensus of what people like better and why. No real science or reason other than that for this post lol

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
732 Posts
I see what you are saying. I only compare the two because they are both in their time at shot at some military contract from Ruger. I think they are both fantastic. I have multiple of each. Just seeing a general consensus of what people like better and why. No real science or reason other than that for this post lol
We're good. I hope I didn't come across as argumentative, which wasn't my intent. ;)

I forgot to add my personal upsides of my P90 over my RAP:
  • I shoot it better (mentioned)
  • It handles my lead round nose loads, while my RAP doesn't (might be my loading technique...remains to be investigated)
  • The RAP looks cool, but the P90 just looks so much more bad-azz! :cool:
I'll never wear either of them out...

Aqualung

Reactions: Bonz

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We're good. I hope I didn't come across as argumentative, which wasn't my intent. ;)

I forgot to add my personal upsides of my P90 over my RAP:
  • I shoot it better (mentioned)
  • It handles my lead round nose loads, while my RAP doesn't (might be my loading technique...remains to be investigated)
  • The RAP looks cool, but the P90 just looks so much more bad-azz! :cool:
I'll never wear either of them out...

Aqualung
No not at all. I asked for reasons why people chose what they chose. You responded accordingly. My personal opinion is the p series are a gold standard of reliability and durability. I would say the American series comes close, but nothing beats the almighty P Series!

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
The beavertail of the RAP doesn't agree with my hand, otherwise I found the RAP to be a great pistol. But I still prefer the P series, they're just kinda special. I prefer the trigger too; I really don't care for striker fired guns. I've tried, really I have, but I just don't.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,748 Posts
Im a die hard P series owner, and shooter, so its only logical my vote. I have shot the american. sr series to, and its just not me. I feel my glock already has that role filled. Not that the american or SR are bad pistols, just not my favorite. I perfer hamner fired to striker fired.

The takedown on a P series is as simple as it gets, only thing more simple would be break action shotgun. 😉

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im a die hard P series owner, and shooter, so its only logical my vote. I have shot the american. sr series to, and its just not me. I feel my glock already has that role filled. Not that the american or SR are bad pistols, just not my favorite. I perfer hamner fired to striker fired.

The takedown on a P series is as simple as it gets, only thing more simple would be break action shotgun. 😉
I'm a huge fan of the p series myself, they are actually what got me into semi auto pistols. I agree the takedown is simple, I could do it in my sleep. I personally like both the series so much that I was just looking for any little thing the American has over the p series. On the other hand the p series has double strike capabilities, they both do different things great. Ask me tomorrow and my vote could change, it is that close for me

·
Registered
261 Posts
Except for the P90, the RAP is a much more accurate pistol than any P series gun.

·
Registered
7,984 Posts
I vote P series as well, not a striker fire type guy. The grips on the P series fit my long fingers like a glove. Whoever said the P series was hard to break down is just wtong. It's easy peasy if you ask me. Straight forward process ...

Reactions: Tacky

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I vote P series as well, not a striker fire type guy. The grips on the P series fit my long fingers like a glove. Whoever said the P series was hard to break down is just wtong. It's easy peasy if you ask me. Straight forward process ...
Nobody said they were hard to break down.....

·
Registered
169 Posts
I love Rugers in SS. My new to me P89 is well built, great to shoot and looks good to boot. Tried the polymer ones and just was not for me.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
When they offer a new option in the Ruger American Pistol series with a hammer, then I might consider a RAP.

Reactions: rmichael63

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When they offer a new option in the Ruger American Pistol series with a hammer, then I might consider a RAP.
I've honestly thought that from the beginning. That would be awesome. Also bring it out in 10mm

·
Registered
107 Posts
Having both a P89 and an American in 9mm, it's a somewhat tough choice for me. There are aspects of both guns that I appreciate and aspects that I wish I could change, though both are overall excellent pistols. At the end of the day, however, if I had to keep one and let the other go, I'd keep my P89, primarily because I have tons of spare parts stocked up for it. Another aspect that would make me choose the P89 has nothing to do with functionality, and that is nostalgia. I first started getting interested in guns as a kid in the very early 1980s, and the P89 invokes that time with its design and feel, giving it sentimental appeal that the American, as good as it is, doesn't have for me.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts