Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to ask a few questions about Ruger P85 and early P89 magazines. First, does anyone know if I can purchase replacement magazine base plates anywhere for a good price (not more than $8 each maybe)? If not, does anyone know of a list of other magazines that have compatible base plates (e.g. the Beretta M9 surplus mags)? I could buy the magazine for a good surplus price and use the base plate as a sacrificial part for rust, etc...

I wish Mec-Gar made the P85 magazines in stainless, I bought one nickel plated one and have a few of the blued ones. I am just glad they are still making them at all to be truthful but a one time stainless run of P85 magazines would be great! I don't know how durable the nickel coating is but for the P85 I would prefer a dull stainless over the flashy nickel but still better than my OEM magazines rusting.

If anyone has any experience swapping base plates please let me know. I assume the Mec-Gar will fit the original P85 mags but was thinking of either surplus or cheaper priced magazines to salvage base plates from or breaking down and getting two stainless magazines off gunbroker. Anyone have any experience with stainless P85 magazines by Pachmayr or other 3rd party manufactures (see attached image).

I would think Pachmayr magazines may be a good choice but Mec-Gar is the only 3rd party magazine company I have ever trusted for any firearms outside of AR mags. Thought you all may be able to provide some insight into the base plate interchangeability as well as old stainless magazines to look for and ones to avoid.

Thanks,
Sean

Attached is a stainless magazine listed on gunbroker but I can't tell who the manufacturer is; any ideas and feedback on quality of this offering would be welcomed.

Attachments

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,890 Posts
The one in the picture looks like a Pro-mag.The P85/89/94 9mm magazines all interchange. Chances of finding just the base plates is very unlikely.Suggestion is to go to gun shows and buy the ones that are available.I would not recommend any of the aftermarket magazines.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the follow up. I definitely wouldn't want to trust Promag due to personal experience with an LCP Promag and common knowledge not to stray from OEM (other than Mec-Gar).

So did Ruger make a high capacity stainless magazine for the P85 or early P89 (not the newer plastic bottom mags)? I know that maybe about the time they would have made the stainless magazines the 10rd limitation was being enforced so I didn't know if Ruger made some 15rd stainless magazines before or after the ban that are the older design 15rd. metal base plate mags that worked with the P85? I recently bought a P89 and decided to invest in a few more magazines but don't care to get P89 only variants if I can get the older design in stainless.

Thanks,
Sean

1 - 4 of 4 Posts